Freddie passed

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was on a jobsite up on the beautiful Squam Lake (of "On Golden Pond" fame) all day without internet access. The Ghost called me which I really appreciate hearing directly from someone close to Freddy. I am speechless for now.

I want to thank Ray Hansen for posting the video clip of Freddy reading Dennis's wonderful poem honoring deceased pool players. I watched it before I did anything else once I got home. Thanks for posting, and thanks again for filming our HOF dinner these last few years. Freddy was so good at the role of Master of Ceremonies and he so enjoyed it every year. That alone is a huge loss, but nothing compared to the personal loss for all of you that knew him well. We are going to have to somehow get through this together in a way that does some honor to the man, Freddy the Beard, who invested so much himself to honor others.

Good night my friend, and I will see you "up there" yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkhElII4U3s

JAM

Verified Member
I am sickened by this news. My heart is heavy. I only communicated with Freddy by phone and e-mail, yet I feel like I know him. I had no idea that he was that ill. He went out of his way to be my friend by helping me with a few pool-related matters. What a good man!

My heart and deepest sympathies go out to his friends and loved ones.

Save a seat on the rail for me, Freddy. You may be gone, but your spirit will always be alive in our hearts.

JAM

Verified Member
As sad as I am trying to take all this in about Freddy, I would just like to say that I am comforted by the fact that Freddy had some good moments during the last few yeares of his life on the book tour and spreading his words of wisdom in the pool industry. Thank goodness, he got a chance to spread his wings and fly.

I am still in shock! :(

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
My condolences to the Bentivegna family for your loss.

Pool has also suffered a loss.

Pool, especially Banks and One Pocket, will be less interesting without The Beard.

This Forum has lost one of its best members.

RIP Freddy

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
What a shock. I thought he was cantankerous enough to outmove even the Reaper for a good while. Must have caught a skid.

Freddie will be missed by everybody in pool, even those of us watching from the sidelines.

Good rolls, Freddie.

pj
chgo

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Haven't been on the site lately. Just came on and saw this. Makes me literally sick to my stomach. Freddy was one of the few guys I really enjoyed seeing and talking to every year at Derby. Derby will never be the same. Last time I was on I was under the impression that he was doing better and now this. This has got me choked up thinking about him. Really sad day.
Rest in Peace Freddy.. your friend Rob Melrose

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Chi Town

Chi Town

I'm saddened by this sudden departure, but feel fortunate to have been around em in my early IL years growing up. His Smile, the tone of his attitude :eek: and his ''tell it like it is'' is the Midwest at its finest. To his family and friends I'm saddened for your loss and wish you all the best during these trying times. Freddy always made me laugh and question his Authority :D in a good natured way. RIP ma man.

Mary Kenniston

Verified Member
Like so many others, I’m still stunned by the news of Freddy Bentivegna’s sudden passing. It sure was quick and, as others have said, maybe for the best but I thought he was on the improve.

No one was more of an old school guy than "The Beard" & he loved our world & all the characters in it. Struck down in the midst of what had to have been one of the best times of his life, he had been celebrating the release of his latest book, “The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers.” As well as enjoying the acclaim from the world of billiards, he had been lauded & feted by his hometown Chicago press & had recently returned from New York City after a round of interviews & book signings – as well as seeing his old friends.

I wish I could say that Freddy was one of my longtime friends but I can’t. I only got to know him really well over the course of the last few years - spending hours with him at the Derby City Classic and, of course, as the man who ran the show with Grady Mathews at the One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinners. However, as a younger player coming up & watching all the hustlers hustle, the Beard was one of the guys who stood out from the crowd. In the ‘80s, there was virtually a major tournament every couple weeks with more than one regional tournament every weekend all over the country.

Almost everywhere I went, there was Freddy – whether he was holding court & regaling everyone with his stories, showing someone something on the pool table, trying to make a game, betting on the side, stirring things up, making people laugh…everyone knew Freddy & he knew everybody.

If he was in action, it was a treat to watch. He was tough & he played hard. Whoever he tangled with on the table had their hands full. And the conversation! Freddy was a master at talking smack & coming with the one-liners – he was a sweator’s delight & I always made it a point to find a nearby parking place.

The last two One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinners have been especially tough as Grady Mathews is no longer with us. Freddy had to fly solo and although we all pitched in to help him, Grady has been terribly missed. Now, Freddy’s gone too…it just won’t be the same. Like the lyrics of the old country song say, “who’s going to fill their shoes…”

Yeah, it’s another sad day in the pool world - the old guard is leaving us one by one. I know I’m not alone in offering my condolences to his family & many friends. RIP, my friend. RIP…

Here's Freddy in his younger days... '77 Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Eddie Laube Jr - Photo courtesy of Tom Kollins

Attachments

• Freddy Bentivegna - X on rail - '77 Chi 9 Ball - Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Edd.jpg
    Freddy Bentivegna - X on rail - '77 Chi 9 Ball - Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Edd.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I woke up late today, saw a txt message. I took today off, i'm triple pissed at myself, i was in Chicago a month ago and didnt take the time to go see Mr Beard-just before he got sick.

At least he didnt suffer the ravages of cancer like my mom did, its the most brutal thing ever to see that.

Freddy treated me great when i was at his house 2 years ago, almost to the day. We went to a Mexican joint to eat-his spot. WOW was it great.

I havent read this thread yet, i will in time, hurts to much now.

condolences

eric

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
My Condolences to the Bentivegna family. The Beard was truly an icon, he will be missed by many for a very long time. Rest in Peace Freddy.:(

Drop Pocket

Verified Member
From
South Carolina
I said this on AZ and I'd like to say it here: George Fels and Freddie the Beard, two of the best friends I never met in person.
RIP Freddie!

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I wish to offer my sincere condolences to all of Freddy's family and many friends, and to you Bill, who over the past month or so, have shown openly, and to all of us at OP.org, your great affection for your dear friend. May Freddy rest in peace.

Tom

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Been in shock all day....the only thing I've been thinking that has made me feel a little better is this...

That Freddy right at this very moment, is sitting/talking with Bugs, Grady, Cornbread, Ronnie Allen, Gary Spaeth, Pancho, Reno, Milwaukee Lou, Gar, Tall Al, and more - and they're all at peace, hanging out together.

- Ghost

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Been in shock all day....the only thing I've been thinking that has made me feel a little better is this...

That Freddy right at this very moment, is sitting/talking with Bugs, Grady, Cornbread, Ronnie Allen, Gary Spaeth, Pancho, Reno, Gar, Tall Al, and more - and they're all at peace, hanging out together.

- Ghost

I can only hope when my time comes, that I'll be accepted into the arms of God and my esteemed colleagues you mentioned and many more. Then the real life long adventure that awaits us all will truly begin.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Aw.

Aw.

I never really knew Mr. Beard.

On his recent book tour, in NYC, he reached out to me with a warm, personal conversation. He had enjoyed tweaking me in the four years I’ve been hanging around here and appreciated my ‘I am girl, hear me roar’ recent wagers.

He confided, graciously, that he realized I was who I claimed to be and he congratulated me for taking on the doubters.

I like to think that he’s out there somewhere making banks that don’t go - but do.

Repose In Prosperity, Mr. Beard.

Sunny

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Condolences to the family....

Condolences to the family....

Dino called me today and informed me what had happened. I had just talked to Freddie told him I looked forward to seeing him in July. This has crushed me, some of you know I spent ten days in Freddie's basement a couple of years ago after I got back from Iraq. He accepted me with open arms, did not ask questions and was a true friend. My dad had passed while I was in Iraq and Freddie stepped in for him. I can never express fully how much that meant to me at that time in my life. I love him and will miss him terribly. Rest we'll Freddie, bank on brother.

COL Bille

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I had the pleasure of knowing Freddie a very little bit in Chicago and, later, knowing him better through occasional emails, forum posts, and owning his books. It was a real pleasure.

I will miss him and my sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Cory

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
RIP Freddy

RIP Freddy

My condolences to Freddys family and friends. I met Freddy through the Ghost about 8 years ago and he was always very cordial to me when I would see him at the pool hall or DCC. Although he could be long winded with his stories, he had the best stories and a million of them. My best memory of Freddy was a couple of years ago when he and I played some cheap banks at Red Shoes and I rifled in a bank that he thought didn't go but did. He said "Wow, great shot!!! I didn't think that would go!!! Freddy didn't compliment too many players at my level, but he gave credit when it was due. It was a great shot and he knew it. Of course he still beat me, but a compliment like that coming from him playing banks made my day!!!
Rest in peace Freddy!!!! I sure hope you are having fun with your friends in the great pool room in the sky!!