Hill-Hill Loss for the Cash

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I know many people will show there game winners and whatnot but I will show my game loser. I shoot the 13 which is my game ball, a thin cut which I split the pocket, I hit the 8 perfect to scratch in his pocket, I lose the game, set, cash. I know I am going into the 8 ball but think I might hit it full and move it while having cutting the game ball. Gus Briseno who is a good player was there and said I split the pocket and it was a chilly roll because a hair here or there and I do not scratch off the 8. Took the wind out of my sails for sure, the whole room was shocked actually, made for good hill-hill drama. I got my eyes on the ball, 13 splits the wicket and I look over at whitey running into that hole. Lets see some others chilly rolls. :(

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HFtd3MJDB2PUIb@[/cuetable]

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Before the first layout came up I did have this layout and shot the 5 ball hanging it up, he gets the 8 and the 12 and scratches the 5 and we battle with the 2 balls on the table. Was the 5 the right shot over the 12? I think the 12 might have been better even though it was tougher shot because if I missed I would probably have only given up the 8 as long as I did not leave a bank but I was not thinking of missing and took the easier shot.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3EXcP4HWrY3LItS2PROE@[/CUETABLE]

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
Was this your shot?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HFtd3MJDB2PUIb4cFtd4cFlr4cGHu3hJDB3hbbm2kUIb3kHGs4kGCM4kchs@[/CUETABLE]

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
ace said:
Was this your shot?

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HFtd3MJDB2PUIb4cFtd4cFlr4cGHu3hJDB3hbbm2kUIb3kHGs4kGCM4kchs@[/cuetable]

Yes it was, it looked much tougher to scratch then on paper but its close, the 8 might have been frozen too, but some decent players were stunned it happened really but I hit it just perfect. :D

senor

Verified Member
Fast Lenny said:
Before the first layout came up I did have this layout and shot the 5 ball hanging it up, he gets the 8 and the 12 and scratches the 5 and we battle with the 2 balls on the table. Was the 5 the right shot over the 12? I think the 12 might have been better even though it was tougher shot because if I missed I would probably have only given up the 8 as long as I did not leave a bank but I was not thinking of missing and took the easier shot.

Those are the key words. Missing the 5 shouldn't cross your mind. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you won't miss that shot but once or twice a month.

As for cold rolls on the pool table, I know I've had my share, but don't any of them stand out.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
Fast Lenny said:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3EXcP4HWrY3LItS2PROE@[/CUETABLE]
I would have shot the 5 also but, you HAVE TO MAKE IT , Then the twelve next.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
ace said:
I would have shot the 5 also but, you HAVE TO MAKE IT , Then the twelve next.

The 5 was my out ball at that point which I hung up, I did not need the 12, I still think the 5 was the right shot. I should have took a little more time on the 5 and then I would not have gotten the chilly roll because I would never have had that shot, lol. :D

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
senor said:
Those are the key words. Missing the 5 shouldn't cross your mind. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you won't miss that shot but once or twice a month.

As for cold rolls on the pool table, I know I've had my share, but don't any of them stand out.

I did not think about missing it at all and its a shot I do not miss often even at my low level, might have had some dog in me knowing it was for it all. :cool:

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
When Rod and I were playin the other day..we were talkin about potential car wrecks (carom scratches and such) and how you develop that quiet second voice that says don't try that, it could end badly. I have noticed my game improving slowly the more I pay attention to said voice.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Fast Lenny said:
The 5 was my out ball at that point which I hung up, I did not need the 12, I still think the 5 was the right shot. I should have took a little more time on the 5 and then I would not have gotten the chilly roll because I would never have had that shot, lol. :D
in time the 5 will be automatic. rackem next game:)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Fast Lenny said:
On dry equipment, with 4-1/2" or larger pockets, that 5-ball shot should be 90% successful for the average decent player. In fact at the DCC, with the cool dry tables, the 5 could be driven into the rail adjacent to the 1st diamond, and it probably would still go.

On the wet equipment here in Gulfport, Miss., if the 5 even touched the cloth on the way in, it would most likely hang up. So while the cut on the 5 is most likely the best shot selection on most equipment, sometimes I might be moved to pause, and look for something else.:cool:

Doc

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
gulfportdoc said:
On dry equipment, with 4-1/2" or larger pockets, that 5-ball shot should be 90% successful for the average decent player. In fact at the DCC, with the cool dry tables, the 5 could be driven into the rail adjacent to the 1st diamond, and it probably would still go.

On the wet equipment here in Gulfport, Miss., if the 5 even touched the cloth on the way in, it would most likely hang up. So while the cut on the 5 is most likely the best shot selection on most equipment, sometimes I might be moved to pause, and look for something else.:cool:

Doc

Yeah Doc, this Diamond is tough, if it touches the rail it more then likely will hang and right now its very humid here, very unusual actually. I hung it up where he could not remove the ball because I struck it well just not good enough.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fast Lenny said:
I know many people will show there game winners and whatnot but I will show my game loser. I shoot the 13 which is my game ball, a thin cut which I split the pocket, I hit the 8 perfect to scratch in his pocket, I lose the game, set, cash. I know I am going into the 8 ball but think I might hit it full and move it while having cutting the game ball. Gus Briseno who is a good player was there and said I split the pocket and it was a chilly roll because a hair here or there and I do not scratch off the 8. Took the wind out of my sails for sure, the whole room was shocked actually, made for good hill-hill drama. I got my eyes on the ball, 13 splits the wicket and I look over at whitey running into that hole. Lets see some others chilly rolls. :(

[cuetable]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HFtd3MJDB2PUIb@[/cuetable]
For me, if I am concerned about hitting the wrong side of the 8-ball here, I would use right (inside) english with the thought that my use of inside english would cause the cue ball to slide off of the 13-ball at a little flatter angle, which would reduce the risk of that scratch. Likewise, outside english would send the cue ball off at a thicker, more risky angle. Maybe this thin a cut it doesn't make any difference what english you use, but this is my instinct. Do you remember what you used for english, if any?