Famous Pool Sharks

RedCard

Verified Member
The Tic

The Tic

I have heard that the Minnesota Fats of the book had a spasm or tick that made him jerk every once in a while. This was true of Fatty. In his younger days, it was quite pronounced.

"Suddenly, Eddie turned to him and stared. Fat's chin jerked, towards his shoulder, his mouth twisting with the movement."

"...an extremely fat man with black curly hair...". "About every every 10 seconds there was a sudden, convulsive motion of his head, forcing his chins down towards his left collarbone."

"This was a very sudden movement, and it brought an automatic grimace to that side of his mouth which seemed affected by the tic."

"Is that a fact?" The man's face jerked again.

"Fats' face made its regular, jerking grimace, ...".

~~~ Tevis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
"Suddenly, Eddie turned to him and stared. Fat's chin jerked, towards his shoulder, his mouth twisting with the movement."

"...an extremely fat man with black curly hair...". "About every every 10 seconds there was a sudden, convulsive motion of his head, forcing his chins down towards his left collarbone."

"This was a very sudden movement, and it brought an automatic grimace to that side of his mouth which seemed affected by the tic."

"Is that a fact?" The man's face jerked again.

"Fats' face made its regular, jerking grimace, ...".

~~~ Tevis

Thanks, Red. I think this is proof positive that the character of Minnesota Fats was most assuredly inspired by the real New York Fats, Double Smart Fats, Minnesota Fats, Fatty.
You can see the remnants of his tick in this interview but it was much more pronounced in his younger days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkaTTWK322c

You can see him as a younger man with a more pronounce tick here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78pYhTK5hFc

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Thanks, Red. I think this is proof positive that the character of Minnesota Fats was most assuredly inspired by the real New York Fats, Double Smart Fats, Minnesota Fats, Fatty.
You can see the remnants of his tick in this interview but it was much more pronounced in his younger days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkaTTWK322c

You can see him as a younger man with a more pronounce tick here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78pYhTK5hFc

I met him in the early 60's and he had it. Later it wasn't so obvious, but still there.
Rod.
P.S. As for the name, most around me who knew him called him Fat.
P.P.S He was the greatest.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I met him in the early 60's and he had it. Later it wasn't so obvious, but still there.
Rod.

Evelyn when she first met fats March seventh 1941 in DuQuoion IL, he was called fats. Then because of a situation he became double smart Fats, and then she said he became triple smart Fats. She also said that when he didn't do well, they just called him Fats.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Evelyn when she first met fats March seventh 1941 in DuQuoion IL, he was called fats. Then because of a situation he became double smart Fats, and then she said he became triple smart Fats. She also said that when he didn't do well, they just called him Fats.

Ya gotta give him credit though, nobody had more 'nicknames' than Fatty !..But the LAST ONE really served him well !..Just in time too..Most people under 50, had forgotten all the other ones ! ..:cool:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Rod.

I called him Fatty. We talked on the phone several times. He called me Pete.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

could you expand on this comment??
pm accepted