Scott and Efren live now if you are awake

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Larry, this is an interesting point. For years I've heard about true gamblers having heart; that they can take the worst of it, lose game after game. But the next time they'll come back and win. It's clear that guys have equated "heart" with "manliness". In other words real men, or guys that are tough can take a beating, but yet come back.

But when it comes to Reyes --in this case, there have been others-- he's all of a sudden a "smart" gambler if he loses a game or set and quits. So then to be consistent, as a gambler does Reyes have no "heart"? Is he to be considered a sissy, a faint heart when it comes to the cash?

This is not a question just to you, but posed as an open one.

~Doc
It's true that Reyes will quit in a game that he doesn't feel comfortable playing, however, if you start out beating him he will lose more than a few barrels, I know that from our battles. Normally he's being staked with the exception when he's playing cheap at tournaments against people that just want to play with him because it's him. Yes, he's usually stealing then, but it is what it is. Reyes has played many tough games on paper against formidable opponents and had to dig down deep to prevail, so the answer to your question on ..how does he do as a gambler compared to his tournament play should be answered..imo.

There are a lot of people/players that manage well when gambling, that shouldn't be held against them when you're talking about "heart" Jack Cooney is a perfect example of the type of player I speak about, including myself as well. Many times Jack has been in tough games and had to dig deep to win, and he did..many times, as well as myself in similar situations. Being a smart player and manager shouldn't be misconstrued as a player that has no heart, however, there are players that have no heart who are great managers but Reyes isn't one of them.

Bill Incardona

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think heart is an over-rated attribute. Among pool players, it seems to mark a player who is always ready to bet whatever he has, or to hang onto a bad bet.

The guys with the most heart can often be found in the parking lot, sleeping in fourteen year old Cadillacs. The guys with savvy and intelligence have a much better chance to retire someday and go fishing.

Going broke - being broke - is no fun. I don't care if it does endear you to the railbirds. They will go home to supper and to a good bed. Also, being willing and ready to lose other people's money does not make you fearless.

I have wanted to say that for a long time. Today is the day.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I just love it when guys talk about how they get comped at all the luxury hotels in Vegas. This is just an indication of how much they are willing to drop at every visit.
Card players are always looking for fish. They are constantly on the look to find soft games. If they are in a tough game they are always looking to put a player on tilt.
In pool the exact opposite is held to standard.
Making money in gambling is a business. You do what is best to accelerate your ROI (return of investment). Of course you have to try to satisfy and be fair to your customers. Giving them full value for their participation. But the question of heart or not has nothing to do with it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Billy Incardona: “Playing one pocket with Efren is like being in the desert with no water in the middle of the summer. I will never play him again”

Someone asked Ronnie Allen: “Would Efren have beaten you in your prime?”, Ronnie said: “he probably would‘ve, but he would have been too tired to enjoy it”

Billy: “Efren is such a nice guy.” Grady: “ yes, but he is a killer on the pool table.”

Billy: “It is hard to beat someone who gets all the loose balls all the time.”

Billy : “Efren is the greatest all around player of all time. He is unarguably the best player alive.” Danny Dileberto: “ Even the players feel that way. And it is hard to get players to admit stuff like. That’s an “ego” thing.”

“what makes Efren such a good player?” I asked Ernesto Dominguez. “it is the way he handle that white ball. No other player can do it to that level.”

I drew Efren in a one pocket tournament in Sacramento. The race to 4 was over in 15 minutes. I felt like a one legged chicken in weasel country!

One of my favorite Incardona lines came at the end of a list of players and what he had learned from each of them: "From Efren, I learned not to play him." :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
...he's all of a sudden a "smart" gambler if he loses a game or set and quits. So then to be consistent, as a gambler does Reyes have no "heart"? Is he to be considered a sissy, a faint heart when it comes to the cash?

~Doc

There are three things involved in people's reaction:

1) If a player hangs in while suffering a beating and comes back to get even or better, he has heart. If he doesn't make the comeback, he "Went off like a sucker";

2) Gamblers love a player who will fire all his bullets, so they self-interestedly criticize those who won't.

3) Unless we know whose money is at risk it's pretty hard to judge a hang-in or a pull-up.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think heart is an over-rated attribute. Among pool players, it seems to mark a player who is always ready to bet whatever he has, or to hang onto a bad bet.

The guys with the most heart can often be found in the parking lot, sleeping in fourteen year old Cadillacs. The guys with savvy and intelligence have a much better chance to retire someday and go fishing.

Going broke - being broke - is no fun. I don't care if it does endear you to the railbirds. They will go home to supper and to a good bed. Also, being willing and ready to lose other people's money does not make you fearless.

Good one, Mr. B.:)

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I agree with Doc, good one Mr. Bill.;)

Dr. Bill

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think heart is an over-rated attribute. Among pool players, it seems to mark a player who is always ready to bet whatever he has, or to hang onto a bad bet. This was me when I was young and broke.

You nailed Bill.

On a little different note.
My partner and I made a good score in West Monroe La., We were at a roadside park having a bite to eat. I made the comment that the contractor he'd played missed most spot shots.
Jimmy said yeah but he got in a new truck and went home to have a steak, and we're sitting on concrete eating lunch meat, cheese and crackers.:):D
Rod.
P.S. Ah, but those were the days.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You nailed Bill.

On a little different note.
My partner and I made a good score in West Monroe La., We were at a roadside park having a bite to eat. I made the comment that the contractor he'd played missed most spot shots.
Jimmy said yeah but he got in a new truck and went home to have a steak, and we're sitting on concrete eating lunch meat, cheese and crackers.:):D
Rod.
P.S. Ah, but those were the days.

That is funny, but it sucks that pool offers so little financial reward for 20 of the top 25, and even much less for the next 200.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
That is funny, but it sucks that pool offers so little financial reward for 20 of the top 25, and even much less for the next 200.

I wonder whether that's because so many people think anyone could do it if they just had time to practice enough.