Rules question

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
These are some really good answers, most of us are seniors and yes, we are very shaky some times, so I figure we need to relax some rules, and this might be a good one. But you can bet that I will always bring it up before we start the match, can't foul while spotting a ball.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We were playing partners 1 pocket last night, the other team was spotting a ball that had been made in another pocket. They tried to put the ball on the spot, which was close to the cue ball. While trying to spot the ball they accidently touched the cue ball with the other ball. My partner jumped up and said that is a foul. Well this is a friendly game ($10) and I did not think it was a foul so I said put the cue ball back where it was and spot the ball behind the spot. I read the rules and could not find out what was correct. Does anyone know if it was a foul or not. Thanks, Tom

P-man-- This is NOT a foul. Our rules state thus:

6.7 It shall not be a foul to accidentally touch the cue ball while removing an object ball from an adjacent pocket, or when spotting a ball where the cue ball interferes. It shall be a foul for the incoming shooter to accidentally touch an object ball with the cue ball while placing it in a ball in hand situation.

Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Hey Doc,
What rule book are you referring to? In the BCA rule book it looks to be clearly a foul but for my money the BCA is not "the be all to end all" as far as rules of One Pocket go.

I would agree that touching the cue ball with another ball when spotting should not be a foul but I have always looked at all the rules as needing to be respected equally not just the rules I agreed with.

I only have the one rule book, that being the BCA so that has always been the book I and everyone else I've known have used as the reference book. I didn't even know there was another source.

Tom

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hey Doc,
What rule book are you referring to? In the BCA rule book it looks to be clearly a foul but for my money the BCA is not "the be all to end all" as far as rules of One Pocket go.

I would agree that touching the cue ball with another ball when spotting should not be a foul but I have always looked at all the rules as needing to be respected equally not just the rules I agreed with.

I only have the one rule book, that being the BCA so that has always been the book I and everyone else I've known have used as the reference book. I didn't even know there was another source.

Tom

tom
if you go to the top of this page you will see a heading "playing the game"
if you put the arrow on that you will see alist of topics one of them is
COMPLETE RULES
these are the onepocket.org version of the rules
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't know if this is a room thing, or what. But we always played if you touched the cb it was a foul. It did not even matter if a guy bumped into you, still a foul. That is just how we played it. damn that actual rules as I always say. It worked fine for us.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rules question

P-man-- This is NOT a foul. Our rules state thus:

6.7 It shall not be a foul to accidentally touch the cue ball while removing an object ball from an adjacent pocket, or when spotting a ball where the cue ball interferes. It shall be a foul for the incoming shooter to accidentally touch an object ball with the cue ball while placing it in a ball in hand situation.

Doc

Good for you Doc -- You found it right in the official one pocket rules here on one pocket.org.

That's a reminder of why we created those rules because the BCA rules for one pocket just don't cover anywhere near all the situations that come up in the game.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Good for you Doc -- You found it right in the official one pocket rules here on one pocket.org.

That's a reminder of why we created those rules because the BCA rules for one pocket just don't cover anywhere near all the situations that come up in the game.

I must say guys, I really don't like that rule of it not being a foul.

The rule doesn't have enough respect for keeping the integrity of the balls (or the game) intact during a game of one pocket imo. People should know there will be much to pay if they touch a cb, and if they do it hardly ever happens. The other thing I REALLY don't like about it, is you COULD get somebody taking advantage of this during say a big money game in that they purposefully move sometihng. Anyway... just one man's opinion :D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I must say guys, I really don't like that rule of it not being a foul.

The rule doesn't have enough respect for keeping the integrity of the balls (or the game) intact during a game of one pocket imo. People should know there will be much to pay if they touch a cb, and if they do it hardly ever happens. The other thing I REALLY don't like about it, is you COULD get somebody taking advantage of this during say a big money game in that they purposefully move sometihng. Anyway... just one man's opinion :D

TD,

You need to get to a table and play:). This cannot be a foul ever, if it was nobody would ever spot a ball when the cueball was close to being in the way. Nobody is going to take advantage of the situation by "accidently" moving the cueball, it would just get put back where it was.

This thread did not need this many replies. It's not a foul ever. I'm 54 and probably started playing one-pocket 34 years ago and I've never had this come up even one time. Guys are careful when spotting balls and I've bet high enough to know.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
TD,

You need to get to a table and play:). This cannot be a foul ever, if it was nobody would ever spot a ball when the cueball was close to being in the way. Nobody is going to take advantage of the situation by "accidently" moving the cueball, it would just get put back where it was.

This thread did not need this many replies. It's not a foul ever. I'm 54 and probably started playing one-pocket 34 years ago and I've never had this come up even one time. Guys are careful when spotting balls and I've bet high enough to know.

Dennis

I think maybe we are talking about different things. I took the op's post to mean he flat out moved the cb, as in moved it far. A slight rub, which I have seen many times, is fine. I thought that went without saying. If that was the case, then I agree, the thread should have ended. If the guy touched the cb and the cb went meandering off, I think it is a foul. People have to have more control than that.

Frozen balls just can't miraculously get put back where they were either. You know that. I can think of many instances where a player who was thinking could use this to their advantage, and suffer no penalty.

On the other subject you broached, that is actually very interesting. Has anybody ever noticed, in tournament play especially, that players who are not thinking in my opinion will handle balls when there is a possibility of a foul, yet they don't need to? They could have their opponent or ref do it. I have noticed this many times. You are right though in that if 2 players are thinking, why would they want to be the one to spot it. Anyway, I still think really moving the cb should technically be a foul :) Whether you call it or not is up to the player.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I think maybe we are talking about different things. I took the op's post to mean he flat out moved the cb, as in moved it far. A slight rub, which I have seen many times, is fine. I thought that went without saying. If that was the case, then I agree, the thread should have ended. If the guy touched the cb and the cb went meandering off, I think it is a foul. People have to have more control than that.

Frozen balls just can't miraculously get put back where they were either. You know that. I can think of many instances where a player who was thinking could use this to their advantage, and suffer no penalty.

On the other subject you broached, that is actually very interesting. Has anybody ever noticed, in tournament play especially, that players who are not thinking in my opinion will handle balls when there is a possibility of a foul, yet they don't need to? They could have their opponent or ref do it. I have noticed this many times. You are right though in that if 2 players are thinking, why would they want to be the one to spot it. Anyway, I still think really moving the cb should technically be a foul :) Whether you call it or not is up to the player.

TD,

You have an overactive imagination:). Did you notice where I wrote that I've never seen this happen even one time(my games or someone else's) in 34 years? If a guy you're playing does this twice then you should just quit the game as he's obviously smarter than you or anyone I've ever played:D.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
This happened to me recently. I said it wasn't a foul, the guy started howling and screaming, so I put one up and told him as Petie said "from now on you spot all the balls." I won that game and two more and quit. He wanted to know why, I said I don't like the spirit of your rules, find someone else to take advantage of.
It's about all these newer rules and tournament rules and different assc. rules.
I'm not losing my money to anybody petty enough to do this.
Rod.
P.S. If it'd been an easy game I'd still be playing. :D:p

tylerdurden

Verified Member
TD,

Did you notice .....

Dennis

The only things I am very adept at noticing are girls with nice booties, great pool shots, IN-n-OUT burger drive throughs, and when 24 packs of blue ribbon go on sale.

So far, this has been getting me along just fine :heh

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
The only things I am very adept at noticing are girls with nice booties, great pool shots, IN-n-OUT burger drive throughs, and when 24 packs of blue ribbon go on sale.

So far, this has been getting me along just fine :heh

I thought you had your priorities in perfect order till you mentioned the Blue Ribbon:eek::sorry.

P.S. Do they have In & Out burger drive-thrus in S.W. Sweden???

RBL

Last edited: