frost ochoa continued

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Two rail the 7, draw as close to the 1 as possible or stun the qb and leave the 9 as a blocker.

Brother Jim...that's why I love playing you - cuz you'd choose to shoot this, not close to you, small window 2-railer, while being 1" off the rail and having to jack up...:D

- Ghost

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There really isn't a lot to choose from here for Ochoa but he desperately needs something on his side of the table. The two rail shot on the seven doesn't offer much considering all that the Ghost had to say (which I totally agree with BTW). In addition, trying to get back to the side rail and near the one requires a hard hit so if he doesn't nail it he gives up any number of solid banks for Frost to choose from.

So if I were to stretch to find an offensive shot, Ochoa could play the two rail shot on the seven and stun the cue ball to the side rail for position on the nine, or he could look to kick the one back toward his hole trying to snooker the cue ball on the fifteen. This shot is easy to sell out on but the table looks bleak for Ochoa anyway. Taking strictly a defensive shot from here just prolongs the inevitable. Tough spot for Ochoa.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
whats your shot? thin off the 15 coming in behind the 1? <--- NO

...there's nothing to like here...but since I have to shoot...

...I believe I'll try and thread the needle and bank the 6 straight back - it looks like it might have just enough room to go - and I'll be playing it to miss to the right if it misses, leaving it by my pocket.....if I hit it fairly good, leaving the cueball near the head rail, it looks like Scott wont be able to shoot the 2 because of the scratch in the side, he'll be doubled up on the 8-7, and he won't like shooting the long-distance 9ball spot shot all that much, having a 3-0 lead and with me having a ball in front of my pocket.

- Ghost

akrick

Verified Member
its several innings later
scott is up 3 balls to zero
its ochoas shot
View attachment 7780

I would shoot the 7 into the 2. My goal is to make the 2 in the side which will then spot. I would shoot hard enough to bank the 7 off the end rail on to my side ( the 2 also if I miss). Follow the cue ball and leave it on the side rail by the middle diamond or just above it.
Rick

bstroud

Verified Member
I'm moving the 1 ball probably by spinning off the side rail.

There's really no good offensive shot here and the balls on your side are not favorable. It's time to wait.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Ochoa is in a real spot here. There's nothing offensive, except for Ghost's 6 ball straight back, which probably wouldn't go, so Frost would just bat the 6 out of there and leave it tough again.

The two ball cluster on Ochoa's side rail is effectively shutting down that whole side of his table. I might roll whitey off the side of the 15, and try to either freeze it on the head rail, or nudge it behind the 3 ball, like this:

ochoa 1.jpg

A slightly more difficult move would be to use high center CB, and shoot the 4 into the 5, knocking them away, and rolling the CB up towards the corner pocket, like this:

ochoa 2.jpg

Of the two, the first shot is easier to execute, and also has the advantage of opening up two balls on Ochoa's side. ~Doc

akrick

Verified Member
Ochoa is in a real spot here. There's nothing offensive, except for Ghost's 6 ball straight back, which probably wouldn't go, so Frost would just bat the 6 out of there and leave it tough again.

The two ball cluster on Ochoa's side rail is effectively shutting down that whole side of his table. I might roll whitey off the side of the 15, and try to either freeze it on the head rail, or nudge it behind the 3 ball, like this:

View attachment 7781

A slightly more difficult move would be to use high center CB, and shoot the 4 into the 5, knocking them away, and rolling the CB up towards the corner pocket, like this:

View attachment 7782

Of the two, the first shot is easier to execute, and also has the advantage of opening up two balls on Ochoa's side. ~Doc

The second shot of Doc's is what I like but I called it the "7" into the 2. Could be the 4 into the 2 as I see it now.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

View attachment 7781

View attachment 7782

doc i think in your second shot its the 7/2 not 4/5
but your pic explains it clearly:)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I've never watched Ochoa play One Pocket but I can't imagine him coming up with anything better than one of the many ideas which have come out of this thread. Who knows, he might just take a flyer at the six and try to get shape on something. He's up s..ts creek here and he should know it.

Tom

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Could he not also just bunt off the side of the 9-ball over to the side rail? Doesn't accomplish much but... it might "buy time"

Attachments

• Greenshot_2013-02-17_12-57-49.jpg
    Greenshot_2013-02-17_12-57-49.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Could he not also just bunt off the side of the 9-ball over to the side rail? Doesn't accomplish much but... it might "buy time"

If I'm Frost and he does this to me, I bank the 2 with a little draw left and leave whitie where it is now but it will likely be my shot.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I've never watched Ochoa play One Pocket but I can't imagine him coming up with anything better than one of the many ideas which have come out of this thread. Who knows, he might just take a flyer at the six and try to get shape on something. He's up s..ts creek here and he should know it.

Tom

Tom
are you getting antsy to see the shot he chose????:D
just askin....:heh

pvclou

Verified Member
I'd probably be looking hard at akrick's shot. However, a friend of mine showed me that he can jam the one ball hard into the facing of scott's pocket with low right english. If struck correctly the one ball will rattle and go back to ochoa's hole. At least it get's the one away from scott's corner.

My pal actually shot it on scott at tunica.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I'd probably be looking hard at akrick's shot. However, a friend of mine showed me that he can jam the one ball hard into the facing of scott's pocket with low right english. If struck correctly the one ball will rattle and go back to ochoa's hole. At least it get's the one away from scott's corner.

My pal actually shot it on scott at tunica.

This is a shot that Efren shoots very well. The shot doesn't have to be hit hard. The shot is played by driving the ball into the bottom rail just enough so that it's rebound brings it into the point on the pocket. The cue ball escapes along the side rail while the one ball travels back toward his own pocket. Not a bad choice if he knows the shot but with those two balls along the end rail this shot has little margin for error and becomes very dangerous. If Ochoa clips one of them he can sell out easy cross banks and the game. Still......

Tom

And Larry,
To answer your question: Yes, a little.

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
It almost looks as though the 4-15 combination might be dead. If in fact it is give it a go and you can also get safe up table on the end rail if you happen to miss the bank.