When Is There A Kiss??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Vapros brought up the question of whether the kiss was on in the thread
what shot is correct http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4471

"the rule of thumb is that when the CB and the 6 are in line with a corner pocket (as they are) a kiss is quite likely if you try to bank - either one or three rails. Or two rails, for that matter. Just a fact of life. This doesn't mean you can't escape the kiss, just that you can't ignore it."(vapros. p.s. i agree)

i mentioned freddy talked about if the line of balls were in line to the facing vs the back of the pocket as best i recalled it
that discussion was over a cross corner bank as vapros astutely stated.

i dont think the kiss on the straight back bank of the 6 is close to being a kiss but the 2 the 3 railer might be

to all of you out there whats your way of trying to tell if there is a kiss

would hope at least grady and freddy would repond. this info would be worth the price of joining onepocket.org(jk)
really this would be priceless

freddy if you get any snide remarks from you know who as you sometimes affectionately call him i will personally do my beat to whip him 50 times with a wet noodle for punishment:D

SUPERSTAR

For short single rail banks, if you can't shoot the cueball past the object ball into the hole, there is a kiss.
Like for instance, on cross corner banks, if you hit that shot center ball or worse yet, with inside english, you will most likely smash into the object ball again when you double kiss it.
You have to hit is with outside english and pull the cueball away, and the greater the distance from the object ball to the rail you have, the easier this is done.

Now for 3 rail banks, honestly, i don't if there is a set formula for telling if there is a kiss or not. I still use the straight in the hole theory.
I just know from experience that stun semi-draw with loads of sauce, pulls the cueball out of the way when the balls are sort of straight in as in the shot depicted.

I know i used to watch Joyner practice all sorts of off angle multiple rail shots, some where the cueball and the object ball were frozen on the same side of the table. Practicing 3 rails and 5 rails around, and 3 rail length of table up and downs shots, all with controlling the cueball in mind.
He would just get up there and blast at them.

Didn't know what the heck he was doing, till i watched a match of his in town where he was kind of stuck, and he whipped out one of these shots and reversed the game.
That was proof enough for me.

So i went and started practicing all sorts of goofy multiple rail shots, just to see.
And as a result of that, i kind of know what to expect from certain shots.
Where i honestly think, others might not because they have never taken the time to practice them.

A lot of people i talked to were weary of the 3rail shot, but admittedly, they wouldn't take it because they DON'T KNOW what to expect. So the shot for all intensive purposes is alien to them.

Easiest way to master it is to get out there and practice it.
Set if up and do it over and over and over again till you know what the outcome is and what mistakes can be made so that you have a better chance of avoiding them.

Then it's a no brainer and you "SEE" if it's on or not.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
superstar thanks for your comments.
cowboy dennis is really a good guy once you get to know him:) :D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I took a few minutes worth of swipes at this kind of three-railer today. I found when the cue and object ball were kind of lined up toward the upper corner, it was not a kiss when I drew the cue ball just enough to avoid scratching in the other upper corner -- either with straight draw or inside draw. Outside english tended the throw the object dangerously long.

With the object ball closer to the cushion than the previous straight line, I got a whole lot more kisses.

SUPERSTAR

I still don't know if there is a system to determine 3 rail kiss shots, but i went to the pool hall last night and set up the 3 railer shown in the other thread and shot it 20 times, all with semi stun/draw with lots of inside.

Made the 3 railer 5 times out of 20, double kissed once, and aside from the kiss shot, all other shots ended up with the object ball near the hole with me in a very solid position with whitey uptable.

Good percentage shot if you ask me.