Learning the Game

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
For several months I've been playing as much 1P as I can. I have also been watching as many 1P matches online that I can. I have a couple books I've been reading too.

Over this time my banks have improved significantly. Cue ball control is improving and I'm learning some moves. But it feels I am still barely scratching the surface of this game. I typically have so many other players looking up to me for advice and help (I am an instructor)

Does anyone have any good pointers, drills, advice for an aspiring new 1P player?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For several months I've been playing as much 1P as I can. I have also been watching as many 1P matches online that I can. I have a couple books I've been reading too.

Over this time my banks have improved significantly. Cue ball control is improving and I'm learning some moves. But it feels I am still barely scratching the surface of this game. I typically have so many other players looking up to me for advice and help (I am an instructor)

Does anyone have any good pointers, drills, advice for an aspiring new 1P player?

Get "Winning One Pocket" and "Shots Moves and Strategies." I hve them and might consider departing with them for due consideration.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Go to the bottom of the page and click the oldest post and start scanning backwards, it'll take a while to find what you want but you'll read a lot of interesting stuff on your way. Have a fun trip. :)
Rod
P.S. What you're looking for is in there many times.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
its a long process, like chess, backgammon, position is HUGE. and I also believe some people just have more aptitude for 1P than others, i'm not a 1P genius thats for sure.

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

for starters, you've come to the right place

continue grabbing info for your students and maybe direct them here? tons of information at yours and their fingertips

good onepocket doesn't happen overnight but it can be more enjoyable each and every day

you're on the correct path for sure. enjoy ...

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
How do you rate Upscale One Pocket ?

not asking me....but i can/will answer....:p
there are a few diagrams of "bank paths" that are good. i'd skip it and go for the gold standard SMS and W1P.....

in addition, i think everyone is familiar with dr. bill's and grady's accustats dvds that are excellent, but one with a lot of neat stuff you don't hear much about is willie jopling's 2 dvd set (freddy used to have some....)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
How do you rate Upscale One Pocket ?

i think as a first book its GREAT
justin...:sorry
the differences to me are robins books are the doctorate of one pocket
no question the greatest treatise on one pocket
and should be in any serious one pocket players collection
upscale one pocket is a great primer for basic concepts and a beginners easily digestible appraoch to the game
i wouldnt demean upscale 1p for the beginner
in fact thats the first book i would recommend to a beginner
jmho
icbw

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ill also say the best way to speed the learning curve
is buy accu stat dvds and listen to the commentary
find an old timer who knows the game
undersatnds some systems for kicking and banking
and play/pay him to teach you
again
jmho
icbw

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Learning OP

Learning OP

Just my humble opinion...

take a notebook with you to the pool room...
write down what you see, what you learn, specifically shots that don't make sense that your more experienced opponent shoots... most of them set you up for a trap later... you have to recognize them earlier than him...

read freddy the beard's one pocket secrets... its worth the time

don't beat up on yourself...

study your notes and play within your capabilities...

If I could only do the above...

B

backplaying

Verified Member
ill also say the best way to speed the learning curve
is buy accu stat dvds and listen to the commentary
find an old timer who knows the game
undersatnds some systems for kicking and banking
and play/pay him to teach you
again
jmho
icbw

I bought several with all the best one pocket players in the world, and watch them for hours and I think it helped me a couple of balls very quick.

Toncam

Verified Member
Well thanks for the replies. I have watched quite a few OP matches on youtube and have Billys and Freddies DVDs. I think the best way for me personally to learn is to go out and play some of the older guys and even if it costs a few bucks a game, it will probably be well worth it in the long run.
I do love playing short rack banks though, my heart is way more in that than even straight pool, lol.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Well thanks for the replies. I have watched quite a few OP matches on youtube and have Billys and Freddies DVDs. I think the best way for me personally to learn is to go out and play some of the older guys and even if it costs a few bucks a game, it will probably be well worth it in the long run.
I do love playing short rack banks though, my heart is way more in that than even straight pool, lol.

Of course the big difference between banking in One Pocket and in Banks is object ball speed -- and that is a huge difference if you enjoy the free-stroking in Banks, versus the delicate pocket speed, over and over again, in One Pocket.

You probably will want to continue to mix One Pocket in with those other games to keep your basic pool stroke (and your confidence) strong :D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That's what I did when I was trying to learn -- I drove about an hour and a half each way to play Bob 'Ingie' Ingersoll, who was a terrific all around player and contemporary of 'Boston Shorty' -- except 'Ingie' was actually a few years older than 'Shorty'. He was about 80 when I was playing him, so he relied much more on his moving than his shooting, and that was exactly the part of the game that I was trying to better understand. I played him every other weekend or so for a year or two. If you can find a veteran player that knows the moves, but is perhaps a little weaker to the pocket than they used to be, that is the best, and well worth going out of your way to make it happen.

I recently found this photo of 'Ingie' receiving the NE championship trophy in 1966. Rest in Peace, champ!

Attachments

• Ingersol-NE-Title-1966-web.jpg
    Ingersol-NE-Title-1966-web.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 0

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If I was op I'd try to get my hands on some player commentary accustats. There is one with hopkins vs varner that is good (100 min rack; with cowboy's mythical wedge). The fusco vs varner is good, with fusco and grady in the review booth. I don't even know if these are still available? Maybe in ebay if you are lucky??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the only caveat in only playing to learn is sometimes you may not know what you are seeing or not seeing......:eek:
what i mean is its your turn at the table and there is a shot available you dont see
being able to discuss "what should i do now" or" how did you hit that shot"
helps the learning curve
so paying to pick someones brain is also beneficial
jmho

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
That's what I did when I was trying to learn -- I drove about an hour and a half each way to play Bob 'Ingie' Ingersoll, who was a terrific all around player and contemporary of 'Boston Shorty' -- except 'Ingie' was actually a few years older than 'Shorty'. He was about 80 when I was playing him, so he relied much more on his moving than his shooting, and that was exactly the part of the game that I was trying to better understand. I played him every other weekend or so for a year or two. If you can find a veteran player that knows the moves, but is perhaps a little weaker to the pocket than they used to be, that is the best, and well worth going out of your way to make it happen.

I recently found this photo of 'Ingie' receiving the NE championship trophy in 1966. Rest in Peace, champ!

Steve; When I went on my first road trip, about 1968-69, it was to the New York/New England area. One of my last stops was in Boston, at Olympic "the mines" Billiards in the RED Light district down in the basement, it reminded me a little of, "Bensingers."

The first guy I played was, Charlie De Lorme, after him came Paul Melinchuck, then came Bob "Ingy" Ingersol, he was the best billiard player there at the time, Boston Shorty was out of town. We sort of planed it that way, so we could catch Shorty at "McGirr's" in New York where there was more action!

Ingy played a nice game of, "old style" billiards, gentleman, no issues.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Learning the Game

Steve; When I went on my first road trip, about 1968-69, it was to the New York/New England area. One of my last stops was in Boston, at Olympic "the mines" Billiards in the RED Light district down in the basement, it reminded me a little of, "Bensingers."

The first guy I played was, Charlie De Lorme, after him came Paul Melinchuck, then came Bob "Ingy" Ingersol, he was the best billiard player there at the time, Boston Shorty was out of town. We sort of planed it that way, so we could catch Shorty at "McGirr's" in New York where there was more action!

Ingy played a nice game of, "old style" billiards, gentleman, no issues.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I know and have played all those guys!
Charlie showed up at Mazins recent tournament. Great guy!

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Learning the game

Learning the game

I really appreciate all the replies. I will definitely add the recommended books to my growing library. I will look through the old posts on this site. I will also look into the Accu Stats videos.

I have the patience for the game - most of players my age or younger don't (I just turned 30). I have the motivation/drive to keep learning and improving. I have improved at 1P significantly over the last 6 months but I still feel so new to the game. My banks have improved drastically to where I can bank near pocket speed now (6 months ago I could make banks but not at pocket speed).

The game can be frustrating. I can go from winning local 8 ball, 9 ball or 10 ball tournament and I'm shooting great, but then I rack up 1P and it can be rough. I am to the point in all other games I can just relax - trust myself and my stroke and run racks. But at 1P I'm thinking soo much about stuff the opponent is doing, stuff that works for me and stuff that doesn't work - its like I'm learning this from a beginners stand point.

about 4 months ago I was racking up 1P to play against a buddy (Sam, who is about my skill level in other games, but has 10+ years experience in 1P). A guy that works at the poolhall (really strong player and very knowledgeable) was walking by and saw we were about to play 1P. The guy says "Sam, I bet Richard can beat you every game if I coach him on every shot." So sam agreed and we started. We played for over 3 hours with this guy not only coaching what shots to take but he was explaining why (which was the most important thing). I did win every game, but most importantly was I learned what seemed to be years of information in hours.