How often does this happen to you?

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I finally get someone to play onepocket today. I'm playing some races to two with the guy. I get ahead in game 1 and end up selling out and lose. Now I got to win the next game.

The guy makes a ball on his break and runs about 4. I make a mistake and next thing I know I'm behind 7-0. I take a few risky shots to try and turn it around and don't give up. 45 mins later I come up with the win. Final ball took about 20 mins. Felt damn good too:) I end up winning the next game, up one set. I lose the first game again and then come from behind to win the next 2 to win the 2nd set.

So, how often does anyone ever win from being behind 7-0? I imagine with good players it's quite rare, especially when most of the balls are uptable.

Anyways...I was kinda stoked about the whole thing, since I hardly ever get to play onepocket with anyone.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
CaliRed said:
I finally get someone to play onepocket today. I'm playing some races to two with the guy. I get ahead in game 1 and end up selling out and lose. Now I got to win the next game.

The guy makes a ball on his break and runs about 4. I make a mistake and next thing I know I'm behind 7-0. I take a few risky shots to try and turn it around and don't give up. 45 mins later I come up with the win. Final ball took about 20 mins. Felt damn good too:) I end up winning the next game, up one set. I lose the first game again and then come from behind to win the next 2 to win the 2nd set.

So, how often does anyone ever win from being behind 7-0? I imagine with good players it's quite rare, especially when most of the balls are uptable.

Anyways...I was kinda stoked about the whole thing, since I hardly ever get to play onepocket with anyone.
Great win regardless of the speed of the players, but imo the better the players the easier it is to come from behind. You really must of grinded your way back? If you did it's easy to understand how gratifying it must of been for you.

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
It happens very often in one pocket, that's the beauty of our game, but not so much when the balls are up table. Nice job of grinding on that one game, coming from behind to win. That kind of win usually will knock the wind out of their sails for a while.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've been on both sides of that one Greg -- but winning one of those sure does feel great.

Sometimes, you can jump out with a lead early, but you just can;t seem to get the balls out of play, and next thing you know, your opponent is back in the game. I hear an expression now and then "running one too many balls" -- meaning you get that one more ball, but you don't leave yourself in such an advantageous position to continue to control the game, and it comes back to bite you.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Frank Almanza said:
It happens very often in one pocket, that's the beauty of our game, but not so much when the balls are up table. Nice job of grinding on that one game, coming from behind to win. That kind of win usually will knock the wind out of their sails for a while.

Very true Frank. As I'm sure you've noticed, one of the biggest factors at winning games, where you are way behind on balls, is often easier said than done... It has always been, one of the first things I first notice, when assessing a player's skill level...Even if you are not a world beater...you had better learn that part of the game ASAP.

It is a rare thing to see a high level player overcome a 6 or 7 ball deficit, against another good player...The better players always look for a way to either keep the balls in play (when they are behind) or, try to leave you where you have no option but to help them, ship them uptable, when they are way ahead.

In order to prevail, you must gamble a little. What may look like a "flyer", may be your last chance to turn the tables. Recognize that and know, that they will often carry some measure of risk...But if you are going to mount a comeback (from down 7-0 or 6-1) you really need to focus on finding, (or creating) that potential "game changer".

Trying to Pick them off, one at a time, will rarely get you a winner. (unless you are playing Dennis' buddy, Quad).;)

Sounds like Greg may be learning that all-important aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
That's a great job, Greg! Hanging in there and staying within yourself when down like that is called heart. Heart is a very big deal, imo.

The week before last I got into a game with a guy (using that infernal measles ball) and kept putting myslef in the hole with pocket scratches. But one game I was able to come back from 6 to minus 2 because I was able to keep the balls moved away from his hole so he was only able to get one on my scratches. He was getting the rest of his balls on banks. He was keeping me locked me down most of the time, too. But on one move, he left me the opportunity to get a ball to the jaws of my pocket and lock him up bad. That turned the game around and he could not hold up on defense, so I was able to get him. I felt great about that game even though I lost overall (I did return last Saturday with my blue circle cb for another game and got him 8-2, 8-1 out of the chute, and he quit on me).

The longer it goes, the more it favors the guy with heart - all else being equal. That was the secret to my success before I laid off because I was not a fast starter usually and still am not.

Skin

Deeman

Verified Member
The essence of this game, really. As Dick said, You have to often take a calculated risk but when you pullet off, it can change the entire mood of the match. Here the player who can see the entire table and balance risk and reward is rewarded more often than chance would suggest.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:

Good for you Greg, it shows determination & grit to win a game when you were down 7-0. Many slow-starters know the feeling well of having to come from behind constantly. It builds character if not bankrolls:eek: .

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
CaliRed said:
Short story for you Greg: At Lomako's R.A.C. 7 or 8 years ago I was playing a guy called "Porky", I think his name is Norm Wines. A straight shooter and better player than me but he didn't play one-pocket all that much. We were playing even. He had me down 7-0 and I didn't give up either. Soon I needed the last ball on the table to win. About that time a player(Mark) walks in and starts watching us. After a short time I made the game ball. Porky looks at Mark and says "I only needed one ball and he needed all eight and I lost". Mark replied deadpan: "Sweet ain't it?". That's the way it goes sometimes if you hang around till the end:) .

Dennis

Last edited:

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Cali a few years ago when I started playing 1p I would be down 6-0 7-1and and think negatively and then I had a game turn around where opponent scratched and I remember thinking of it like some football games I've seen big momentum shifts..so now I think pos and scratch and claw as best I can till the fat lady sings ..sometimes when you get mojo in gear your opponent might tighten up a bit