US Open One Pocket?

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Is there no tournament this year? If yes. When? If no, why?
Thanks

No tournament this year.

Because the promoter loses money hauling in enough Diamonds for 9' events.

There is a small possibility that there might be one next year.

You're welcome.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Farr

No tournament this year.

Because the promoter loses money hauling in enough Diamonds for 9' events.

There is a small possibility that there might be one next year.

You're welcome.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks Lou. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Why don't the have in an established Pool Room? Does it have to be in a Hotel ballroom?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We know Mark Griffin -- who is the US Open One Pocket promoter -- supports One Pocket. I am not so sure about some of the others at CSI though. I think for some of them, the schedule issues are more of their main complaint rather than the 9' tables. I think from the schedule naysayer's perspective they consider blocking for 3 hour matches bad enough, but when you have some that run 4 or 5 hours between the uptable play and the painfully slow deliberation for many shots, with all the multiple events they try to squeeze into those tournament weeks -- that is their main complaint.

Was it the last US Open One Pocket that also had a power outage during a Corey Deuel match that made Corey's slow play look even worse because of the power interruption?

Given that, why not move the US Open One Pocket out to a poolroom that would really appreciate it, so the One Pocket people (of which there are quite a few) could bask in the most beautiful cue game on earth with a strong field of international contenders.

Or if they want to keep it in the big CSI tournament weeks, why not invest in a few shot clocks to make an effort to specifically do something about those few players and those few games that are the ones that cause the most schedule problems??

SJDinPHX

Suspended
We know Mark Griffin -- who is the US Open One Pocket promoter -- supports One Pocket. I am not so sure about some of the others at CSI though. I think for some of them, the schedule issues are more of their main complaint rather than the 9' tables. I think from the schedule naysayer's perspective they consider blocking for 3 hour matches bad enough, but when you have some that run 4 or 5 hours between the uptable play and the painfully slow deliberation for many shots, with all the multiple events they try to squeeze into those tournament weeks -- that is their main complaint.

Was it the last US Open One Pocket that also had a power outage during a Corey Deuel match that made Corey's slow play look even worse because of the power interruption?

Given that, why not move the US Open One Pocket out to a poolroom that would really appreciate it, so the One Pocket people (of which there are quite a few) could bask in the most beautiful cue game on earth with a strong field of international contenders.

Or if they want to keep it in the big CSI tournament weeks, why not invest in a few shot clocks to make an effort to specifically do something about those few players and those few games that are the ones that cause the most schedule problems??

Excellent input Steve..I just can't believe, that as much as Mark loves one pocket, he will allow the Open to just fade away, or become a 2nd tier event !..:( Sure wish he would drop by with his thoughts on the matter :confused:

NJshooter

Verified Member
I think it's a shame they aren't having it, but at the same time, I get it. Moving it to a premier pool room is a very good idea, but, and I am not an expert, but I think that would make it even harder for a promoter to make money. There are economics behind all of it.

I don't know if the main complaint is the 9 foot table or not, either from the player or promoter perspective.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

A pool hall seems like the way to go, if cost is the issue. Somewhere with plenty of room, lots of parking, and reasonably priced hotels would seem ideal.

Over the summer, there was a thread on AZB about a guy who opened up a new, gigantic pool room in Statesville, NC. All Diamonds, 16 nine footers. And the owner seems eager to host significant tournaments. He seems to have thought it out pretty well; e.g., having bar tables that he can move to create seating for big events. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=395298 But it's an hour drive from Charlotte (on the other hand, it's easy to get to Charlotte).

I'm sure there are other places. Mike Page from Fargo Billiards might be interested. http://www.fargobilliards.com/

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
One of the ideas we have talked about is to run a series of qualifiers. That would spread out the engagement to different parts of the country (and world, because they are interested too!!), and it would keep the process OPEN, yet it would make the finals portion of the tournament more manageable.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Thanks Lou. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Why don't the have in an established Pool Room? Does it have to be in a Hotel ballroom?

Bob, I think the promoter's idea is to have the amateurs under the same roof as the pros. I imagine there are other considerations, such as using support staff there for one event for the other. However I know that the idea of holding it in an established pool room is being given due consideration.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member

While scheduling is an issue, I believe it's mostly about the 1pocket open being a money losing event that costs him at least $10K out the window.

Lou Figueroa

NJshooter

Verified Member
One of the ideas we have talked about is to run a series of qualifiers. That would spread out the engagement to different parts of the country (and world, because they are interested too!!), and it would keep the process OPEN, yet it would make the finals portion of the tournament more manageable.

I think that's a very good idea.

I've often said that so much more can be done with the game of pool, promoting it, marketing, etc. -- however, as all of us know, specifically, the game of one pocket is an entirely different issue. It boils down to "it is what it is" so to speak. Nothing can be done to speed up the game really. Want to start putting a clock on players? Shorter races? Where can this go really.

But I like the idea of qualifiers, similar to a satellite scenario. Like NH Steve said, it can create interest, in perhaps a different way and can provide more benefits as well.