Derby chatter...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
My Derby

My Derby

This was not one of the better Derby's for me. I made the 5th round and the $$ but was disappointed I did not do better. Both my losses were to good players I had a chance against but I could not bring it when needed. They were both on the same table, #28 upstairs on the corner. The traffic going by a few feet from the table was non stop, sometimes with people sitting down in the chair next to you while they looked the room over.

This is something you just have to overcome, but I am spoiled from playing all year in rooms where you are apart from the crowd in a tournament area.

I know it is part of the experience and in my younger days I could have toughed it out, but it did effect my game. The matches I won were played downstairs in the enclosed area where I had better luck and concentration. I know age has something to do with it and there is not much I can do about that.:D

I did gamble a bit with Alex Lely, a great guy and a former member of Europe's Mosconi Cup team and currently coaching players and promoting one pocket in Holland. I lost a few games getting a little weight and was impressed with his game.

I spent quite a bit of time watching the finals in the banks and one pocket and was pleased to see John B win the banks and watch Alex come on stronger with each set in the one pocket. To win this tournament in a short race to 3 two years in a row, against this stellar field, is a remarkable feat.

It was also great to see, meet and spend time with the onepocket.org crew. Sorry I did not get to match up with any of you but it seems like the action guys were always busy and I was not going to stay up all night chasing a little action, which is what you had to do because tables were hard to come by.

Anyway, another DCC has come and gone and I am sure I will get the itch and go again next year.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
This was not one of the better Derby's for me. I made the 5th round and the $$ but was disappointed I did not do better. Both my losses were to good players I had a chance against but I could not bring it when needed. They were both on the same table, #28 upstairs on the corner. The traffic going by a few feet from the table was non stop, sometimes with people sitting down in the chair next to you while they looked the room over.

This is something you just have to overcome, but I am spoiled from playing all year in rooms where you are apart from the crowd in a tournament area.

I know it is part of the experience and in my younger days I could have toughed it out, but it did effect my game. The matches I won were played downstairs in the enclosed area where I had better luck and concentration. I know age has something to do with it and there is not much I can do about that.:D

I did gamble a bit with Alex Lely, a great guy and a former member of Europe's Mosconi Cup team and currently coaching players and promoting one pocket in Holland. I lost a few games getting a little weight and was impressed with his game.

I spent quite a bit of time watching the finals in the banks and one pocket and was pleased to see John B win the banks and watch Alex come on stronger with each set in the one pocket. To win this tournament in a short race to 3 two years in a row, against this stellar field, is a remarkable feat.

It was also great to see, meet and spend time with the onepocket.org crew. Sorry I did not get to match up with any of you but it seems like the action guys were always busy and I was not going to stay up all night chasing a little action, which is what you had to do because tables were hard to come by.

Anyway, another DCC has come and gone and I am sure I will get the itch and go again next year.

I went for $30.00 on hot dogs and nobody went for the trap. No steak dinners this year, I guess the hot dog trap is over. By the way the hotdogs were $3.00 instead of $2.00 I trapped myself. Glad to see you again, FastEddieF.