Some of Grady's Pictures - Thread 2

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Terry Ardeno said:
You're right Doc, that does look a lot like Allen Gilbert. But no 3C player ever sights that low, plus, I never knew Gilbert to venture that much into pocket billiards.

Gilbert would play a little golf on the snooker table once & a while when he was Allen Gold. Early 60's if I remember right.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Yes I remember the Isaly's in Hazelwood when I was a kid, I would go there 3 or 4 times a week to eat their chipped ham sandwhiches, usually followed with their chocolate almond ice cream. My brother use to order vanilla, I always got the chocolate almond, no better icecream than Isaly's. There was an Isaly's in Squirell Hill and the big one on I think the blvd.? What was the name of the st. the big Isaly's was on? It's not fun gettin old.:(
You may be referring to the Isaly's factory and store on the Blvd. of the Allies, which I think was in Oakland. We went there on a school trip in the late 1950's, and I went back many times as a young man.

Like you, I can almost remember each individual tile on the floor, and every scratch on the tables at the Isaly's on Washington Rd. in downtown Mt. Lebanon. Their vanilla fudge ice cream was the stuff dreams were made of. I used to go there every day after junior high school to flirt with the girls. Then I found Nick's poolroom in Dormont, and haven't been the same since.:D

This is for Clare, Billy, Terry Adeno, Cal, and me:

http://www.isalys.com/about-us/

Does that storefront picture bring back any memories?

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
Gilbert would play a little golf on the snooker table once & a while when he was Allen Gold. Early 60's if I remember right.
You're right, John. He very occasionally played a little golf at Tiff Payne's in N. Hyd in the late 60's.

I don't know if the pic in question is Cole or not. I just thought it would be fun if Billy were to owe me a million dollars.;)

Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
jrhendy said:
Looks a little like Rempe, but I believe it is Cole if you look close enough. The pic makes the hair darker.
It must be Cole because when I put the curser on his face it tells me "coledixon.jpg" and cursers don't lie. So it must be him. Maybe Billy will let me out of the bet.

wincardona said:
Yes I remember the Isaly's in Hazelwood when I was a kid, I would go there 3 or 4 times a week to eat their chipped ham sandwhiches, usually followed with their chocolate almond ice cream. My brother use to order vanilla, I always got the chocolate almond, no better icecream than Isaly's. There was an Isaly's in Squirell Hill and the big one on I think the blvd.? What was the name of the st. the big Isaly's was on? It's not fun gettin old.:(

gulfportdoc said:
You may be referring to the Isaly's factory and store on the Blvd. of the Allies, which I think was in Oakland. We went there on a school trip in the late 1950's, and I went back many times as a young man.

Like you, I can almost remember each individual tile on the floor, and every scratch on the tables at the Isaly's on Washington Rd. in downtown Mt. Lebanon. Their vanilla fudge ice cream was the stuff dreams were made of. I used to go there every day after junior high school to flirt with the girls. Then I found Nick's poolroom in Dormont, and haven't been the same since.

Doc

Billy, I believe Doc is right. The big one was in Oakland, with quite a few others scattered about. I loved their ice cream, too, but I especially loved their milk shakes. Thanks for the link to the website, Doc. Looks like they distribute the chipped ham all over now. Great memories ! I have a feeling that if we had a chipped ham sandwich today, it would just not taste like it did back in the day.

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
Cole

Cole

Matt_24 said:
I have a question about Cole Dixon.

I live in Alexandria, VA and the old timers said that Cole just fired every ball in and never worried about shape and that he hit everything 100 miles an hour...and rarely missed. Does that sound about right? Just curious..and they do describe his technique this with an air of reverance, not disdain.

Cole still plays the same style. All you have to do to verify is check out the One Pocket match (On Accu-Stats) he played against Rudolfo Luat at Derby City. He fired at least 2 straight backs about a hundred miles an hour that didn't even think about not going! Unfortunately a few more misses have crept into his game. Otherwise Cole would have beaten Luat rather easily.
Still...
He had a top 50 finish in One pocket
He also had a top 20 finish in 9 ball!

Very impressive given he doesn't compete regularly.

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Weatherman said:
Cole still plays the same style. All you have to do to verify is check out the One Pocket match (On Accu-Stats) he played against Rudolfo Luat at Derby City. He fired at least 2 straight backs about a hundred miles an hour that didn't even think about not going! Unfortunately a few more misses have crept into his game. Otherwise Cole would have beaten Luat rather easily.
Still...
He had a top 50 finish in One pocket
He also had a top 20 finish in 9 ball!

Very impressive given he doesn't compete regularly.

This has been posted in the past here, but if someone is reading Weatherman's description, it is helpful to visualize it more clearly with video:D

for those that cannot see the embedded video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiBM6JLcmK4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiBM6JLcmK4[/ame]

[youtube]HiBM6JLcmK4[/youtube]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
CaliRed said:
This has been posted in the past here, but if someone is reading Weatherman's description, it is helpful to visualize it more clearly with video:D

for those that cannot see the embedded video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiBM6JLcmK4

[youtube]HiBM6JLcmK4[/youtube]
nothing like hitting banks at pocket speed:rolleyes:
( the pocket on the third table down from where you are playing:D )

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:

Like you, I can almost remember each individual tile on the floor, and every scratch on the tables at the Isaly's on Washington Rd. in downtown Mt. Lebanon. Their vanilla fudge ice cream was the stuff dreams were made of. I used to go there every day after junior high school to flirt with the girls. Then I found Nick's poolroom in Dormont, and haven't been the same since.:D

Doc

Blvd. of the Allies. Yes thank you for remembering. At least I got the blvd. thing right.:eek:

Now back to Braums.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:
Too bad we couldn't see a close-up freeze frame of his face while he's down on a shot. That would help to settle all that arguing over the "Cole" picture...;)

Doc

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gulfportdoc said:
Too bad we couldn't see a close-up freeze frame of his face while he's down on a shot. That would help to settle all that arguing over the "Cole" picture...;)

Doc

hmmm... I could probably get that:D

colecomparison.jpg

Last edited:

gulfportdoc said:
Heh, heh. It ain't Cole. But I'd like to consult with my ID advisor. Whaddya think, Clare?

Doc

hmmm. Now this is getting tricky. It would help if I knew the approx. dates of each picture. The facial hair on the pic on the right is making it more difficult. One feature that is causing me to still say it's him: the lips.

Anyone know the dates of the pictures?

P.S. Could a reliable person possibly show him the pic and ask him if it's him?
But then again, based on my experience, you can only believe a pool player about 10% of the time. Maybe.

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
I'm in with Billy

I'm in with Billy

Clare said:
hmmm. Now this is getting tricky. It would help if I knew the approx. dates of each picture. The facial hair on the pic on the right is making it more difficult. One feature that is causing me to still say it's him: the lips.

But then again, based on my experience, you can only believe a pool player about 10% of the time. Maybe.

Unlike an undisclosed one pocket match (or should I say mismatch) in Louisville..

I'm in with Billy here.. I'm betting it IS Cole. No question.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
CaliRed said:
hmmm... I could probably get that:D

View attachment 1075

C-R,

I been seeing that you're one of them talented, mad-scientist like genius's with what you can do with computers! Congrats sir on your talent.

Over at AZB, they have a fella named Derek Disco who is another super-genius with photo-shop or however he does what he does.

It can now be said that you're 1P.Org's answer to AZB's D-D! I'd like to see you two match up. Each of you can show & tell us all about your best "pic list" and then you guys can offer "good natured" rebuttles of who pic'ed who and when. Questions like "Was the subject who was pictured at the top of his game when he was in fact pic'ed?" "Did you announce ahead of time, before you pic'ed whoever, that you were going to pic them or did you come dressed as a plumber instead?" Lot's of potential here for a spirited competition!

:D

Seriously Cali, good job on all the photo things you've been doing for us here!

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
"But then again, based on my experience, you can only believe a pool player about 10% of the time. Maybe."

Better watch it, Clare. You may have just touched a whole lot of nerves. We're told that ol' Honest Abe was a Brunswick owner, which explains how he learned to be a politician. Mark Twain had a table, also, and became a writer of fiction.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Clare said:

Since no one is willing to take $1,000,000 to $1.00 I will make another offer. And this one will be more realistic (not to say my last offer wasn't) I will be willing to wager my $500.00 against a favor (like a go get me a sandwhich type)with the first 5 people that would like to participate. By the way, i'm not saying that I should be put in the top 10% of pool players that tell the truth, but believe me i'm not lying.:confused:

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
You're good Billy!

You're good Billy!

wincardona said:
Since no one is willing to take $1,000,000 to $1.00 I will make another offer. And this one will be more realistic (not to say my last offer wasn't) I will be willing to wager my $500.00 against a favor (like a go get me a sandwhich type)with the first 5 people that would like to participate. By the way, i'm not saying that I should be put in the top 10% of pool players that tell the truth, but believe me i'm not lying.:confused:

I can shut my eyes and just imagine how it must have looked so many times before.....you laying all that brilliant thinking and analytical powers on some local-yokal, him with his hands in his pockets and a dumb, mouth slightly ajar, vacant look upon his unsuspecting face....:D

Bill, I'll repeat what I've espoused here so often. You're the smartest man in pool. Your confidence in the way you project your thoughts is pretty compelling. You could probably sell a glass of water to a drowning man and make him feel like he got a good deal! :D

I say that as a compliment. No wonder them fellas at Accu-Stats tell you "Now Billy....." :)