Caddie Tournament W Member

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Here's an idea/thought to create new players and interest.
Have each member in good standing bring a new player to an event, and have the experienced player tell them what to shoot and Why.
Be a great way to get Sparks involved.
Similar to what W the caddies do in Pro Golf events.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
always wondered this...for those that wear headphones or earbuds while playing in a tourney...what is preventing them from being connected to a call with an experienced one hole player sitting near by and telling them what to shoot? :)

I'm sure it has been done before, you think?

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
from playing games where I got to coach people it is a very interesting task since one pocket is so execution based it is hard for me to simplify my game to a point where I am not asking to much of the person I am coaching. It is a very educational experience to try to coach some one through a game. You need to have very good knowledge of there strengths and weakness's to do it well

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
from playing games where I got to coach people it is a very interesting task since one pocket is so execution based it is hard for me to simplify my game to a point where I am not asking to much of the person I am coaching. It is a very educational experience to try to coach some one through a game. You need to have very good knowledge of there strengths and weakness's to do it well
We play a lot of "partners" in the clubs around here. And indeed, knowing your partner is key. Of course many players simply hate being coached -- whether they actually do "know it all" or not, they think they do lol.

I'm presuming if you were going to bring along a friend/fellow player to mentor, you would know the player reasonably well though.

Or maybe the coached players all get their names thrown in a hat and they get different coaches every match?? Random draw matches and random draw partners/coaches.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Here's an idea/thought to create new players and interest.
Have each member in good standing bring a new player to an event, and have the experienced player tell them what to shoot and Why.
Be a great way to get Sparks involved.
Similar to what W the caddies do in Pro Golf events.

When I first saw this posted I first thought the caddy would wear a smock with your last name on it, carry your case like a golf bag, help you put your glove on your bridge hand, hold your cue, clean the shaft and chalk it until it’s your turn at the table, give you the speed of the cloth, take the balls you made out of your pocket, spot balls you owe after a scratch or a foul, shag balls when it’s your brake and rack the balls for you.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
We play a lot of "partners" in the clubs around here. And indeed, knowing your partner is key. Of course many players simply hate being coached -- whether they actually do "know it all" or not, they think they do lol.

I'm presuming if you were going to bring along a friend/fellow player to mentor, you would know the player reasonably well though.

Or maybe the coached players all get their names thrown in a hat and they get different coaches every match?? Random draw matches and random draw partners/coaches.
I think it would have to be players that would show interest in learning another game than 8 and 9 ball. Not ones that don't know how to hold a cue, but those that enjoy playing and play a fair amount, not weekend ball bangers.

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Of course many players simply hate being coached -- whether they actually do "know it all" or not, they think they do lol
Even players who know they don't know it all, and are amenable to being coached - can get tired of it real quick.

I was benefiting from the friendship of a very knowledgeable player who would enjoy shooting low-percentage high-payoff shots and generally very creative moving. Playing him while he coached me (taking me under his wing) was some of the most useful time I've ever spent learning at a table.
However, the coaching could become difficult to take after a while. Especially when walking up to the table with the shot already in mind and then have him tell you to shoot 'that same' shot. Which could happen frequently.
I was very lucky to become friends with this fellow and those experiences are priceless - but could be very frustrating at the time if you let your ego get in the way of being a student.