Solve a riddle__win a prize

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
The question isn't about pool but the prize is. It's a set of my ARCHER/REYES DVDs, an EDDIE TAYLOR AND THE LEGENDS OF POOL DVD and my IN SEARCH OF THE SAMURAI...CJ WILEY at the ALL JAPAN TOURNAMENT documentary. The first answer wins so here goes:

You are in a room with two exit doors. One of them leads to FREEDOM and one leads to DEATH. There are two guards guarding the doors. One of the guards must tell you the truth and the other must lie to you. You only have one question to save yourself, that you can ask to only one guard.
WHAT WOULD YOU ASK TO INSURE YOUR FREEDOM?

Pool players have such analytical minds, I'm sure this will get knocked out quickly.
Keep it fun. Alfie

JAM

Verified Member
The question isn't about pool but the prize is. It's a set of my ARCHER/REYES DVDs, an EDDIE TAYLOR AND THE LEGENDS OF POOL DVD and my IN SEARCH OF THE SAMURAI...CJ WILEY at the ALL JAPAN TOURNAMENT documentary. The first answer wins so here goes:

You are in a room with two exit doors. One of them leads to FREEDOM and one leads to DEATH. There are two guards guarding the doors. One of the guards must tell you the truth and the other must lie to you. You only have one question to save yourself, that you can ask to only one guard.

Pool players have such analytical minds, I'm sure this will get knocked out quickly.
Keep it fun. Alfie

Okay, I'll play. :D

I was ask the guard to DEATH one question: "If I ask the Guard of Freedom which door leads to freedom, what will his answer be?"

Whatever answer I am given by the guard of DEATH, I will do the opposite, which will be to open the Door of Freedom, I hope. ;)

JAM

Verified Member

I was ask the guard to DEATH one question: "If I ask the Guard of Freedom which door leads to freedom, what will his answer be?"

Whatever answer I am given by the guard of DEATH, I will do the opposite, which will be to open the Door of Freedom, I hope. ;)

This is not a hard contest, Mr. Taylor, becuase the answer can be found by a mere Google search, which I must admit I did. :eek:

A cool contest might be a piece of pool trivia that is not found on a Google search. What that is, however, you must dig into your memory banks and find it.

Bob Jewett had a contest recently that was difficult, but since I am a so-called "professional" when it comes to searching on Google, as I do it in my job 24/7, I found the answer to Bob's contest. And I won a prize. First time ever I won anything in pool. I was happy. :cool:

With your depth of knowledge, I know you will come with a cool idea for another contest down the road. Of course, maybe this contest, you are looking for the most creative answer. If so, I will have to work on another entry to contribute to this thread! :D

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member

Nice try but there are no 'Guards of freedom or death". Only doors of freedom and death. You know nothing about which guard is which.
Carefull, don't turn that knob. We like having you around.

JAM

Verified Member
Nice try but there are no 'Guards of freedom or death". Only doors of freedom and death. You know nothing about which guard is which.
Carefull, don't turn that knob. We like having you around.

Yikes! :eek: I stand corrected. :D

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
answer

answer

as far as freedom or death is concerned, they are the same in philosophy, so it matters not which door to choose... as far as logic is concerned JAM had it pretty much correct, ask either guard what door the other guard would say is freedom, then go out the opposite of what either says...

Just saying...

B

ps I have all three of the prizes, send mine to JAM

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The way I heard it was that the guard can only answer with yes or no to your question. So you would go up to either one and say the following. "If I ask that other guard if this is the door to freedom, what will he say? Obviously you would be pointing or indicating one of the doors. One can then deduce the door to freedom. If you ask the truth teller he will correctly say that the liar will say No if it is indeed the freedom door. And the liar will say No also because he will be telling a lie about what the truth teller is saying. Are you with me so far??

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I heard a similar riddle many year ago and the solution was to ask the question, "If I had asked you yesterday which door was the door to Freedom, what would you have answered?" Either guard will give you the correct answer.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Keep it fun. Alfie

To insure my freedom I'd find out....

''Who's playing their best right now"....and play em.

No one kills good action....;)

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I think I would ask either guard which door would the other guard tell me to go through. The lier would reverse what the truth tell would say and the truth teller would tell the truth of what the lier would say which would be a lie. I then would go through the opposite door of what ever answer I got.

Skin

Verified Member
I'd wait it out until their shift was over and then leave by the same door they did. :rolleyes:

Skin

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I'd slid one of them a Ben Franklin and say "call me a cab"

Pel :lol

Ok Boss. You're a Cab. Hmmmm. No you're not. I know what you are.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Ask one guard if he can point one finger at the liar, and the other finger at the exit door. If he points at himself, take the opposite door he points at. If he points at the other guy, take the same door he points at. Do I win? lol

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I would ask if my eyes are brown. (They are). If I get a correct answer I'm going in, otherwise I go to the other door. Any question where the answer is obvious would work like do I have laces in my shoes or do I have buttons on my shirt.

Dave

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA

Keep it fun. Alfie

....:lol.....I used to make money with this bet....I probably told you or the guy that told you....

.....you ask either guard....."if I ask the other guard wich door is the door to freedom...what would he tell me"......

...then you go out the opposit door.....

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Keep it fun. Alfie

....:lol.....I used to make money with this bet....I probably told you or the guy that told you....

.....you ask either guard....."if I ask the other guard with door is the door to freedom...what would he tell me"......

...then you go out the opposite door.....

This is a cute question that I've been knowing the answer to for years , however, if you word it like Alfie did and then answer it like you did you would lose your money to anyone with an IQ higher than that of an eggplant (that includes me:)).

You get ONE QUESTION, that's it. You propose to put forth a supposition AND THEN ask a question. You lose. No argument.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This is a cute question that I've been knowing the answer to for years , however, if you word it like Alfie did and then answer it like you did you would lose your money to anyone with an IQ higher than that of an eggplant (that includes me:)).

You get ONE QUESTION, that's it. You propose to put forth a supposition AND THEN ask a question. You lose. No argument.

Dennis

The Egg came before the chicken!!! I have proof.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I would ask "if you were the other guard and you wanted to get to freedom which door would you go through".

The guard who lies will tell you to go through the wrong door and the guard who tells the truth will tell you the same thing. You go through the other door
Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I would ask "if you were the other guard and you wanted to get to freedomThis is a supposition which door would you go through"This is your one question..

The guard who lies will tell you to go through the wrong door and the guard who tells the truth will tell you the same thing. You go through the other door
Tom

You lose. You get one question, not a supposition and a question.