D. Appleton vs. J. Miller 2012 Tunica

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The option that Jimmy B. and Stroud suggested...playing into the 3ball and moving the 3-5- and 10ball isn't all that bad of an option. I can see that option turning the break around. However with selecting that option I would have to be confident that the 3ball would go directly into the 10ball, as opposed to the 3ball hitting underneath the 10ball. This option plays out better if the 10ball is moved in the fashion I described.

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Hope I don't make one !
Rod.

MY shot and my thinking, lol.

I like the idea of nipping the 10-ball to knock it away from my opponent's hole at the same time (John Brumback's shot & I think Hacker mentions it too), but I'd be worried about the 10 bouncing back up and disturbing my cue ball cover... so I'd probably keep it simple like Androd said.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Stop !!!! Thin off the 1ball is not the shot. In this situation you MUSTposition the 1ball on your side of the table. Positioning the 1ball on your side of the table is what makes this option a viable one. If you just thin off the 1ball you then will leave your opponent an easy return safety by thning off either the 13ball or the 2ball and putting you back in the same spot that you just shot from.:eek:

Dr. Bill

well if you thin hit the 1 ball and dont bank it to your side of the table. Your opponent will play the 2 6 combo off the 9 ball into the 10 ball(possibly making something) while leaving the cueball back uptable close to the side rail again. So if your shot is to do something with the 1 ball you can't thin it. However im still hooting the 14 ball to clear the 10 ball out and following off the 3 ball down near the pocket.

THood

From
Westford, MA
If I'm feeling chippy I bank the 14 toward my long rail, not to make the 15, I want balls on both my long and short rails. If I'm uncomfortable with my proximity to the rail shooting the bank, I'm thinning the 3 and gluing whitey to the back of the 10. That splits the 3-5 and let's me live to fight another round.

oldroller

Verified Member
Hooting

Hooting

I used to know a guy that talked like that.Brings back memories

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Appleton shot the 14 behind the 10 and cleared 'em both out. He was very fortunate:). Tough shot with the 10 so far from both rails.

da4.jpg

He left it here:

daz leave.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Appleton shot the 14 behind the 10 and cleared 'em both out. He was very fortunate:). Tough shot with the 10 so far from both rails.

View attachment 7581

He left it here:

View attachment 7582
Ha ha -- came out great but looking at Dennis's lines for the way the balls went, holy sh*t the 14 and the 10 both could easily have blown his cue ball cover all to hell. I love the results but it was definitely too haphazard for my taste -- given much more controlled choices were readily available.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
He must have clubbed it pretty good. Look at the path of the 14, as it hit the long rail, three different balls and wound up halfway up the table. What was
Appleton thinking, leaving a shot on the 9 ball for Miller to start a run? The 14 moved it and saved him from a bad error.

The Greek playwrights made good use of a tactic that was known as 'deus ex machina', (God from the machine). When they wrote themselves into a corner, they would produce a god on the stage, lowering him with a crane or employing a trap door in the floor, and he would perform a miracle that solved the problem. I see pool players resorting to such measures regularly.

No, I never studied any Greek playwrights - just offering a bit of trivia. The muslims say 'allah akhbar'. I say 'Google is great'. Be well.

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Ha ha -- came out great but looking at Dennis's lines for the way the balls went, holy sh*t the 14 and the 10 both could easily have blown his cue ball cover all to hell. I love the results but it was definitely too haphazard for my taste -- given much more controlled choices were readily available.

Game winning shot.. whats the problem. To play one pocket at a high level you have to take some calculated risks and a little luck doesn't hurt LOL. How do you think you are going to beat Efren when he was king? sit around and bunt balls and praying for a mistake or being aggressive? What do you think makes Scott Frost the best? He IS NOT the best mover but he is the most aggressive and able to execute. The only other shot that was worth anything in the long run was Billy I's suggestion of banking the 1 ball to your side(not thinning it) and leaving the cueball downtable. If anyone doesn't understand why you should bank the 1 ball to your side and not thin it they should speak up an dont be afraid to ask.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Game winning shot.. whats the problem. To play one pocket at a high level you have to take some calculated risks and a little luck doesn't hurt LOL. How do you think you are going to beat Efren when he was king? sit around and bunt balls and praying for a mistake or being aggressive? What do you think makes Scott Frost the best? He IS NOT the best mover but he is the most aggressive and able to execute. The only other shot that was worth anything in the long run was Billy I's suggestion of banking the 1 ball to your side(not thinning it) and leaving the cueball downtable. If anyone doesn't understand why you should bank the 1 ball to your side and not thin it they should speak up an dont be afraid to ask.

Looks like he got away with it.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Looks like he got away with it.

By the way he hit the 14 ball to deep into the 10 ball. If the 14 ball hit the rail a little higher thinning the 10 ball more, then th 14 ball would have went toward the 15 ball instead of towards the 9 ball. Just because someone doesn't hit a shot absolutely 100% perfect does not mean it wasn't the right shot.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

Billy said to send the cueball uptable. I'm confused again.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Exactly, luck is the residue of skill. Have you noticed that good players seem to get lucky ...more often... than everyone else? The reason that is, is because in order to win in difficult situations quite often taking a chance is your best option. However, good players minimize bad things from happening, mainly because their more accurate with the speed and accuracy of the hit of shots. Which in turn enables them to end up with a higher success rate than others. Even Reyes will tell you that. I got lucky

All joking aside. Sometimes taking a chance is your best option, unless you feel that your opponent will give you something you don't deserve. Then in that case look for something to buy a little time, but don't rely on that happening too often.

The shots discussed here were all good options (if executed well):D

Dr. Bill

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Exactly, luck is the residue of skill. Have you noticed that good players seem to get lucky ...more often... than everyone else? The reason that is, is because in order to win in difficult situations quite often taking a chance is your best option. However, good players minimize bad things from happening, mainly because their more accurate with the speed and accuracy of the hit of shots. Which in turn enables them to end up with a higher success rate than others. Even Reyes will tell you that. I got lucky

All joking aside. Sometimes taking a chance is your best option, unless you feel that your opponent will give you something you don't deserve. Then in that case look for something to buy a little time, but don't rely on that happening too often.

The shots discussed here were all good options (if executed well):D

Dr. Bill

A golfer friend once told me "A putt that's too short never goes in".

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Billy said to send the cueball uptable. I'm confused again.

Billy said to bank the 1 ball toward your side and bring the cueball downtable toward the corner pocket and the first diamond on your side rail. That angle will leave the opponent doubled up (cant see the 10 ball because the 3?5 are in the way) freddy is suggesting thinning the 1 ball and bringing the cueball back across table probably not as close to the corner pocket but still not letting you see the 10 ball... The problem is if you dont bring the 1 ball over to your side rail your opponent is going to shoot the 2/6 combo off the 9 ball into the 10 ball and bring you back uptable on the side rail again where you still can't make your 15 ball. If the 1 ball is on your rail he is unable to shoot the 2/6 combo and leave you safe on everything

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
advanced thinking

advanced thinking

Billy said to bank the 1 ball toward your side and bring the cueball downtable toward the corner pocket and the first diamond on your side rail. That angle will leave the opponent doubled up (cant see the 10 ball because the 3?5 are in the way) freddy is suggesting thinning the 1 ball and bringing the cueball back across table probably not as close to the corner pocket but still not letting you see the 10 ball... The problem is if you dont bring the 1 ball over to your side rail your opponent is going to shoot the 2/6 combo off the 9 ball into the 10 ball and bring you back uptable on the side rail again where you still can't make your 15 ball. If the 1 ball is on your rail he is unable to shoot the 2/6 combo and leave you safe on everything
Everything you explained is spot on. However, I would like to go to another level that most players may be oblivious, or unmindful of.:sorry Really not trying to sell people short but this is a little "tid bit" worthy of mentioning. When bringing the 1ball cross table to your side, it will serve you better ..not to leave the 1ball and cue ball parallel to one another, close to the side rail. With this result your opponent will shoot the 1ball into the 15ball and move both balls while stopping the cue ball.:eek: I understand that this is at times hard to control, but something to think about when playing shots that carry similar results.

Dr. Bill

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

"Providing that the 13ball isn't the shot then I would play off the 14ball. The way the angle looks to me on the 14ball suggest, that my most "accurate" and "safest" hit would be to send the 14ball toward the 15ball. :eek: That could work out good or "iffy". Iffy, meaning that if I made the 15ball I would then find myself locked up again.:eek:

There is another option that would be a useful one for many players if it's available. This type of option often is a way out of situations similar to this one. That would be to bank the 1ball to your side and run up table with the cue ball. This option would put two balls on your side of the table, and leaving distance also as an ally. Plus he would not be able to shoot the 10ball unless he plays a low% combination.:D The reason I said that this option (if available) was a good option for many players, is because this option is much easier to execute then probably the best option (for some) shooting the 14ball. :confused:

Sorry if I confused some people, however, like I have often said. ...Shoot the shot that best fits your skill level.....even if it's not the best option. But for you it is.;)

Dr. Bill"

I get the idea. What Dr. Bill called "up table", you call "down table". Thanks for clearing that up.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am not so sure it was a game winning shot (quite yet :) ) -- Appleton wacked it so hard he didn't leave anything near his hole that wasn't already there. Can't Miller just put Appleton back on the side rail off the 14 -- or even the 3-ball if the 3-ball blocks him from hitting the 14?

Had I played the 14 off the 10, I would have been hitting it pocket speed for the 14 -- aiming for a light clip of the 10 and burying the cue ball on the 11, not letting it go forward. The 10 would not have cleared the area my way, but I would be more assured of a good strong threat on my side to go along with the 15 (ball up 14 and ball down 15), and I would have nudged the 10 ball a little (hopefully).

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-01-09_14-10-37.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-01-09_14-10-37.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

onepockethacker

Verified Member
"Providing that the 13ball isn't the shot then I would play off the 14ball. The way the angle looks to me on the 14ball suggest, that my most "accurate" and "safest" hit would be to send the 14ball toward the 15ball. :eek: That could work out good or "iffy". Iffy, meaning that if I made the 15ball I would then find myself locked up again.:eek:

There is another option that would be a useful one for many players if it's available. This type of option often is a way out of situations similar to this one. That would be to bank the 1ball to your side and run up table with the cue ball. This option would put two balls on your side of the table, and leaving distance also as an ally. Plus he would not be able to shoot the 10ball unless he plays a low% combination.:D The reason I said that this option (if available) was a good option for many players, is because this option is much easier to execute then probably the best option (for some) shooting the 14ball. :confused:

Sorry if I confused some people, however, like I have often said. ...Shoot the shot that best fits your skill level.....even if it's not the best option. But for you it is.;)

Dr. Bill"

I get the idea. What Dr. Bill called "up table", you call "down table". Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah I guess I should of said uptable..my bad but you get the point