GreenShot Tutorial - Screen Capture Utility

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I'm such a idiot... but that's my problem:D I spend 2 hours making a powerpoint and then decide to make a video instead. Then to top that off, by the time I assemble all the parts, the damn thing is 32 mins long. I hope you can fire up a big cup of coffee and watch it all, so you can fill that big brain of yours with some GreenShot info:)

I'm not going to embed the videos in this post, simply because they are not as large as they are on youtube. There's 3 parts (missed out on making it 2 parts by 2 mins)

If you want to edit someone's screenshot, just right click on the original picture in their post, and choose Save Picture As or whatever it says, remember where you save it too, then right click on the GreenShot icon in your task tray at the bottom right of your screen and choose Open Image from file, point it to your image you saved and your ready to go to town.

Anyways, sorry for the length. I tend to want to cover everything when I get to yapping, for some of you that won't ever be able to discuss in depth the purpose of a .dll file with Bill Gates.

Get what you can out of it and let me know if you learned anything new from it.

BTW... great news for me, maybe not so much for you.... I am going to get to go to the DCC this year for the 1st time !!!! :)

Part 1. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVubDE1VfhA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVubDE1VfhA[/ame]

Part 2. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROWnzAJZwU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROWnzAJZwU[/ame]

Part 3. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_uXIfmvK8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_uXIfmvK8[/ame]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Steve please...

Steve please...

Make this a "sticky?" Is that what they call it? It's long and complicated, at least for me, so I need to be able to refer back to it at times.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
CaliRed said:
I'm such a idiot... but that's my problem:D I spend 2 hours making a powerpoint and then decide to make a video instead. Then to top that off, by the time I assemble all the parts, the damn thing is 32 mins long. I hope you can fire up a big cup of coffee and watch it all, so you can fill that big brain of yours with some GreenShot info:)

I'm not going to embed the videos in this post, simply because they are not as large as they are on youtube. There's 3 parts (missed out on making it 2 parts by 2 mins)

If you want to edit someone's screenshot, just right click on the original picture in their post, and choose Save Picture As or whatever it says, remember where you save it too, then right click on the GreenShot icon in your task tray at the bottom right of your screen and choose Open Image from file, point it to your image you saved and your ready to go to town.

Anyways, sorry for the length. I tend to want to cover everything when I get to yapping, for some of you that won't ever be able to discuss in depth the purpose of a .dll file with Bill Gates.

Get what you can out of it and let me know if you learned anything new from it.

BTW... great news for me, maybe not so much for you.... I am going to get to go to the DCC this year for the 1st time !!!! :)

Part 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVubDE1VfhA

Part 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ROWnzAJZwU

Part 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o_uXIfmvK8
This is great news & I look forward to meeting you. Now I need to watch this myself!

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
did anyone even use this tutorial?

I see I only have about 4 views on part II, one or 2 of them were probably my own.

I would have to say that little project was a bust.:(

maybe some feedback on what kind of tutorial would be of most use here

I thought something to watch would be the best, simply because you don't have to read anything, you see it happen in real time in a live demonstration.

Bad idea?

Who actually has this software installed? I know Dennis does, but does anyone else? vapros had issues, but that's specific to just his machine.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
greg i downloaded greenshop. dennis worked me thru a layout but of course i need a few more sessions of practice to get it down. i didnt see your thread when you first posted it:eek: so im glad it got bumped.
it does need to be a sticky so it will be easy to reference not just for us regulars but also easy for the new members.
i plan to watch the videos asap as i have time.
glad to hear you are going to the dcc:)
i/we appreciate your time and effort above and beyond the call of duty.
steve maybe we can give greg an award for being our cyber trouble shooter.
or cyber tush hog:eek: since he shows those computer problems whose the boss:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
CR, I now have Greenshot on my machine - somehow. The icon on my desktop is just for the installation, but the one on my task bar works, and I will try to make use of it. Your tutorials are all that is needed, and I will watch them all again today. Thanks for your good help. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:

I see I only have about 4 views on part II, one or 2 of them were probably my own.

I thought something to watch would be the best, simply because you don't have to read anything, you see it happen in real time in a live demonstration.

Bad idea?

Who actually has this software installed? I know Dennis does, but does anyone else? vapros had issues, but that's specific to just his machine.
Greg, it's definitely on my list to install the program, and then study your tutorial. I'll get around to it pretty soon. It was exceedingly nice of you to first alert us about the program, then to spend all that time in composing the turorial! After all, it's keeping Dennis off the streets, and providing us with entertainment-- all at the same time!!;)

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Greg, I watched all 3 episodes. Thanks for the trouble. It was very clear and concise. I picked up a few tips. I didn't download it as I don't seem to need it, but I was able to incorporate some of the info into what I use.:)
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

Bad idea?

Greg,

Your tutorial did not go to waste. It has helped my finely tuned and highly specialized computer knowledge and taken it to another level(just above mud). I would have figured it out by 2027 anyway but having you make the tutorial gives you something to do and makes you feel useful, so I am all for it.

P.S. In much the same fashion that other geniuses overlook small things like putting on their shoes before going out in the rain, I seem to have one minor problem: Is there a way to pause the DVD in my CinePlayer & Greenshot it without having the "play,>" arrow in the center of the screen? Do I always have to save it to "pictures" first and then Greenshot it? Not a big problem but I am also working on a completely new graviton theory and this extra time is going to waste.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cowboy "Computer Genius" Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
I seem to have one minor problem: Is there a way to pause the DVD in my CinePlayer & Greenshot it without having the "play,>" arrow in the center of the screen? Do I always have to save it to "pictures" first and then Greenshot it? Not a big problem but I am also working on a completely new graviton theory and this extra time is going to waste.

Thanks for all of your help.

Cowboy "Computer Genius" Dennis

hmmmm... so what you are saying is, you are playing the dvd, then pausing it and taking a screen capture of it in the pause mode, while in that pause mode, it displays a > on the screen, which infuriates you and you wish to become uninfuriated? Right?

OK.... well, I could have sworn that we had a late night discussion one night, where you had been "learned":D how to capture a screenshot with your Roxio player. Now I imagine that screenshot wouldn't have a > on it, but it sounds like you trashed that method and are now using the greenshot to capture it? The other way, you capture the screenshot with Roxio and it saves it in a folder somewhere, then you use greeenshot to open image from file and edit it.

Let me know if that helps at all.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
thanks for you guys that already have or will watch it. if something is a big dud, I like to know what I did or didn't do to make it a dud.. I like to watch movies or fiddledick around with other stuff and would rather not waste hours doing something if no one will end up watching.

Now if I would have done that at work, then that would have been a different story:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
ColoRed said:
hmm... so what you are saying is, you are playing the dvd, then pausing it and taking a screen capture of it in the pause mode, while in that pause mode, it displays a > on the screen, which infuriates you and you wish to become infuriated? Right?

OK.... well, I could have sworn that we had a late night discussion one night, where you had been "learned":D how to capture a screenshot with your Roxio player. Now I imagine that screenshot wouldn't have a > on it, but it sounds like you trashed that method and are now using the greenshot to capture it? The other way, you capture the screenshot with Roxio and it saves it in a folder somewhere, then you use greenshot to open image from file and edit it.

Let me know if that helps at all.
Greg,

I do use the method that you taught me, and you are correct, that method doesn't have a > on it. I use Roxio to capture the pic and then I Greenshot that pic. No problems at all, I was just wondering if Greenshot could save the pic and skip a step, that's all. I guess not. Thanks for all of your help Greg.

P.S. The tutorial explained several things that I was unaware of and it was very helpful. Changing line colors and deleting objects was a big help. Now I am un-infuriated

P.S.S. "Late night discussions" are sometimes clouded by excessive consumption of Miller Lite and/or Jameson but this is one lesson that took:) .

P.S.S.S. Now you have to tell me how you got your username to be ColoRed in the post of yours that I quoted.:confused: I know that I didn't do it.

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Fast Lenny said:
What does greenshot do that I cannot do say using Paint? Interested in seeing benefits of it. Thanks.

well, most importantly, it can take a screenshot, let's see Paint do THAT:D

Greenshot was recommended by me, as a great little tool to take screenshots, plus after you took the screenshot, you could do a lot of stuff in the editor. I've used a lot of screenshot tools and image editors over the last 20 years, and this small little app, impressed me in it's ease of use, it's small size ( it can be ran without a install and is only about 4 files which is about 200 kb) and coolest of all, had a lot of tools that were easy to use and powerful. It seemed like it was the perfect tool for editing tables, not the only tool, but a perfect one:)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
P.S.S.S. Now you have to tell me how you got your username to be ColoRed in the post of yours that I quoted.:confused: I know that I didn't do it.

Dennis

Are you messing with me? The only way it could get changed IS by you.:confused:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
Are you messing with me? The only way it could get changed IS by you.:confused:
No I am not messing with you. As soon as I posted that post the other day I saw it and went back and edited in my question. I figured that somehow, you made it happen. I've only faked two quotes and they were both from the Duck.

Dennis

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
CaliRed said:
well, most importantly, it can take a screenshot, let's see Paint do THAT:D

Greenshot was recommended by me, as a great little tool to take screenshots, plus after you took the screenshot, you could do a lot of stuff in the editor. I've used a lot of screenshot tools and image editors over the last 20 years, and this small little app, impressed me in it's ease of use, it's small size ( it can be ran without a install and is only about 4 files which is about 200 kb) and coolest of all, had a lot of tools that were easy to use and powerful. It seemed like it was the perfect tool for editing tables, not the only tool, but a perfect one:)

I just press Fn and Print Screen and then paste it in the Paint program and do whatever I like with it, works good for me. :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Fast Lenny said:
I just press Fn and Print Screen and then paste it in the Paint program and do whatever I like with it, works good for me. :)
I had tried Paint a few times myself, and could do it, as long as I opened Paint before I took the screenshot. But it does seem a lot easier with this new greenshot thing -- as far as saving as a jpeg, cropping, adding arrows and text, etc.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Fast Lenny said:

hmmm... a tough customer , eh?

Ok, lets see you do this with paint.. in 1 keystroke and 1 mouse click, lets see you copy this smilie :)

greenshot - hit PrtScr (since it's mapped to capture a region) you now have the cross hairs... left click and drag around the smilie, let up on your mouse.. BOOM !!! your have your exact image you wanted to capture and it's already open in the editing window.

My honest feelings of MS Paint, going all the way back to the WIndows 3.1 days? IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE !!!!

All thru, 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, they never did anything to that program, only in Windows 7 did they overhaul it.

Hey, but your a Paint man, I'm a Greenshot man...

JOIN THE REVOLUTION !!! FREE THE MIND FROM IT"S OPPRESSION!! LIBERATE YOUR KEYBOARD AND MOUSE !

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
CaliRed said:
hmmm... a tough customer , eh?

Ok, lets see you do this with paint.. in 1 keystroke and 1 mouse click, lets see you copy this smilie :)

greenshot - hit PrtScr (since it's mapped to capture a region) you now have the cross hairs... left click and drag around the smilie, let up on your mouse.. BOOM !!! your have your exact image you wanted to capture and it's already open in the editing window.

My honest feelings of MS Paint, going all the way back to the WIndows 3.1 days? IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE !!!!

All thru, 98/2000/ME/XP/Vista, they never did anything to that program, only in Windows 7 did they overhaul it.

Hey, but your a Paint man, I'm a Greenshot man...

JOIN THE REVOLUTION !!! FREE THE MIND FROM IT"S OPPRESSION!! LIBERATE YOUR KEYBOARD AND MOUSE !

I am just interested in seeing the differences in them. I am open to trying new programs as long as it has enough benefits over the programs I already have. :)