The Top Ten One-Pocket Players That You Meet In Heaven

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I only picked nine players. Hmmm. I want to add Greenleaf and Blankenship. I guess if I had to pick, I'd bump Schriver for the honor of meeting both of these guys. And my guess is, both of them enjoyed a bit of One Pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
I'll probably not get to either place to see him.
Rod.

Rod, that's too funny, lets hope your wrong, but I don't like your chances.

Still time to change your game plan.;)

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
I believe that I'd have to pick Harold Worst next at #3. The stories told about how good he played are amazing. It seems that he never missed a ball and beat everybody he played.

Dennis

I'm taking Bugs next at #4. I've heard so many stories from players in my area about the great banks that he made under pressure, for serious cash, that I'd like to see some of them. I'd also like to hear some of the great Chi-Town gambling stories straight from the horse's mouth.

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
8 and out in one pocket

8 and out in one pocket

Cowboy Dennis said:
I'm taking Bugs next at #4. I've heard so many stories from players in my area about the great banks that he made under pressure, for serious cash, that I'd like to see some of them. I'd also like to hear some of the great Chi-Town gambling stories straight from the horse's mouth.

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

Dennis

You can ask him or Joey Speith about when he banked 8 and out playing one pocket against Joey, leaving poor Joey in the one hole.
Joey liked it so much that when Bugs came down to Johnston City afterwards, Joey became his steerman and backer. I think Fats might have been his first bank victim.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
You can ask him or Joey Speith about when he banked 8 and out playing one pocket against Joey, leaving poor Joey in the one hole.
Joey liked it so much that when Bugs came down to Johnston City afterwards, Joey became his steerman and backer. I think Fats might have been his first bank victim.

I realize that this is only one bank but I would still ask him about it. It's game 1 of the match playing Daulton in 1992 at the Legends of One Pocket. The ball score is unimportant (I didn't pay attention to it). Bugs hits this 8 ball cross-corner at rocket, not pocket, speed, after a Daulton scratch and he makes it, naturally. How does anybody hit this ball full-speed with three balls on the spot? This shot alone is worth the price of the DVD.

Bugs.Jpeg

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
I realize that this is only one bank but I would still ask him about it. It's game 1 of the match playing Daulton in 1992 at the Legends of One Pocket. The ball score is unimportant (I didn't pay attention to it). Bugs hits this 8 ball cross-corner at rocket, not pocket, speed, after a Daulton scratch and he makes it, naturally. How does anybody hit this ball full-speed with three balls on the spot? This shot alone is worth the price of the DVD.

View attachment 1246

You have to make the 8 ball jump over the 1st ball or two on the spot. ;)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i've told this story before
bugs playing earl heisler at the sports palace $500 A GAME early 1970's.
bugs shoots a 4 railer earl has balls by his hole bugs shoots and leaves the q in the middle of the table (cause he knew he would make it ) and runs out,
OMG

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dennis, how did the 8 cross to the corner? To my eye the spotted balls are in the way. Did it cross in front of the 1st spotted ball?

BTW, there are several decent videos of Bugs playing Gary Spaeth and others on YouTube.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:

A lot of great player's, have come and gone...But NO ONE has ever beaten the Duck at Banks...

Eddie Taylor came closest. They played all night for $30,000 a game...The Duck was stuck $300,000...In the most amazing display of bank pool ever, the Duck banked 8 and out, 10 games in a row,and Eddie hit the rack. (Sadly, Eddie is gone now, but this story is verifiable by Jersey Red, Fats, and Johnny Ervaleno)

1. San Jose Duck

2. Minnesota Fats

3. Jack Breit

4. Harold Worst

5. Bugs

Dennis

So nice of you, to include me at the top of your list...X0X0....But, I ain't dead yet dummy ! ..:eek:
PS.. By the way, your 1 year pennance for "editing" others posts, is up, however, I am hereby imposing another year..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Routine

Routine

lll said:
i've told this story before
bugs playing earl heisler at the sports palace $500 A GAME early 1970's.
bugs shoots a 4 railer earl has balls by his hole bugs shoots and leaves the q in the middle of the table (cause he knew he would make it ) and runs out,
OMG

In case you dont think that he did that on a regular basis, dont bet, because he did. I was playing him in Cicero, IL and I had my pocket loaded up and he shot at a two railer, long rail first and just stopped the cue ball dead right in front of my pocket. He of course made it, and then I stopped the game, howling and cursing. He let me rant for a few minutes and then he came back to the table and ran out.

I heard from one of the guys (Troy) that was with Bugs down there, that Bugs ended up giving Earl 9 to 7.

Beard
In fairness, I watched Fats and Ronnie often do the same damn thing when they were playing each other in Johnston City.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
fred bentivegna said:
In case you dont think that he did that on a regular basis, dont bet, because he did. I was playing him in Cicero, IL and I had my pocket loaded up and he shot at a two railer, long rail first and just stopped the cue ball dead right in front of my pocket. He of course made it, and then I stopped the game, howling and cursing. He let me rant for a few minutes and then he came back to the table and ran out.

I heard from one of the guys (Troy) that was with Bugs down there, that Bugs ended up giving Earl 9 to 7.

Beard
In fairness, I watched Fats and Ronnie often do the same damn thing when they were playing each other in Johnston City.
it must be an amazing feeling to KNOW you will not miss and gamble on it.
all of us mortals have that feeling on less difficult shots but at a certain level of difficulty some cracks in the belief start to creep in and you play a two way shot ie leave safe if you miss or shoot something else
its the stuff of legends to shoot the shot fearlessly thats so far above the level where we mortals start to look for something else.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Dennis.....I don't know about meeting one pocket players that I never knew, and wanted to meet.....but for me, instead, the first two guys that come to mind that I will be looking to see up there, are guys I already know...

#1. Bugs - so I can say to him "What up homey?"....and to fill him in on what's been going on since he left.

#2. Mike Surber - to tell him how much everybody mourned and cared about what happened to him - and also, hopefully, to tell him that the mf'er that did it to him either got 'vigilante justice' from someone, or was caught and got sentenced to life in prison.
Thoughtful post, Ghost. Here are 4 guys who I always wondered what they'd be like: ~Doc

1. Alfredo DeOro
2. Ralph Greenleaf
3. Hayden Lingo
4. Harold Worst

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
I was still a high schooler in 69 thru 71 and definitely in awe of all the great players at leCue during that period especially since i had just started playing. I didn't get to be close friends with Jersey Red but I did talk to him on several occasions and it was never about pool. Rod and Dick and Grady probably remember he spent a lot of time at the snack bar goin over the baseball box scores and I spent a fair amount of time doing that also so I was in my comfort zone and it made me feel good that he took the time to discuss baseball with me... nice memories.

Skin

Verified Member
When I die, I may not go to heaven
I don't know if they let one-pocket players in
If the don't, then let me go to Texas, Boy!
Texas is a close as I've been.

New York couldn't hold my attention
Detroit City couldn't sing my song
If tomorrow finds me busted flat in Dallas
I won't care, 'cause at least I'll know I'm home.

Now, there. All we need is a line from Dick about Chicago and we have a theme song for this thread. :D

Texas Skinny

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Skin said:
When I die, I may not go to heaven
I don't know if they let one-pocket players in
If the don't, then let me go to Texas, Boy!
Texas is a close as I've been.

New York couldn't hold my attention
Detroit City couldn't sing my song
If tomorrow finds me busted flat in Dallas
I won't care, 'cause at least I'll know I'm home

Now, there. All we need is a line from Dick about Chicago and we have a theme song for this thread. :D

Texas Skinny

Amen, Skin man...Anyone whos never been to Texas, hasn't lived.

PS..I am no longer allowed to comment on Chicago...(without starting World War III)..:cool:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Amen, Skin man...Anyone whos never been to Texas, hasn't lived.

P, s, Chicago is my favorite town where all my old road buddies and friends live. for sure if you havent been to chicago and played 3 cushions or banks you havent lived:rolleyes: :
gee the duck is changing his feathers:rolleyes: :eek: :D :)
couldnt help it (jk)

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

Dennis

For my #5 I'm picking Ralph Greenleaf. The stories I've read about him and his exploits are legendary. I would ask him what it was like to be a household name as a poolplayer, and be respected by society as a result. I would also ask him if Mosconi was a jerk while they were on the road giving exhibitions. I've not ever heard too many tales about Mosconi that were flattering, except for his talents. I'd also ask Greenleaf what it was like winning titles on a 5x10 and now seeing mere shadows of himself winning titles on 41/2x9's.

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

5. Ralph Greenleaf

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
So nice of you, to include me at the top of your list...X0X0....:p :p :p

PS.. By the way, your 1 year pennance for "editing" others posts, is up...But, I am hereby imposing another year..:p

Dear Not Eligible Yet Breath,

You, being of semi-sound mind(a large leap) & body are not eligible for my list in this thread, but if you keep altering my posts you soon will be:eek: .

Deek

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
For my #5 I'm picking Ralph Greenleaf. The stories I've read about him and his exploits are legendary. I would ask him what it was like to be a household name as a poolplayer, and be respected by society as a result. I would also ask him if Mosconi was a jerk while they were on the road giving exhibitions. I've not ever heard too many tales about Mosconi that were flattering, except for his talents. I'd also ask Greenleaf what it was like winning titles on a 5x10 and now seeing mere shadows of himself winning titles on 41/2x9's.

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

5. Ralph Greenleaf

My number 6 is Marcel Camp. Fats talks about him in "The Bank Shot And Other Great Robberies". Fats says he bet his own and played great, I would have many questions for a man like that.

1. Minnesota Fats

2. Jack Breit

3. Harold Worst

4. Bugs

5. Ralph Greenleaf

6. Marcel Camp