Jim 'Salt' Duval

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am sorry to say I heard from a family member that long time Bay area pool player James 'Salt' Duval died yesterday. I only met him at Derby City, and he came to several of our HOF dinners there. We hit it off because he really enjoyed the history of the game and the players of old. We talked on the phone many times, where he would share tidbits of 'back-stories' with me -- some recent and some relating to days long past. I always enjoyed talking and hanging out with him.

The photo below is a Diana Hoppe photo taken at one of our HOF dinners with his pal Francisco Bustamante.

I will pass along memorial information as soon as I hear details. I actually interviewed Salt a couple of years ago, so I will try to get that up as part of a memorial page. I know many of you guys that played in CA over the last 50 years would have known him much better than me, but I know him enough to know he was a great guy and will be terribly missed.

Attachments

• 2007-DHoppe-HOF-0119-web.jpg
    2007-DHoppe-HOF-0119-web.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Salt

Salt

Sad news. Salt has been around the Bay Area pool scene for years and will be missed. Great to be around and full of stories.

R. I. P. Salt.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sad news once again...I met him at the DCC several years ago - I would see him there every year - real nice guy....R.I.P.

- Ghost

thebaby

Verified Member
Will be missed....

Will be missed....

I first met salt about 42 years at a pool hall in San Francisco called Billiard Palacade. I was about 15. He comes in, asked me if I wanted to play. He beat me out of my last $6.00. Tell you what kind of guy he was. He said kid, here your $6.00 back. From that day forward we were friends. 42 years . He knew my Dad very well . They worked out at the race track. Salt saw my Game develop over the years , He would tell me from time to time , when a road player would come into town. He would tell me , Frank ,play this guy ,he has no chance. I will always miss salt all the way the back to the Palace billiard years on market in San Francisco. Me and Paul Silva, The house man made a ton of of money out of that room. RIP Salt........