Bustamante vs. Gabe Owen 2008 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Busty is up 1-0 in games and there's no score in this game. It's Owen's shot and he has the lower left-hand pocket, as you view the screen. What would you do?

Gabes Shot.Jpeg

Skin

Verified Member
What you do here is go very thin off the 15 (?) and come come up off the rail to leave him frozen on that red stripe sitting off middle diamond on the short rail. Anything else is potential suicide.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Bustamante vs. Gabe Owen 2008 D.C.C. - OnePocket.jpg

This is what I would do. By the way, when I try to exit this site I am finding a delay of 6 or 7 seconds before exiting. Anybody else?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Cowboy Dennis said:
Busty is up 1-0 in games and there's no score in this game. It's Owen's shot and he has the lower left-hand pocket, as you view the screen. What would you do?
I can't tell if this shot is on. If so, he can drift the CB ahead a little. This reverses the trap. ~Doc
Bustamante vs. Gabe Owen 2008 D.C.C. - OnePocket.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Try to lock the CB down.:)
Rod.
i first saw a similar shot (rods)but following the q to the long rail and trying to snooker on the pink stripe
rods shot is better (of course) since your odds of getting safe is %1000 higher and still moving balls away from his pocket

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 1663

Excuse me Mr. Dennis the Cowboy...but I wish you had shown the whole table :rolleyes:...because it looks to me that I can 2-rail the 2ball dead-ahead into my hole, stopping the cueball for cut-shot shape on the striped ball..:cool:..and if I miss the 2-railer it will be in front of my pocket and he will have to deal with it, because he has no viable/makeable shot out of the cluster of balls in front of him.

- Ghosty

Skin

Verified Member
I stand in awe of anybody who can come out firing in their first inning and send three or more balls in motion around the other guy's hole...and get away with it. I have learned the lesson that, that is a foolish strategy for me. I understand you have to turn the break around if you can, and that means being aggressive, but darned if most of the times I have tried the super aggressive shots they didn't turn his position advantage into an actual balls-in-the-hole advantage. If he doesn't have a shot from a cb position on one of the rails near his hole like in this layout, I am laying claim to that territory until he gives up something better or forces me someplace else.

[Dinker] Skin < thinks games are won and lost on the first inning shot

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Excuse me Mr. Dennis the Cowboy...but I wish you had shown the whole table :rolleyes:...because it looks to me that I can 2-rail the 2ball dead-ahead into my hole, stopping the cueball for cut-shot shape on the striped ball..:cool:..and if I miss the 2-railer it will be in front of my pocket and he will have to deal with it, because he has no viable/makeable shot out of the cluster of balls in front of him.

- Ghosty
Yeah, that's a good shot Ghosty:p .

Mr. D the C

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
I stand in awe of anybody who can come out firing in their first inning and send three or more balls in motion around the other guy's hole...and get away with it. I have learned the lesson that, that is a foolish strategy for me. I understand you have to turn the break around if you can, and that means being aggressive, but darned if most of the times I have tried the super aggressive shots they didn't turn his position advantage into an actual balls-in-the-hole advantage. If he doesn't have a shot from a cb position on one of the rails near his hole like in this layout, I am laying claim to that territory until he gives up something better or forces me someplace else.

Skin,

Is there something that makes you think this is Gabes first shot? For the record, it's his third shot.

P.S. Co-commentator Mr. El Beardo correctly called this safety & Gabe then executed it to perfection:) .

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
Games CAN be won & lost on the first shot but most often they are not. I always look for a way to turn the game around from my first shot on. 30 years ago I would be playing guys who would rob me at 9ball but two or three shots after the break in one-pocket I'd have everything on my side and in front of my pocket.

D the C

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

Is there something that makes you think this is Gabes first shot? For the record, it's his third shot.

No, just saying in general and thinking about a recent thread where some folks were proposing shots like that. A couple of the shots above reminded me of that. I say more power to a guy who can pull it off - I don't get away with it often enough to try it unless as a last resort.

P.S. Co-commentator Mr. El Beardo correctly called this safety & Gabe then executed it to perfection:) .

What safety?

Skin......

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I also found myself eying the ball at the top of the stack (11?), knocking something over to my side and leaving the cue ball on top of the stack. BTW, I would not like this if I didn't feel confident about leaving an object ball somewhere near my pocket, and I also would not like it if it meant I would leave a clean bank on the 12-ball (if that is the loose ball just to the left of the stack).

Attachments

• Greenshot_2010-11-13_10-09-46.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-11-13_10-09-46.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghosty

You better hope you don't make the 2 ball. You ain't sawing at that stripe unless you're playing funsies.:D :p
Rod.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Yeah, that's a good shot Ghosty:p .

Mr. D the C

Yeah, it might be...you still didn't post the rest of the table, so that I/all of us can see the angle from the 2ball to the corner...:cool:

androd said:
You better hope you don't make the 2 ball. You ain't sawing at that stripe unless you're playing funsies.:D :p
Rod.

Don't forget, Gabe Owen is shooting here, not me...you think he wouldn't chop that striped ball in?....after all, that's the exact same kind of shot that straight pool players shoot all the time to break up the next rack...:cool:

- Ghosty

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Don't forget, Gabe Owen is shooting here, not me...you think he wouldn't chop that striped ball in?....after all, that's the exact same kind of shot that straight pool players shoot all the time to break up the next rack...:cool:
- Ghosty

The original question from Dennis was "What would you do" :rolleyes:
I've played Gabe and he's fairly conservative.
Rod.
PS, Of course when you've a easy game, no reason to take a chance.:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
androd said:
The original question from Dennis was "What would you do" :rolleyes:
I've played Gabe and he's fairly conservative.
Rod.
PS, Of course when you've a easy game, no reason to take a chance.:D

Hey Mark!....Rod just called you a fish...:D

- Ghosty

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah, it might be...you still didn't post the rest of the table, so that I/all of us can see the angle from the 2ball to the corner.

- Ghosty
Mr. Ghosty,

If there was another view of the table I would have posted it, as is my habit. There ain't another view.

P.S. Plus I am still at work for 3 1/2 more hours.

Mr. D the C