Question for Mark Griffin

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I hear what your....

I hear what your....

....saying.Hardly optimum.....but if theres a choice between one prestigeous tournament and one dead one,OR 2 prestigeous back to back what would one choose?Open to anything happening we are......Chris Billiards is a couple hundred miles from there....Red Shoes....run it in 2-3 days....guys who lose the first time often like to try again...I hear theres a place called Las Vegas founded on those principals......what would Titanic or Artie say?Your turn....I hate typing......

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Just to be clear, I think the US Open One Pocket tournament should not die. However, I don't think the answer is running it concurrently with Derby City. That just seems duplicitous and would tend to lessen each one.

I think you have hit something, though, which is that it probably won't pay to truck a bunch of 9' tables into a venue to put the tournament on. We should look at tacking it on to some other tournament or letting one of the nicer pool halls host it. Chicago sounds like a no-brainer - there are well-run tournaments already at Chris's and Red Shoes - why not put the US Open name on one? As a practical matter, all that would be changing is
the name and possibly more entrants to vie for such a prestigious title.

Either that, or change the title slightly and make it known that this is for all the marbles.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I also...

I also...

.......think you have hit on something to be explored.Working on a shoestring always brings out the lightweights and theres usually trouble rearing its ugly head when theres not enough to go around which explains NHSteves post I guess........ah well,back to the drawing board.....nice visiting with yall as usual,Bob.....I also thank you for reminding me the correct spelling of "prestigious"

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Just to be clear, I think the US Open One Pocket tournament should not die. However, I don't think the answer is running it concurrently with Derby City. That just seems duplicitous and would tend to lessen each one.

I think you have hit something, though, which is that it probably won't pay to truck a bunch of 9' tables into a venue to put the tournament on. We should look at tacking it on to some other tournament or letting one of the nicer pool halls host it. Chicago sounds like a no-brainer - there are well-run tournaments already at Chris's and Red Shoes - why not put the US Open name on one? As a practical matter, all that would be changing is
the name and possibly more entrants to vie for such a prestigious title.

Either that, or change the title slightly and make it known that this is for all the marbles.

Keep in mind the pool rooms lose money on these bigger tournaments without some outside funding and the more days they run, the more they lose and tie up the room for their regular customers, most of which do not care about a one pocket tournament. They are not set up to handle many spectators either.

If the guys that run the biggest tournaments in the country can't put it together, it looks like somebody else will have to step up to keep it going.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Keep in mind the pool rooms lose money on these bigger tournaments without some outside funding and the more days they run, the more they lose and tie up the room for their regular customers, most of which do not care about a one pocket tournament. They are not set up to handle many spectators either.

If the guys that run the biggest tournaments in the country can't put it together, it looks like somebody else will have to step up to keep it going.

Your points are true, but wouldn't a guy like Mark Wilson lose even more by renting a facility, transporting tables, hiring mechanics to put them up and take them down, etc?

Seems like he could take his intellectual property (the name), garner sponsors, and take any added money to a decent-sized poolroom that wanted some exposure.

Why can't some entrepreneur just open a dedicated facility in Vegas with 50/tables and run everything through there? Problem solved! Wish it was that easy...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Your points are true, but wouldn't a guy like Mark Wilson lose even more by renting a facility, transporting tables, hiring mechanics to put them up and take them down, etc?

Seems like he could take his intellectual property (the name), garner sponsors, and take any added money to a decent-sized poolroom that wanted some exposure. ...
This was my thinking in post #8. If Mark were to save tens of thousands by not having to fool with the equipment and set-up costs, then he could afford to reimburse a room owner for lost expenses.

The reason I suggested Lacy's Cue near New Orleans was that the equipment is first rate, and there is plenty of room. The owner would most probably move tables around as necessary to accommodate bleachers. Plus the winter weather is very pleasant, in contrast to Nevada's.

But Mark said that they were looking at some ideas, and presumably he'll let us know in a few weeks. He's very innovative, so he'll likely come up with a solution.

~Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
This was my thinking in post #8. If Mark were to save tens of thousands by not having to fool with the equipment and set-up costs, then he could afford to reimburse a room owner for lost expenses.

The reason I suggested Lacy's Cue near New Orleans was that the equipment is first rate, and there is plenty of room. The owner would most probably move tables around as necessary to accommodate bleachers. Plus the winter weather is very pleasant, in contrast to Nevada's.

But Mark said that they were looking at some ideas, and presumably he'll let us know in a few weeks. He's very innovative, so he'll likely come up with a solution.

~Doc

Sorry, Doc, didn't go all the way to the beginning! Great minds and all...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Seems like he could take his intellectual property (the name), garner sponsors, and take any added money to a decent-sized poolroom that wanted some exposure.

Why can't some entrepreneur just open a dedicated facility in Vegas with 50/tables and run everything through there? Problem solved! Wish it was that easy...

It is Mark Griffin from CSI. Mark Wilson is the Mosconi Cup captain. I am sure Mark G. would let Mark W. have it if he wanted it.:sorry

I like your idea about a big room in Las Vegas (Mark G. Lives there) but pool rooms have a tough time surviving in Vegas and have been coming and going for years. The ones that have lasted over the years are a little rough.

If the US Open Nine Ball can't break even after 39 years, the US Open One Pocket has a dim future unless CSI finds a way or they can find someone willing to take it over. Maybe Lacy's in New Orleans or the California Billiard Club could handle it. We can only hope somebody works it out.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
It is Mark Griffin from CSI. Mark Wilson is the Mosconi Cup captain. I am sure Mark G. would let Mark W. have it if he wanted it.:sorry

I like your idea about a big room in Las Vegas (Mark G. Lives there) but pool rooms have a tough time surviving in Vegas and have been coming and going for years. The ones that have lasted over the years are a little rough.

If the US Open Nine Ball can't break even after 39 years, the US Open One Pocket has a dim future unless CSI finds a way or they can find someone willing to take it over. Maybe Lacy's in New Orleans or the California Billiard Club could handle it. We can only hope somebody works it out.

Whoops, you know who I meant. As regards a dedicated facility, it seems like pool has dwindled so far that we almost need something like that to even have tournaments. I know it's idealistic, but a huge pole barn on some cheap land seems like it could work.

However, I'm sure Mark and company have likely considered such options and discarded them. Hell, I thought the TAR route had real promise. Guess that shows you how low pool is as a sport.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
has anyone heard any update on the US Open One Pocket Championship???

Last I heard there is no latest. Mark would like to do something but it's tough to haul tables across the country, hold an event, and make money. He wants to do something but I believe it is unknown at this time what that will be. Most probably not Reno again.

Lou Figueroa

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have spoken to the owner of Ca Billiards and at this time he is concentrating on getting his place open.
I have talked to him about having a World One Pocket or a National one pocket so as to not intrude on Marks US Open One pocket.
To me having it in Fremont would be fabulous. His new place is probably the nicest pool room I have ever seen. The table layouts are great with plenty of space between each BLUE covered Gold Crowns. Instead of the four inch pockets he had had at the old place, he has opened them up to a gigantic 4 1/4". The location is close to two major airports and has many hotels and restaurants nearby. This is besides the restaurant in his place.
I am interested myself in helping him promote either an Annual National or World one pocket tournament. It can't be done with his concentrating on getting open his place open.
Ca Billiards has hosted several successful one pocket tournament drawing the best players from around the world. He has a good track record of great tournaments.
I think if Mark is interested in having an annual one pocket tournament, having it in a stable location year after year would be very feasible in Fremont.
I may be prejudiced but having the U.S. Open in one spot where the weather is NEVER a factor is a plus.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Last I heard there is no latest. Mark would like to do something but it's tough to haul tables across the country, hold an event, and make money. He wants to do something but I believe it is unknown at this time what that will be. Most probably not Reno again.

Lou Figueroa

Don't tell me you are one of those players that think promoters hold major tournaments in order to make money...

baby huey

Verified Member
The one pocket event that Mark hosted all these years needs a home and I can think of no better place then the California Billiard Club. Chris and company put on a good show and I also think Hard Times Sacramento also do a very good job. These two rooms know how to treat pool players and it's so much fun to just be in these two rooms playing. I just hope something happens.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
The one pocket event that Mark hosted all these years needs a home and I can think of no better place then the California Billiard Club. Chris and company put on a good show and I also think Hard Times Sacramento also do a very good job. These two rooms know how to treat pool players and it's so much fun to just be in these two rooms playing. I just hope something happens.

I have to agree on this, Chris is a great guy and maybe Mark and himself could make it happen.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Mark is a part owner of Diamond though -- I would think he would want it to be on Diamond tables, in whatever room it was in. That's the only drawback I see...

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Don't tell me you are one of those players that think promoters hold major tournaments in order to make money...

yep, absolutely nuts, I know. A guy who figures out the bottomline beforehand.

"Reality. What a concept."
Robin Williams

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
It used to be great when it was held every year up in Kalamazoo. You knew where and when it was going to be every year and could plan well in advance. Big room, Gandy tables (albeit with generous pockets), Raschig balls, and Matt who was a very hospitable host.

I think holding it at a pool room would be a good idea, but I'm pretty sure Diamond tables would be a prerequite. Isn't there a big room in Florida (Shark Tank?) that's supposed to be nice and all Diamonds?

Lou Figueroa