Golf (on a pool/snooker table)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
At this time I will choose to enter into this discussion. Yes Larry 2 ball Golf was and is the toughest version of Golf played on a pool table. There is 1000 times more strategy in 2 ball golf compared to 1 ball Golf. Common sense will tell you that you have to play defense against 2 balls instead of 1 ball. Also the table at the Congress and the one now at Gold Crown billiards in Hollywood Florida are the toughest and tightest tables in the country..PERIOD!! The one in Bellflower has BUCKET pockets compared to these 2 tables:eek: and Im not joking!! We offered to let Parica play the 3 ball ghost on the table... HE DECLINED :eek: Bob Osborne, Carlos Hallon, Mike Carella etc. A 1 ball Golf player would HAVE ZERO CHANCE playing 2 ball golf with any of the players from Florida. The 1 ball golfers didnt and dont have the brains to figure out 2 ball golf. All the guys I mentioned played both versions of Golf 1 ball and 2 ball and they ALL agreed that 2 ball was a far superior version of Golf.

Rob; You are 100% correct in your assumption of the difference in the 2 games, night n day! Also correct about the pecking order of the players at the, "Congress Bowl" on that SUPER tight 6x12. As could as Mike could shoot, he couldn't beat Bob and Carlos, another, "niche" game player.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I played some golf years ago at a Bowling Alley in Portland that had some action and played one pocket with a guy name Brad on another trip. I can't remember which pool room it was at, but I think it was in Salem.

John, you may be referring to The Cue Ball. I was last up there in the later 90's. It was a great room in Salem with pretty fair Brunswick equipment. Hal Mix used to teach out of there...

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Golf

Golf

At this time I will choose to enter into this discussion. Yes Larry 2 ball Golf was and is the toughest version of Golf played on a pool table. There is 1000 times more strategy in 2 ball golf compared to 1 ball Golf. Common sense will tell you that you have to play defense against 2 balls instead of 1 ball. Also the table at the Congress and the one now at Gold Crown billiards in Hollywood Florida are the toughest and tightest tables in the country..PERIOD!! The one in Bellflower has BUCKET pockets compared to these 2 tables:eek: and Im not joking!! We offered to let Parica play the 3 ball ghost on the table... HE DECLINED :eek: Bob Osborne, Carlos Hallon, Mike Carella etc. A 1 ball Golf player would HAVE ZERO CHANCE playing 2 ball golf with any of the players from Florida. The 1 ball golfers didnt and dont have the brains to figure out 2 ball golf. All the guys I mentioned played both versions of Golf 1 ball and 2 ball and they ALL agreed that 2 ball was a far superior version of Golf.

They played a little two ball golf in California and your 2nd ball had to at least make it by the 3 hole (side) before you could go out.

The best player in the old days was a guy from Glendale named Johnny Camarillo, who was a stone all around pool room hustler who also played cards and pitched coins. He was fairly old in the early 60's and I don't know happened to him.

Frank Torres, a former U S Billiard Chamion, was unbeatable out here on a 5 x 10 at Tiff Paynes in No. Hollywood before he went to Las Vegas.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I played some golf years ago at a Bowling Alley in Portland that had some action and played one pocket with a guy name Brad on another trip. I can't remember which pool room it was at, but I think it was in Salem.

John, did you mean to say "you played some 'Stymie" ???...Can't believe you've never run across it !

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hold on big falla....!

Hold on big falla....!

At this time I will choose to enter into this discussion. Yes Larry 2 ball Golf was and is the toughest version of Golf played on a pool table. There is 1000 times more strategy in 2 ball golf compared to 1 ball Golf. Common sense will tell you that you have to play defense against 2 balls instead of 1 ball. Also the table at the Congress and the one now at Gold Crown billiards in Hollywood Florida are the toughest and tightest tables in the country..PERIOD!! The one in Bellflower has BUCKET pockets compared to these 2 tables:eek: and Im not joking!! We offered to let Parica play the 3 ball ghost on the table... HE DECLINED :eek: Bob Osborne, Carlos Hallon, Mike Carella etc. A 1 ball Golf player would HAVE ZERO CHANCE playing 2 ball golf with any of the players from Florida. The 1 ball golfers didnt and dont have the brains to figure out 2 ball golf.<--quite a rude remark, so unlike the NEW hacker.. :( All the guys I mentioned played both versions of Golf 1 ball and 2 ball and they ALL agreed that 2 ball was far superior.<--Then tell 'em to take it on the road, with Mellisa Little, she will get MUCH more action at bank pool, than they ever will at '2 ball' golf ! (expecially in "dueling banjo" country.) :eek:

Dear Mr. Melrose,

You may not have noticed, but this thread is 2 and 1/2 years old...It spans the time frame, that you and Fred and I, were engaged in all-out, verbal warfare...You guys would say "black", I would say "white", and vice versa..I thought you guys "I know it all, and everyone else is stupid" attitude, had mellowed somewhat...But I see that is NOT the case.

That being said, I see your vanity has reared its ugly head, AGAIN...Cuz' here you are, asserting your opinion, on a game you have proven you know LESS about, than any other responder in this thread..! :eek:..Except maybe for "the (deleted)", and Mr. POS,.. (who I see has joined YOUR team again.) What a break for Moi, LOMFKO

It doesn't take a rocket scientest, to realize that 2 ball golf, is a more complex game, requiring more pool skills, then the simpler one ball version (don't know about 1000 times, but whatever) The only point I EVER tried to impress on you, was that it NEVER gained universal acceptance, probably BECAUSE of its complexity !...For that reason, People like myself, RA, John H, and ANY other top level golfer, never bothered to learn its subtleties..Had we been raised in the gator infested 'swamp' (about the only place its played) I'm sure we would have found a way, to have played it as good, as it could be played...I don't remember ever seeing Jack Nicklaus, practicing his putting, on a cobblestone street, do you ?...Could that be because it ain't EVER gonna f-ing come up..:eek:

Thats probably also why we never bothered to learn 'billiards'... In our days we could have played '2000' games of golf, for every one of the 'niche' games we'd stumble across...Not trying to pull your chain again...but you really need to stick to a game you know at least a [sic]"LITTLE" something about !..LIKE BANK POOL !...Double ROTF-LMFAO :p :p :p

Most Respecfully,

Super '6X12' Duck <---Wishes he could still crawl,... He would fly to Fla, and offer Mr. Melrose, the side hole, at one ball golf.. ("No Brains required" you said) ..for large $$$$.

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Mr. Melrose,...you may not have noticed, but this thread is two and one half years old...It spans the time frame, that you and Fred and I, were engaged in all-out, verbal warfare...You guys would say "black", I would say "white", and vice versa..I thought you guys "I know it all, and everyone else is stupid" attitude, had mellowed somewhat...But I see that is NOT the case.

That being said, I see your vanity has reared its ugly head, AGAIN...Cuz' here you are, asserting your opinion, on a game you have proven you know LESS about, than any other responder in this thread..! :eek:..Except maybe for "the (deleted)", and Mr. POS,.. (who I see has joined YOUR team again.) What a break for Moi, LOMFKO

It doesn't take a rocket scientest, to realize that 2 ball golf, is a more complex game, requiring more pool skills, then the simpler one ball version (don't know about 1000 times, but whatever) The only point I EVER tried to impress on you, was that it NEVER gained universal acceptance, because of its complexity !...For that reason, People like myself, RA, John H, and ANY other top golfer, never bothered to learn its subtleties..Had we been raised in the gator infested 'swamp' (about the only place its played) I'm sure we would have found a way, to have played it as good, as it could be played...I don't remember ever seeing Jack Nicklaus, practicing his putting, on a cobblestone street, do you ?...Could that be because it ain't EVER gonna f-ing come up..:eek:

Thats probably also why we never bothered to learn 'billiards'... In our days we could have played '2000' games of golf, for every one of the 'niche' games we'd stumble across...Not trying to pull your chain again...but you really need to stick to a game you know at least a [sic]"LITTLE" something about !..LIKE BANK POOL !...Double ROTF-LMFAO :p :p :p

Super '6X12' Duck <---Wishes he could still crawl, he would fly to Fla, and offer Mr. Melrose a hole, at one ball golf.. ("No Brains required" you said) ..for large $$$$.

Holy shit... I got YOU to admit that 2 ball golf was a way tougher game than the version you chose to play...EUREKA!! I was just answering Larrys question about 2 ball golf. In case you didnt notice John Henderson responded after I posted and he didn't disagree with anything I stated. Basically you played a "bangers" version of Golf... You guys played miniature golf compared to the PGA type 2 ball golf... I noticed I posted in this thread and you couldn't wait to jump all over me.... thank god im not a gold prospector.... I might have to shoot you for...." CLAIM JUMPING" TRIPLE ROTF-LMFAO :):):)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Holy shit... I got YOU to admit that 2 ball golf was a way tougher game than the version you chose to play...EUREKA!! I was just answering Larrys question about 2 ball golf. In case you didn't notice John Henderson responded after I posted and he didn't disagree with anything I stated. Basically you played a "bangers" version of Golf... You guys played miniature golf compared to the PGA type 2 ball golf... I noticed I posted in this thread and you couldn't wait to jump all over me.... thank god im not a gold prospector.... I might have to shoot you for...." CLAIM JUMPING" TRIPLE ROTF-LMFAO :)

Mr. Melrose, Sir...

Always good to see you in a jovial mood..But, please do not skim over the responses in this thread, tryin' to find someone who agrees with you..On ANYTHING !...But, as a "claim jumper", It is I, who drew you out of your shell, and I was just trying to get a "Little" funnin' out of you...But you sidestepped it gracefully.(again)...Re; John H. (unlike me) he is so mellow, he rarely hurts anyone's feeler's...But, John and I have been on the same page, re; golf, (and pool, in general)... since you weighed 38 lbs :)....Sorry you didn't catch on...You might get your team-mate, (Mr. POS) to explain it to you...QUADRUPLE, LOL-ROTF-LMFAO..:p :p :p..Lets not get us another 'reprimand'...After all, this is NOT main forum fodder...(anymore) !..:eek:

Super Smart McDuck <--Had hoped you would be a ""Little" more clever, in your first response to him, in a while !...Do you have a "Ghroast writer"..:lol :lol :lol

PS..Regarding your "Holy Sh*t comment...As I prefaced, "it wouldn't take a rocket scientest, to figure out the difference in the two games"..You must have missed that ?..:confused:

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Mr. Melrose, Sir...

Good to see you in a jovial mood..But please do not skim over the responses in this thread, tryin' to find someone who agrees with you..On ANYTHING !...It is I, who drew you out of your shell, and I was just trying to get a "Little" funnin' out of you...But you sidestepped it gracefully.(again)...John and I, have been on the same page, re; golf, (and pool, in general)... since you weighed 38 lbs :)....Sorry you didn't catch on...You might get your team-mate, (Mr. POS) to explain it to you...QUADRUPLE, LOL-ROTF-LMFAO....Lets not get us another 'reprimand'...This is NOT main forum fodder !..:eek:

Super Smart McDuck <--Had hoped you would be a ""Little" more clever, in your first response to him, in a while !...Do you have a "Ghroast writer"..:lol :lol :lol

Actually Mr. Duckbrain, What I have noticed lately is that Nobody including John is on your side anymore. So I am going to show a maturity level you never reached and I will let you be. I must admit you almost drew me back into a flame war there Ducky.. but alas you have failed once again. No need to give you yet another verbal beatdown.
Have fun SJD aka Jack Conway aka Doyle ROTF LMMFAO LOL LOL LOL LOL :) :) :)
P.S. see who solves this riddle first :)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Actually Mr. Duckbrain, What I have noticed lately is that Nobody including John is on your side anymore. So I am going to show a maturity level you never reached and I will let you be. I must admit you almost drew me back into a flame war there Ducky.. but alas you have failed once again. No need to give you yet another verbal beatdown.

Fine with me, jes' trynna have a 'little' fun...;) Sorry you decided to go the 'insult' route ! :(

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Fine with me, jes' trynna have a 'little' fun...;) Sorry, but not terribly surprised,.. you decided to go the 'insult' route ! :(

Sayanara

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Fine with me, jes' tryna have a 'little' fun ! Sorry, but not terribly surprised, you decided to go the 'insult' route ! :(

Sayanara

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Two Ball Golf

Two Ball Golf

I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to play two ball golf. If it is the game that is played in the pool room you play in, you are going to learn it.

I was in the top tier of golf players anywhere I played and traveled around several western states booking very few losers on others home tables. The only places that played two ball golf out here in all those years was Tiff Payne's in North Hollywood and a couple places in and around Santa Monica. I will admit I could not beat Frank Torres but I tortured the guys at the other places with one or two balls.

My point is, if they played two ball golf anywhere I hung out, I believe I would have played it well and been one of the top players.

IMO any good one pocket player that takes a liking to golf, is going to be a good golf player, one or two balls.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John, did you mean to say "you played some 'Stymie" ???...Can't believe you've never run across it !

I have played a fair amount of Stymie. I used to play a lot one handed.

I used to stop at various rooms and bowling alleys outside Los Angeles when I was a route salesman for a saw co. in the sixties. There was a pool room downstairs in the old Pomona Mall that had a 5 x 10. I don't remember how it came about, but I ended up playing a local, both playing one handed for $5 and 50 cents a stroke. The way they played heads up was you shot until you were done and the other guy shot.

I went first and shot a seven. I made a two railer and a three railer and it was very lucky, but still a seven. The guy, who I had never seen before, kicked the ball out of the side pocket and broke the light. It took them about 30 minutes to clean up the table and put in a new light. Then the guy must have took twenty shots on the first hole. I could see there was going to be a problem here, so I told him I had to get back to work and let's settle up for $20. He went for it and I got out of there.

Much better game on a 6 x 12. You could make $$ playing cheap in a ring game with five or six players.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I have played a fair amount of Stymie. I used to play a lot one handed.

I used to stop at various rooms and bowling alleys outside Los Angeles when I was a route salesman for a saw co. in the sixties. There was a pool room downstairs in the old Pomona Mall that had a 5 x 10. I don't remember how it came about, but I ended up playing a local, both playing one handed for $5 and 50 cents a stroke. The way they played heads up was you shot until you were done and the other guy shot.

I went first and shot a seven. I made a two railer and a three railer and it was very lucky, but still a seven. The guy, who I had never seen before, kicked the ball out of the side pocket and broke the light. It took them about 30 minutes to clean up the table and put in a new light. Then the guy must have took twenty shots on the first hole. I could see there was going to be a problem here, so I told him I had to get back to work and let's settle up for $20. He went for it and I got out of there.

Much better game on a 6 x 12. You could make $$ playing cheap in a ring game with five or six players.

John,

As I learned the game..in Canada (head up, partners, or ring), you shook the pills, and everybody broke in turn, from the 6 ball spot, (just like golf) Low pill broke,..and continued shooting, 'til he made his first hole, or took 6 shots = (Stymie)... When the last player broke, whether he holed out, or took a stymie, the incoming player, and all following players shot from wherever the cueball wound up. Incoming players ball spots up, outgoing goes off..Never more than one ball at a time on the table.

So a seven would only be possible, playing the way you were playing, (shoot till you finish all 6)...Lowest I think I've ever seen, (my rules) was an 11..Because, whether you holed out or not, you are going to leave the incoming player as tough as you can.

Very important rule...You must hit a rail, with the cue ball, "AFTER" contact, on every shot, or its a stymie ?...Lots of times a double kiss, or shooting too easy, which may prevent you from getting that rail, and cost you a stymie.

Manys the time, a player who was already dead, and WELL stuck, would finally get his last pocket, straight in, and he was so brain rattled, he would lag it in, and forget all about getting the rail, after contact...Whereupon the players who had finished would yell, "STYMIE", and he would realize what he'd done...There have been several, near suicides..(and thats at only $1 a stroke, and $10 a Stymie..

It is not a game for the faint-hearted...There is NO gambling game, on a pool table, that can bring out the 'dog' in ANYONE, more than Stymie ! :eek: It was a pool hustlers dream. (all you needed, was ZERO conscience..;)

PS..I'd like to get me a couple of them unbeatable 'gator wrasslin', 2-ball golf player's, on a SLOW BOAT to China, We could play us some Stymie,..for about $5 a stroke, $50 a stymie...By Hong Kong...I would own Orlando..:D

Last edited:

zach

Golf with a hicky ball

Golf with a hicky ball

When I was in high school I used to play golf on a 5x10 snooker table with the old timers and we played opening shots with the cb in D, ob on the 7 spot, and a red ball on the 5 spot. It was always amazing the extra element that red ball added and the amount of hickies. If memory serves correctly we played $5 games with $0.10 hickies.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to play two ball golf. If it is the game that is played in the pool room you play in, you are going to learn it.

I was in the top tier of golf players anywhere I played and traveled around several western states booking very few losers on others home tables. The only places that played two ball golf out here in all those years was Tiff Payne's in North Hollywood and a couple places in and around Santa Monica. I will admit I could not beat Frank Torres but I tortured the guys at the other places with one or two balls.

My point is, if they played two ball golf anywhere I hung out, I believe I would have played it well and been one of the top players.

IMO any good one pocket player that takes a liking to golf, is going to be a good golf player, one or two balls.

John Im sure you and SJD would have been fine 2 ball golfers if you would have had the gumption to try and take on the game. SJD and yourself might have done quite well out west playing ball golf but in Miami at The Congress and then later at hollywood Billiards there would have been 30 and I mean 30!! guys killing each other to get at you guys.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John Im sure you and SJD would have been fine 2 ball golfers if you would have had the gumption to try and take on the game. SJD and yourself might have done quite well out west playing ball golf but in Miami at The Congress and then later at hollywood Billiards there would have been 30 and I mean 30!! guys killing each other to get at you guys.

I agree, like one pocket, golf and especially two ball golf, takes time and experience to learn. Many of the top golf players are also good one pocket players, here and Florida.

I was the best or one of the best golf players any place I ever played. If I lived in Florida and learned the game there, and played enough two ball golf, I would have been one of the top tier players there. Learning the tables and the rules, along with other aspects of the game to become a good player is not confined to Florida.

Strangers to the 6 x 12 at Hard Times in Bellflower had no chance, playing liability snooker or golf, with any of the top regular players. I am sure it was the same at Congress. We heard that the tables at Congress Bowl might even be tighter, but both were gaff tables that favored the regulars.

I doubt that there were thirty players in there that could have beat me if I played there, but we will never know.

As far as having the gumption to play the game, they just did not play it that much out here other than the two places I mentioned. There was plenty of action playing one ball golf at many different rooms. You went where the action was.

SJDinPHX

Suspended

All right, I've had it now !..I wasn't going to bring this up, but how is it a B-player, who LOST to a "GIRL"...
(at the DCC, no less,)..think he is qualified to rate ANYONE's game, playing ANYTHING, ANYWHERE ??? :confused:...
....Thats just a "Little" too much to take ! :eek:

PS..No disrespect to you Melissa, you were obviously the best player, regardless of gender..:)

Respectfully,

SuperDuck --aka, "Mr. Golf" <---(absolutely NO relation, to "Mr. 3-POS") :cool:

View attachment 7754

Last edited: