What is the rule??

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
......I like that type of 2 rail shot so much....that, I practice it...incessantly (at various speeds).........and is mandatory in my Pre-game warm up (to see how the table and rubbers react)......

....I use the shot from various positions on the table....throughout.....the game.....(quite often it will offer a greater cue ball control....in lieu of the long cut)....

......I always like to know...if the rubber is running long or short (some tables the angle lengthens after the second rail...some shorten-up).....
I like your idea of practicing shots of this kind they come up often enough to make the difference of winning or losing many games. Freddie would at times suggest the two rail bank, as opposed to playing another shot that appeared a bit easier but didn't offer the potential shots like these carried.

By the way, put me down for the guys who say..both balls should spot up. :D

Bill Incardona

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
I like your idea of practicing shots of this kind they come up often enough to make the difference of winning or losing many games. Freddie would at times suggest the two rail bank, as opposed to playing another shot that appeared a bit easier but didn't offer the potential shots like these carried.

By the way, put me down for the guys who say..both balls should spot up. :D

Bill Incardona

...thanks....

......for years I've watched many players pass it up...especially nine ball players learning the game (they like to cut the ball in).......also many Veteran Players that have to yet learn of the advantages to position play and table control...that can be gained....

....but, if agreeing means that I have to give up that..."heavy weight".....I expected to get...if We ever play....then I take it all back....and think it's a stupid shot and would never shoot it......:heh....

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Rod, I'm looking at your diagram in post #13. English at 3 o'clock, the first angle is tight, but the second opens up a bit. I don't understand. Looks to me like you would need 9 o'clock english to follow that path. What am I missing?

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Rod, I'm looking at your diagram in post #13. English at 3 o'clock, the first angle is tight, but the second opens up a bit. I don't understand. Looks to me like you would need 9 o'clock english to follow that path. What am I missing?

....maybe our own Mr. Science (no pun intended).....Patrick Johnson could explain...

.....the Science of how speed, side spin and the friction imparted by the rubber (rail)....can change the trajectory of the object ball....after contact with the second rail....

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Bill.
Most English takes on the 2nd rail, if you have a loose grip, don't hit too hard or draw the ball.
I'm looking at a clock :) and I'm sure RHE is 3 Oclock.
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
...thanks....

......for years I've watched many players pass it up...especially nine ball players learning the game (they like to cut the ball in).......also many Veteran Players that have to yet learn of the advantages to position play and table control...that can be gained....

....but, if agreeing means that I have to give up that..."heavy weight".....I expected to get...if We ever play....then I take it all back....and think it's a stupid shot and would never shoot it......:heh....

Your logic is sound regardless of what you want to take back..that would be stupid. Once you have knowledge you just can't concede and say you don't have it, especially when you're giving a proposal. Any ways, no, I don't want to play unless you give "heavy weight" :heh

Bill Incardona

tylerdurden

Verified Member
The thing I don't like about the 2 rail shot is that I feel on most tables (unless it is brand new cloth) you have to get too close to his hole on that second rail. I feel the area you have to hit is really close to his pocket on cloth I play on, really close. I like the shot much better on new cloth.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Bill, the strength of this shot is using the outside/3 oclock/right hand english, because it's an easier hit then with "left hand" english. With right hand english your hitting a fuller ball, which enables you to get a better look at the OB. Plus the opposite english (left hand) english will shorten the shot too much if you hit a full ball so consequently you must adjust your aim and hit "less" ball which will not only complicate the shot ,you will also lose control of the top ball. The shot plays out natural with "right hand english"

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post Bill, if you were questioning the action that was drawn up, that would depend on the rails and possibly conditions..humidity..however, Rod's diagram looked reasonable to me, using left english..oops.."right english" under normal conditions.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well, maybe I am just nitpicking, but with right hand english, I would expect the first angle to open up, and the second one to be sharper. However, it is a fact that I don't have much success with such double banks.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The thing I don't like about the 2 rail shot is that I feel on most tables (unless it is brand new cloth) you have to get too close to his hole on that second rail. I feel the area you have to hit is really close to his pocket on cloth I play on, really close. I like the shot much better on new cloth.

If you don't draw or slam the shot, your target is half the distance from the spot to the opposite corner pocket for the second rail.
Rod.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't know guys, I guess I don't agree much. Or, maybe it is just that I don't say anything when I agree. That really is the case. I find myself quietly in agreement all the time :D

Off that second rail in the diagram the ob is going to have left on it, and if it has even just enough speed to make the pocket, it is really going to straiten out. If you put any more speed on it, it will straighten out more. At least on the tables I grew up on. Pretty much every one of us plays on tables that have tons of chalk embedded in the rails, and varying amounts of humidity though. So...

If somebody can set it up and knock it in like that, I will consider myself informed.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Your logic is sound regardless of what you want to take back..that would be stupid. Once you have knowledge you just can't concede and say you don't have it, especially when you're giving a proposal. Any ways, no, I don't want to play unless you give "heavy weight" :heh

Bill Incardona

....sure thing....I'll just eat a few more Doughnuts...every night until....I gain about 30#.....if I give You anymore weight than that....I'll have to have someone else tie my shoes for Me.....:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I don't know guys, I guess I don't agree much. Or, maybe it is just that I don't say anything when I agree. That really is the case. I find myself quietly in agreement all the time :D

Off that second rail in the diagram the ob is going to have left on it, and if it has even just enough speed to make the pocket, it is really going to straiten out. If you put any more speed on it, it will straighten out more. At least on the tables I grew up on. Pretty much every one of us plays on tables that have tons of chalk embedded in the rails, and varying amounts of humidity though. So...

If somebody can set it up and knock it in like that, I will consider myself informed.

Well, I'll assume you mean anyone besides me.
Rod.
P.S. I think you have me mixed up with Patrick, I don't care to argue.
I posted the shot trying to be helpful, in reply to an earlier post by you.
You obviously don't have access to a table or this would be a moot discussion.

Last edited: