Low Deflection shaft & the break

AndyB

I just switched to an LD shaft and am getting the hang of it for the most part. However, I'm having trouble with the break. The cb just doesn't curve into the sweet spot like it does with my normal shaft. I seem to be catching all 2nd ball.
Any ideas or tips would be most appreciated.

Andy

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Low Deflection shaft & the break

I just switched to an LD shaft and am getting the hang of it for the most part. However, I'm having trouble with the break. The cb just doesn't curve into the sweet spot like it does with my normal shaft. I seem to be catching all 2nd ball.

Andy

Funny. When I switched to an LD type of shaft I had the same experience. Never put it together that it was when I switched until your post. I can only report that I must have gotten used to it after a bit and adjusted because my break is pretty consistent now. I'm sure you will adjust naturally as well.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

Andy

Move your break spot, use more English or adjust your aim. Those are your three options.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Andy

Umm. Switch back and or use a house cue or something just for the break. I mean you said you were getting the hang of it, except for the break, right?? Nine ball players switch cues all the time. What's the problem?

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Move your break spot, use more English or adjust your aim. Those are your three options.

I think there's another, but it's not workable for everyone (including me.) Raise your bridge so you're getting less down or more up in the stroke.

However, I don't see the logic in the LD being responsible if you're breaking with inside english. Less deflection, same aim point, the problem I would expect would be hitting too much head ball.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
you are probably aiming (subconsciously??)expecting more deflection than the shaft is giving you
try aiming AT the second ball full in the face (you cant hit it full in the face because the head ball is in the way)
from there you can adjust your aim
jmho

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Some years back when I switched it took quite a while to get used to. Time and practice will help -- that's all I know. The break is one of those soft-spin shots that you would notice the difference.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
My guess is that it has less to do with deflection as such and more to do with the stiffness or some other quality of the new shaft. Butts don't make a real difference, but every shaft has differing characteristics that affect the hit, including taper, tip, ferrrule, joint material and thickness. I suspect that, just like all the other adjustments you are making with this new shaft, you will simply have to allow for time for the "arm-brain" computer to catch up to this new variable. Thus, playing more with it will help.

Just as an example, many pros who have made the switch haven't been able to make a ball for months. John Schmidt said it took him a full 2 years to adjust and that, given the opportunity, he would go back and not make the decision to switch.

I personally do not think they are of supreme benefit in one pocket as their benefits typically show up in long shots hit with pace, but, of course, to each his own.

Oh, and John correctly pointed this out - if not enough deflection were the issue, you'd be hitting to much of the head ball.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just switched to an LD shaft and am getting the hang of it for the most part. However, I'm having trouble with the break. The cb just doesn't curve into the sweet spot like it does with my normal shaft. I seem to be catching all 2nd ball. Any ideas or tips would be most appreciated.

Andy
As others have suggested, you may have to aim more toward the head ball. If it's a true LD shaft, like OBs or others, there is almost no deflection, so swerve doesn't come into play as much as with a traditional shaft. You might try aiming right at the spot that you'd like to hit. With an LD shaft, you're likely to hit it.:)

I've been using an OB1 for several years now, and I still tend to apply too much spin by hitting too far out on the CB. For 90% of spin shots, one tip of english is plenty.

Let us know your findings.

~Doc

AndyB

Well, I have the break thing taken care of, just need to adjust my aim some and try not to overthink it. Here's the other thing, I think I'm going to go back to the original shafts anyway. LD is a neat concept but I can't see any huge advantage using a LD shaft in onepocket as someone else already suggested. To unlearn all that has taken me this long to learn about aiming is just cluttering up my process.

Still on the fence

Andy