Rule Question

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yep I attended them all at the Elks and also the Veterans Hall in Hollywood.
Got to see Crane, Wimpy, Jimmy Moore, and a whole bunch of them.

I think I saw RA play in one of them. I heard he got into a $ match with Irving Crane playing 14.1. Irv never gambled much but he had such a lock he had to.

Those were great days, great players. One of the most fascinating characters was Babe Cranfield. I think he'd won in 1964. But he was extremely nervous and fidgety, and chain smoked. It made me nervous just watching him. But you know, the guy lived to 89! Died in 2004.:cool:

I used to play out of Mr. Pockets in those days, on 6th St. First played one-pocket there, but really didn't have a clue. Then later migrated to Chopsticks out on Victory in N. Hyd, and also at Tiff Paynes' North Hollywood Billiards.

Zappa was going to film me shooting trick shots at Mr. Pockets for a scene in his movie "200 Motels", but I left the band before he go around to it.:(

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
Those were great days, great players. One of the most fascinating characters was Babe Cranfield. I think he'd won in 1964. But he was extremely nervous and fidgety, and chain smoked. It made me nervous just watching him. But you know, the guy lived to 89! Died in 2004.:cool:

I used to play out of Mr. Pockets in those days, on 6th St. First played one-pocket there, but really didn't have a clue. Then later migrated to Chopsticks out on Victory in N. Hyd, and also at Tiff Paynes' North Hollywood Billiards.

Zappa was going to film me shooting trick shots at Mr. Pockets for a scene in his movie "200 Motels", but I left the band before he go around to it.:(

~Doc

This is off the track doc but did you ever hang out at Canters on Fairfax. Frank and the Mothers would make their appearance nightly along with Arthur Lee and Love. One of my favorite bands. I got a lot of the Mothers records as well as the Captains.
I played exclusively at Ye Billiard Den where I played Mr Murray. An African American gentleman who instructed me in the game We would play for $2 a game. It was my intro to the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This is off the track doc but did you ever hang out at Canters on Fairfax. Frank and the Mothers would make their appearance nightly along with Arthur Lee and Love. One of my favorite bands. I got a lot of the Mothers records as well as the Captains.
I played exclusively at Ye Billiard Den where I played Mr Murray. An African American gentleman who instructed me in the game We would play for $2 a game. It was my intro to the game.
Yes, I went to Canter's many times (remember Ben Frank's on the Strip?). But the days when Frank and the MOI hung out there were probably '66-'67. Then they moved to NYC, where I met and joined up with them. Then we all moved back to L.A. in March, '68.

I only went to Ye Billiard Den a few times. It wasn't my cup of tea. With the assortment of snarly-toothed hustlers like Beard, the Ghost, and others, the joint should have been called Ye Billiard Den of Thieves...:lol Great room, though, and celebrity central.

Actually I also liked Celebrity Billiards on the 2nd floor a few blocks up from the Musicians' Union on Vine St. Geez, there were rooms all over town in those days.:cool: To paraphrase Groucho, there were more rooms than you could shake a stick at, if that's your idea of a good time.

~Doc