Reyes vs. Varner 1999 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Efren's down 2 games to 1 and he's about to bank the 5 ball cross-corner. He's up 4-0 in balls. The two commentators disagreed on where he might try to place the cueball on the bank for his next shot. Any ideas? Where would you try to get, and how? These were the two options mentioned.

Stay for the 3 ball next:

Efrens Choice 1.jpg

Go up the rail for the 11 ball:

Efrens Choice 2.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Efren's down 2 games to 1 and he's about to bank the 5 ball cross-corner. He's up 4-0 in balls. The two commentators disagreed on where he might try to place the cueball on the bank for his next shot. Any ideas? Where would you try to get, and how? These were the two options mentioned.

View attachment 1782

View attachment 1783
I don't remember if I did the commentary on this match or not, but here's what I would do. Leading 4 to 0 in the ball count may be a little deceiving in this situation, based on where the balls are positioned and his opponent. Playing an upper echelon player a 4 to 0 lead is not a large lead, especially if the balls are in play, which they are in this situation. If I were he I would base my opinion on the angle that I had on the bank, and not so much on the lead. If the angle was natural to play for the 11 ball, and was somewhat clumsy to hold it for the 3 ball I would opt to play for the 11 ball. On the other hand if the players were less skilled I then would put more credence in the 4 to 0 lead and sinch the bank and play from there.

Billy I.

mosconiac

Verified Member
I'm changing my answer because it appears the 8/10 is dead. I'd go up table for the 11 in that case.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
I don't remember if I did the commentary on this match or not, but here's what I would do.

If the angle was natural to play for the 11 ball, and was somewhat clumsy to hold it for the 3 ball I would opt to play for the 11 ball.
Billy I.
Bill,

You did co-commentate the match. You also said then that you liked the position for the 11 ball, given that it's difficult to tell from the booth exactly the angles & distances involved. I know how hard it is to see the table well from the booth as many commentators oft times give strange commentary as to what to shoot.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
mosconiac said:
I'm changing my answer because it appears the 8/10 is dead. I'd go up table for the 11 in that case.
mosconiac,

You could get on the 8-10 easily after shooting the 3, if you stayed low for it.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i guess this wasnt an issue but id be concerned about the double kiss if i came up table for the 11.
doesnt look like the the q can get past the object ball to the pocket which indicates a kiss
so id play for the 3

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I would bank the 5 into or off of the 7 and spin my rock behind the 10.

I can't quite tell from the angle of the camera if you can play the 5 into a combo or play to carom off the 7 but I would definately play to spin the cue to the backside of the 10.

This way there is less risk and a tougher spot to reply from.

Dud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
i guess this wasnt an issue but id be concerned about the double kiss if i came up table for the 11.
doesnt look like the the q can get past the object ball to the pocket which indicates a kiss
so id play for the 3
lll,

It(double-kiss) didn't seem to be an issue as neither commentator mentioned the possibility at all.

By the way, if it's not a double-kiss to get on the 3 then it's not a double-kiss to get on the 11.

Cowboy "zen master D" Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dudley said:
I would bank the 5 into or off of the 7 and spin my rock behind the 10.

I can't quite tell from the angle of the camera if you can play the 5 into a combo or play to carom off the 7 but I would definately play to spin the cue to the backside of the 10.

This way there is less risk and a tougher spot to reply from.

Dud
Dudley,

Efren cleanly banked the 5 ball cross-corner, the question is where would you try to put the rock & how would you put it there, after pocketing the 5 ball?

Dennis

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dudley,

Efren cleanly banked the 5 ball cross-corner, the question is where would you try to put the rock & how would you put it there, after pocketing the 5 ball?

Dennis

I wish I had a side view so I could judge the angle of the bank better.

Ideally I would spin with right and try to bump into the back of the 10.

Dud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dudley said:
I wish I had a side view so I could judge the angle of the bank better.

Ideally I would spin with right and try to bump into the back of the 10.

Dud
Dudley,

He crossed the 5 with the cueball on the shot as I've shown in my two pics. The 10 ball is next to the 8 ball, that's the 12 ball near Varners pocket.

Dennis

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Cowboy Dennis said:
Dudley,

He crossed the 5 with the cueball on the shot as I've shown in my two pics. The 10 ball is next to the 8 ball, that's the 12 ball near Varners pocket.

Dennis

thanks Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
lll,

It(double-kiss) didn't seem to be an issue as neither commentator mentioned the possibility at all.

By the way, if it's not a double-kiss to get on the 3 then it's not a double-kiss to get on the 11.

Cowboy "zen master D" Dennis
although a moot point since it did not seem to be an issue
with all due respect zen master
distance from the q to the short rail would beat any kiss going to get shape on the 3
not true going up table
thats how my 57 year old eyes see it
icbw
im just a grasshopper:D

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
My Shot And Efrins Shot

My Shot And Efrins Shot

If i was playing with a 4-0 lead i would knock the 10 ball 2 rails to my side and stop the cue ball right there. If I was Efrin I would bank the 5 ball and run the cue ball into the 10 ball moving it up the side rail a few inches. Then i would shoot the 7 ball basically straight in and the bank the 10 ball that I just smartly REPOSITIONED for this bank.
Im really looking foward to meeting alot of you guys at the Derby in January. Sappo

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:

These were the two options mentioned by the commentators but Efren being Efren thought of a third option: he drew the cueball into the 3 ball to slow it down as he banked the 5 ball.

This shot excited Billy I. to no end and he said "he created that shot with his imagination".

Efrens Great Idea.jpg

Efrens Leave.Jpeg