help me settle a bet

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
I say in the movie "A big hand for the little lady" the final hand was never shown to the AUDIENCE. Right or wring. Need 5 replies.

Don Smith

Verified Member
blackee,

I don't think they showed the hand.

The technical director(uncredited, it was his first film and he did not know the movie business yet) for that film tells a great pool room story. He was born in 1923 and hung out at Taberski's pool hall in New York and many others.

Here is his story:
Late one night Mexican Pete calls up Tony(Future "Big Hand for the Little Lady" technical director) and says to hurry down to the pool hall and bring a thousand dollars to back Pete against a real sucker.Tony replied, "I'll be there as soon as I put my pants on and get my .357 magnum." Pete said, "What do you need the .357 magnum for? Tony, fearing the dump, said, "because if you lose I am going to kill you." Pete replies "f*ck it, nevermind." This incident happened in the 1940's in LA.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
blackeee said:
I say in the movie "A big hand for the little lady" the final hand was never shown to the AUDIENCE. Right or wring. Need 5 replies.
Saw it about 2 weeks ago ..I do not think the final hand was revealed

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Since it was all a con, and as I remember she had some cards to show. I'd imagine the hand would be there.;) I don't remember it being shown, but it's been a long time since I watched it.
Rod.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
androd said:
Since it was all a con, and as I remember she had some cards to show. I'd imagine the hand would be there.;) I don't remember it being shown, but it's been a long time since I watched it.
Rod.

She didn't show her hand because after the banker offerd to loan her money on they folded. The banker was in on the sting. C'mon, I know lots of you guys had to have seen this movie.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
blackeee said:

They never showed the hand.

Remember, everyone folded after the banker put the money up.

One of the players wanted to see it but all the others said NO she didn't have to show it to anybody.

So the players never saw it and the audience never saw it.

She had a Jack high.

Don Smith

Verified Member
"Big Hand for the Little Lady" connection to pool, actually the game of bank.

"Big Hand for the Little Lady" connection to pool, actually the game of bank.

The technical director for the movie also played "Steamboat" in the movie's final scene. He was also Karl Malden's muscle in the "Sting II" pool table scene.
I THINK that scene was a bet about who could make the most banks out of five trys.

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
Hi

Hi

The Movie was great Henry Fonda & Joann Woodward !

No they never showed the hand !! One of the players wanted to see the hand , but actor Kevin Mccarthy stopped him from looking I believe .

Phil G

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
philip guagliardo said:
The Movie was great Henry Fonda & Joann Woodward !

No they never showed the hand !! One of the players wanted to see the hand , but actor Kevin Mccarthy stopped him from looking I believe .

Phil G
Thanks Phil. Your reputation precedes you.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
blackeee said:
Thanks Phil. Your reputation precedes you.
It was alla bluff and the bnker put up the money too lock up the bluff. What bank would give you money unless you have a sure thing? It was laid down good.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Artie Bodendorfer said:
It was alla bluff and the bnker put up the money too lock up the bluff. What bank would give you money unless you have a sure thing? It was laid down good.

Yeah Artie, it was laid down good. That's why the hand wasn't shown. It would have ruined the movie. My victim rented the movie. Wish I could see the look on his face when it's over!;)