Diamond tables and gold crowns

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the new (blue label?) diamonds were supposed to have different rail configurations to make them play like a gold crown
it seems that isnt true based on posters comments
for those of you that play on diamonds alot do you notice a difference in the newer version vs the old version(red label?)
and for those that play on both alot would you compare their playability.

bstroud

Verified Member
I have a blue label Diamond and it is a great table to play on.

Does it play more like a Gold Crown than the Red label?
I think so. It banks longer than the Red label.

It doesn't play like a Gold Crown though. Perhaps the rubber is old on the GCs that I play on because the bank angles are all over the place. A little spin on the cue ball makes a big difference in the angle of a bank.

The Diamond rails seem to be crisper and more predictable on a bank.
I like it much better but you have to play on what is available.

Bill S.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I was curious about the difference between the two generations of Diamond tables as well. I spoke to John B about this and he said that he didn't notice much difference between the red and blue labels at all. We talked about how the most important thing is to adjust to the conditions whatever they may be.

I've got the red label Diamond and being the pool fanatic that I am I immediately thought shit, now I have to have my rails rebuilt ha ha. I even explored having it done, but I realized that my stroke is the same regardless of table (though it's better now than before. As an aside, I think that there is an inverse relationship between stroke performance and marital happiness he he he...;)).

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
More a.....

More a.....

......philisophical than a mechanical or organic question.A red label in Georgia will play different than a red label in Ca or Wa.Plus they play different delending on day or night or with old,new 860 etc. etc.The only sure way Im thinking would be to have the same 3 tables in the same room.Unlikely but possible.The question is a good one as it brings out the unknown into the light,thanks,James

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I play on both and I think I am a very high level kicker on Gold Crowns {Thanks Grady}and my skill level on Diamonds drops considerably, especially on reverse kicks.
I can make the ball reverse more on Diamonds but I have little to no accuracy , whereas on Gold Crowns I am almost equally proficient with running english and reverse english.
I think some of my bad experiences with Diamonds has been due to table mechanic error.
I have been to poolrooms with several Diamond tables and one might play a full diamond short and the one right next to it plays 2 diamonds long.
I have seen every Tom Dick and Harry put together Gold Crowns and they play just fine but I think you have to know some things to set a Diamond up correctly.
I would love to hear RKC respond to this