....slideing on a Pool Table....is not a Disco dance step....

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
OK, well I guess any shot that has traveled far enough for the backspin (with or without side spin) to be lost off the cb is by definition a drag shot. I can live with that.

Skin

....:lol...I thought I said...yours was a Spin shot.......not that mine was a Drag shot..........lol....OK !!!...You say toemaytoe........and.....I say tamatoe.....I can live with that too......:D.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
Referring to the pic below:

It can be the same speed if the OBs are spaced appropriately. The diagram simply illustrates the concept that the amount of backspin changes as the surface cloth "rubs it off" (the OBs are spaced to show the "spin condition" for each kind of shot, not to represent actual distances). Under actual conditions you have to adjust how low and how hard you hit the shot to be sure the CB will have the right amount of back/forward spin when it hits the OB. This changes with distance and ball/cloth conditions (cleanliness, wear, humidity).

pj
chgo

View attachment 69926

...that sounds like what Straightback was saying.....too.....

It is a beautiful, advanced shot and must be struck with precision, lest you get some pesky side spin. Other than that, you have to have a feel for the friction of the cloth to know how much draw and power to apply to get the intended effect. It typically is shot with extreme draw and medium speed.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Sure, I start many shots with some draw. It is a method of speed control without slow rolling, and makes you less susceptible to a table that is not quite flat. With english, it gets complicated, and begins to act like a bowling ball that is rotating, but not end-over-end. When it slides thru the oily part of the lane and then finds traction, it hooks. I think the cue ball does the same.

Among the matches from the 2011 One Pocket Tournament, I recently watched Efren Reyes vs a big bald-headed Canadian - name forgotten. In the first game, there is a camera angle down almost at the table level, and right behind the pocket. Efren's long shot, with inside draw, makes an astounding curve before reaching the object ball. Of course he made the shot. Why do you ask?

That fellow is actually a member here -- not very active obviously --but I am blanking on his name :eek:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Experience, and the extreme angle of the ''clip'' shot, it's a near hangar for a Great 9 baller as there is no possibility of a scratch. Using plan A the shot becomes EXTREMELY difficult because of swing speed and squirt, plus a scratch comes into play because of your lack of control.

Experience, and the extreme angle of the ''clip'' shot, it's a near hangar for a Great 9 baller as there is no possibility of a scratch. Using plan A the shot becomes EXTREMELY difficult because of swing speed and squirt, plus a scratch comes into play because of your lack of control.

Bill; I went to the "PR" today by myself, I didn't have an assistant, so I had to set the camera up myself.

I shot the EXTREME cut-shot I diagramed, the ONLY difference is, I moved the CB closer to the OB because the rail got in the way of my bridge. But, the video position has the SAME angle into the OB!

View attachment 10648

Here's the photo of the position on the table today.

View attachment 10649

Here's the video of me making the shot, with a, 6-7 inch bridge and a 3-4 inch follow-thru.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxnUl7qrw4Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxnUl7qrw4Q[/ame]

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Good shot, Bill. And Brian Butler is the Canadian Steve and Vap are talking about, I think...