....slideing on a Pool Table....is not a Disco dance step....

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bill, did you attempt this shot both ways, or just speaking from experience?

Experience, and the extreme angle of the ''clip'' shot, it's a near hangar for a Great 9 baller as there is no possibility of a scratch. Using plan A the shot becomes EXTREMELY difficult because of swing speed and squirt, plus a scratch comes into play because of your lack of control.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Experience, and the extreme angle of the ''clip'' shot, it's a near hangar for a Great 9 baller as there is no possibility of a scratch. Using plan A the shot becomes EXTREMELY difficult because of swing speed and squirt, plus a scratch comes into play because of your lack of control.

...I think it would be considered more of a....squeeze shot........He squeezes you...and in return...You squeeze Him....;)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

I may have a chance to get to the "PR" tomorrow, I'll see if I can get the shot videoed.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Yes, that prop shot is helped by an "inside stun" shot - CB sliding with no follow or draw but with inside spin. Inside spin curves the CB to hit the OB more full, which slows the CB down. The CB sliding at contact maximizes throw from the inside spin, which "brakes" the CB (equal/opposite reaction from the throw).

BTW, that prop shot can also be made (at least on some tables) by just rolling the CB with "natural follow" and no sidespin.

pj
chgo

...wait just a darn minute......are You saying that You can make the spot shot...with no draw...using natural follow....and not hit the end rail with the CB ?......hold on, I'm looking for my wallet.....:lol

.....when You say..."on some tables"......are these tables level or sitting on two back legs that have been sawed off ?......

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
A drag shot is a draw shot used to minimize table roll as well as to minimize the energy of the collision. The shot is hit with draw, and the draw burns off just before it reaches the object ball, slowing the cue ball down fairly dramatically and hitting the object ball as it is sliding (think knuckleball). This allows you to hit a ball with a confident stroke and minimize table roll, but, at the same time, not have the cue ball rebound hard off the object ball.

It is a beautiful, advanced shot and must be struck with precision, lest you get some pesky side spin. Other than that, you have to have a feel for the friction of the cloth to know how much draw and power to apply to get the intended effect. It typically is shot with extreme draw and medium speed.

A variant of the drag shot is to have the draw burn off a foot or more before the commission, which gives you a mild follow.

On both of these shots, you should place to very slightly over cut the ball due to throw and skidding.

There is really no more on the subject.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Why would you use ANY English trying to shoot that shot? Many pro nine ballers would hang that shot up, its so tough.

TODAY, I'll see how difficult the shot is the way "I" shoot it!

BTW, there were some comments made about the BEST way to make a "super" thin cut shot!
;)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
A very important shot playing golf on a snooker table, especially a 6 x 12, to cut down on the roll off when there is a lot of bump/bump going on.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
...wait just a darn minute......are You saying that You can make the spot shot...with no draw...using natural follow....and not hit the end rail with the CB ?
Yep - so can you!

......hold on, I'm looking for my wallet.....:lol
Careful 'til you've tried it... :eek:

.....when You say..."on some tables"......are these tables level or sitting on two back legs that have been sawed off ?......
For instance, I can do it on the Brunswick Metro at my pool hall - a very clean table with newer Simonis 860 - where the CB only gets to within about 6 inches of the bottom rail. And I've done it on lots of other tables too.

It takes a veeerrrryyyy slooowwww rolling CB (OB just topples into pocket), so you might have to allow for rolloffs.

pj
chgo

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
A drag shot is a draw shot used to minimize table roll as well as to minimize the energy of the collision. The shot is hit with draw, and the draw burns off just before it reaches the object ball, slowing the cue ball down fairly dramatically and hitting the object ball as it is sliding (think knuckleball). This allows you to hit a ball with a confident stroke and minimize table roll, but, at the same time, not have the cue ball rebound hard off the object ball.

It is a beautiful, advanced shot and must be struck with precision, lest you get some pesky side spin. Other than that, you have to have a feel for the friction of the cloth to know how much draw and power to apply to get the intended effect. It typically is shot with extreme draw and medium speed.

A variant of the drag shot is to have the draw burn off a foot or more before the commission, which gives you a mild follow.

On both of these shots, you should place to very slightly over cut the ball due to throw and skidding.

There is really no more on the subject.

...your description seems to fall in line with most others.......the only difference being.........how the shot was labeled.....

.....I'm sure You and the other Players (except the two that are busy talking on their Cell phones while they're driving) are aware that the reason this type of shot was used in Prop bets is because...like You said...... a knowledge of cloth friction.....and how precise of a hit it had to be.....was required to pull it off......

......this wasn't always obvious to the average player.....(the exact reason I brought up this shot)

..........novice and experienced players alike can benefit from.....the analysis's that You and a few other knowledgeable Players are posting on the subject.....

....thanks for the reply.........You also win a cupie doll :)o)......

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Yep - so can you!

Careful 'til you've tried it... :eek:

For instance, I can do it on the Brunswick Metro at my pool hall - a very clean table with newer Simonis 860 - where the CB only gets to within about 6 inches of the bottom rail. And I've done it on lots of other tables too.

It takes a veeerrrryyyy slooowwww rolling CB (OB just topples into pocket), so you might have to allow for rolloffs.

pj
chgo

...*puts his wallet back in his pocket*.....

...oh !...you mean.....shoot it at pocket speed.....:lol.....

....yep...I can do it too...if I've had a couple of...Margaritas.....to slow down my....hyper stroke.....and boost my confidence......:cool:

Skin

Verified Member
...your description seems to fall in line with most others.......the only difference being.........how the shot was labeled.....

.....I'm sure You and the other Players (except the two that are busy talking on their Cell phones while they're driving) are aware that the reason this type of shot was used in Prop bets is because...like You said...... a knowledge of cloth friction.....and how precise of a hit it had to be.....was required to pull it off......

......this wasn't always obvious to the average player.....(the exact reason I brought up this shot)

..........novice and experienced players alike can benefit from.....the analysis's that You and a few other knowledgeable Players are posting on the subject.....

....thanks for the reply.........You also win a cupie doll :)o)......

So 926, if you put low side spin on it like you describe, is it still called a drag shot? I guess it could be although I have never thought about it. I have just thought about a drag shot being shot with straight low.

Skin

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
So 926, if you put low side spin on it like you describe, is it still called a drag shot? I guess it could be although I have never thought about it. I have just thought about a drag shot being shot with straight low.

Skin

...maybe it's just a generational gap thing.....when I hesitate to call it..."a Drag shot" .....I'd be afraid people would expect to see Me shot it wearing a dress, high heels and false eyelashes....:lol

...(imo)...most all the responses refer to shots in the...slide category.....I believe Vapros stated it the most eloquently...with his Bowling ball analogy....

.....side English is not mandatory to implement the slide....draw is....required to slide the CB...to the impact area.....

.....after that the side English or not.....would determine the direction of travel (throw if You will)...of the Object ball...

.....the tangent line the Cue ball takes after....contact with the Object ball.....would be alterable depending where You strike the Object ball.....giving You more options to maneuver around obstacles (except chalk, girlfriends car keys and the like)......

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Referring to the pic below:
Is the "speed" for the shot hit the SAME for each position of the OB? And if so, WHY? And if NOT, WHY?
It can be the same speed if the OBs are spaced appropriately. The diagram simply illustrates the concept that the amount of backspin changes as the surface cloth "rubs it off" (the OBs are spaced to show the "spin condition" for each kind of shot, not to represent actual distances). Under actual conditions you have to adjust how low and how hard you hit the shot to be sure the CB will have the right amount of back/forward spin when it hits the OB. This changes with distance and ball/cloth conditions (cleanliness, wear, humidity).

pj
chgo

View attachment 69926

Attachments

• dragdraw.jpg
    dragdraw.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
OK, well I guess any shot that has traveled far enough for the backspin (with or without side spin) to be lost off the cb is by definition a drag shot. I can live with that.

Skin

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
OK, well I guess any shot that has traveled far enough for the backspin (with or without side spin) to be lost off the cb is by definition a drag shot. I can live with that.

Skin
The labels on my diagram aren't "official" terms in any sense; just the most common/descriptive ones that I've picked up from listening over the years.

pj
chgo