Daulton/Deuel 2000 World One Pocket

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I think this is an interesting situation. Cory just banked a ball straight-back and it was just in front of and to the right of the 10 ball, now he can bank the 10 or shoot the 9. What would you do?

Deuel Daulton.jpg

Skin

Verified Member
I think I'd shoot the 9 and take my chances on the 10 afterwards.

A problem for me with all these greenshot layouts you are posting, Dennis, is that I am extremely intimidated playing these champions 8-8, usually from a tough starting position. :eek:

Skin

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Skin said:
I think I'd shoot the 9 and take my chances on the 10 afterwards.

A problem for me with all these greenshot layouts you are posting, Dennis, is that I am extremely intimidated playing these champions 8-8, usually from a tough starting position. :eek:

Skin
I agree..and then fight over the 10

Skin

Verified Member
MARK..HOU TX said:
I agree..and then fight over the 10

Mark, what do you think about drilling the 9 in and trying to come back up to knock the 10 off the rail and maybe manufacture an angle on it for a cut to "our" hole? Too 9b-ish? :)

Skin

Skin

Verified Member
lll said:
gee ,wee all agree on a shot :) .shoot the 9.:)
probably corey banked the 10:(

Agreeing with you proves to me that I have a great mind, Larry...or....well, something like that. :D

Skin

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Skin said:
Mark, what do you think about drilling the 9 in and trying to come back up to knock the 10 off the rail and maybe manufacture an angle on it for a cut to "our" hole? Too 9b-ish?

Skin
I think sometimes ya just crank up and bring it

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Skin said:
Agreeing with you proves to me that I have a great mind, Larry...or....well, something like that. :D

Skin
i agree with something like that:D
regarding drilling it in to knock the 10 of the rail is alittle 9ballish to me. id make the 9 and maybe play shape to 2 rail the 10 and stick the q on the end rail if i missed.
i think i could control the q better that way than if i one railed the 10 with the 10 being frozen.
your thoughts?? how would you play it if you didnt crank it in???

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I think you need to shoot the nine and get back to where you can bank the ten. If you bank the ten first you're going to have to fire it up to get back to a decent shot on the nine and who knows where the ten will wind up at. One of the worst things here that can happen is to double the points of your pocket and take the ten across table to his side.

By playing the nine first and then banking the ten you can put lag speed on the ten. Plus the make of the nine is high percentage to at least get you a shot to win the game.

mosconiac

Verified Member
I'd shoot the 9B with the speed to get to the upper right quadrant (as we face the table) where I can 2-rail the 10B & leave my opponent on the end rail versus playing shape on the left side & 1-railing the 10B.

EDIT: Here's an illustration.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I am definately playing the cut before the bank. The real question is what angle is ideal for the bank???

Do you try to leave yourself for a 1 rail bank or 2?

I would prefer to leave my cueball somewhere near the center of the table to play a 1 rail bank at speed and try to leave the rock on the rail.

Dudley

(aspiring Mr. Doright)

Deuel Daulton.jpg

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
While we are talking about it, I would definitely favor two-railing the ten ball, over one-railing. How about the rest of you? I don't mean from here - but after making the 9 ball.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
vapros said:
While we are talking about it, I would definitely favor two-railing the ten ball, over one-railing. How about the rest of you? I don't mean from here - but after making the 9 ball.

it lays good for a 2 rail shot and its impossible to leave the white bad. the only thing that could go wrong is if you miss the 10 so bad that you leave a cross bank, but it not hard to get the 10 ball close enough to your hole to eliminate that problem. I know guys that make that 2 rail shot 70% of the time or better, I certainly dont make it that often but I wouldnt sell out the cross bank.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
vapros said:
If the ten ball is real tight or frozen to the rail then I would prefer the two railer, if not, then I like the one rail. To shape the one rail is much easier. The two rail, if you get out of line slightly, may not give you the luxury to play the ball with pocket speed like the one rail will.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Frank Almanza said:
If the ten ball is real tight or frozen to the rail then I would prefer the two railer, if not, then I like the one rail. To shape the one rail is much easier. The two rail, if you get out of line slightly, may not give you the luxury to play the ball with pocket speed like the one rail will.
i
like the 2 railer 90% of the time, just because I can control the rock.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Those two-railers (short rail first) are heaven's gift to elderly one-pocket players who can't shoot straight. Pocket speed, hit 'em all on forty-five degrees and leave the stone against the curb. IYIYI ! :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:
Those two-railers (short rail first) are heaven's gift to elderly one-pocket players who can't shoot straight. Pocket speed, hit 'em all on forty-five degrees and leave the stone against the curb. IYIYI ! :D

Very true V-man...given the chioce of playing shape on a 2 railer, versus a one railer, I will take the 2 railer most of the time...(especially if its the last ball)...If you get good shape on it, it is usually much easier to play pocket speed, and freeze the rock on the rail. Young-uns (or 2000 mph Bank pool player's) may overlook that fact...:D

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
If I was in this position and had just banked a ball straight-back that was just about next to the 10 ball(cueball below the 9), I believe that I'd have to bank the 10 ball from here. Why play shapes on it twice? I realize that shooting the 9 & getting on the hill offers a good argument also. It took Corey quite a while to decide which to shoot. Of course, he wasn't exactly a one-pocket player either.

It all depends on the exact position of the 10 ball but I think I'd bank the 10 ball from here.

Cowboy "Alone Again, Naturally" Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
id make the 9 and maybe play shape to 2 rail the 10 and stick the q on the end rail if i missed.
i think i could control the q better that way than if i one railed the 10 with the 10 being frozen.
your thoughts?? how would you play it if you didnt crank it in???
^^^ post #8

to answer dennis since you havent directly tell us what corey did
the 9 looks a much higher shot to make than the bank. playing shape to 2 rail the 10 leaves a great shot with much risk/reward to your favor

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Fatboy said:
i
like the 2 railer 90% of the time, just because I can control the rock.
I also like the two railer better but I'm pretty much guaranteed to get good position for the one rail. The position for the two railer is a bit more difficult because of the travel distance for the q ball. If you over run the position for the two railer you will be taking the q ball to the wrong area.
In either case I'm still shooting the nine first because of the two shot position selection for the ten.