Another 'Go For It Or Not' Shot Choice

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I was in this situation this past weekend...I'll post later what I did...

I have pocket A, and I need both balls - my opponent needs one...

I can cinch the 1 ball to get on the hill, while trying to also get position for a tough straight back, or 2-railer on the 7 next....or I can shoot the backwards cut on the 7ball - if I make it I win - but if I miss it, I could leave some kind of cross-corner for my opponent, or let him clear out both balls from my pocket...

Which choice would you guys choose?

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaLU1GXuj1PXPH3QcIr@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Cutting the 7 is a good shot for me. That's what I'm doing and leaving the cb on about the first diamond above the side pocket on my long rail.

Skin

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
making the 1 and fighting for the last ball probably makes most sense, but the 7 ball is a slightly backwards cut, but since it's so close to the rail and the cueball in not far away, one could load up some low left and cut it to your pocket and still leave the cueball near or on the head rail, which puts 2 balls near your pocket and him a loooong way away, hopefully not leaving him a easy shot to move both away.

but since these type of layouts are never what they seem, did you kick the 7 and try and leave the cueball on the head rail, for better control?

Skin

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
but since these type of layouts are never what they seem, did you kick the 7 and try and leave the cueball on the head rail, for better control?

It's a good possibility since it wasn't one of the two options for us to choose from. Either that or he will move the balls after everybody cuts the 7. :eek:

Skin :D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
making the 1 and fighting for the last ball probably makes most sense, but the 7 ball is a slightly backwards cut, but since it's so close to the rail and the cueball in not far away, one could load up some low left and cut it to your pocket and still leave the cueball near or on the head rail, which puts 2 balls near your pocket and him a loooong way away, hopefully not leaving him a easy shot to move both away.

No, nothing fancy - I was just talking about these two shots...although 2-railing the 7ball up and down, or three-railing the 7ball at the 1ball are other pretty good options.

- Ghost

Last edited:

timdog24

Verified Member
I think I would have to take into consideration what I'm betting, the tightness of the table, how good my opponent plays, and if I'm in dog mode or playing well. But, I'd probably shoot the 7. Like Cali said, you're close to the 7 and can load it up with left and hit it pretty accurately. If you get the 7 near your hole I don't see my opponent banking at the 1 when it isn't free.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
One Pocket Ghost said:

I can cinch the 1 ball to get on the hill, while trying to also get position for a tough straight back, or 2-railer on the 7 next....or I can shoot the backwards cut on the 7ball - if I make it I win - but if I miss it, I could leave some kind of cross-corner for my opponent, allowing him to get out...

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaLU1GXuj1PXXH3QcIr@[/CUETABLE]

If you cinch the one the only shot you will have that I see is banking the 7 across on your side. If I had your ability I would come cross table on the 1 and play for a straight back on the 7. Matter of fact, I would do it wisth my ability. Hittin it with hi-left makes it a little tougher to make the 1 but I'd shoot it any way. He'll be in a bad spot if you even get the 7 close.

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
timdog24 said:
I think I would have to take into consideration what I'm betting, the tightness of the table, how good my opponent plays, and if I'm in dog mode or playing well. But, I'd probably shoot the 7. Like Cali said, you're close to the 7 and can load it up with left and hit it pretty accurately. If you get the 7 near your hole I don't see my opponent banking at the 1 when it isn't free.
I like your reasoning. The seven can be hit with he proper speed and controlling the cue is not difficult. Shooting it is still the best shot even if you're in the dog mode. What better way is there to snap out of it.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Frank Almanza said:
I like your reasoning. The seven can be hit with he proper speed and controlling the cue is not difficult. Shooting it is still the best shot even if you're in the dog mode. What better way is there to snap out of it.

I agree Frank...there is a 3rd option...one rail the seven, and pinch/draw your cue ball over to the side rail above the side pocket...Either shot can be shot with good speed, and should put the other guy in big trouble, or else you are out. Myself, I would probably cut it, if theres no kiss coming off the rail. (looks like there isn't)

No telling what the Grosst did...his 'trick shot' skills, (especially on a WEI table)...boggle the mind...:p :p :p

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
playing the percentages.

playing the percentages.

If you feel that you will pocket the 7 ball one out of three times then cutting the 7 ball is the correct shot. If you feel that you can pocket the 7 ball at least one out of three times then it's clearly the right shot.
Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
If you feel that you will pocket the 7 ball one out of three times then cutting the 7 ball is the correct shot. If you feel that you can pocket the 7 ball at least one out of three times then it's clearly the right shot.
Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.
Bill Bill,

I feel that I will pocket the 7 ball one out of three times and I feel that I can pocket the 7 ball at least one out of three times.

Cowboy Dennis Cowboy Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:

I can cinch the 1 ball to get on the hill, while trying to also get position for a tough straight back, or 2-railer on the 7 next....or I can shoot the backwards cut on the 7ball - if I make it I win - but if I miss it, I could leave some kind of cross-corner for my opponent, allowing him to get out...

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaLU1GXuj1PXPH3QcIr@[/CUETABLE]
If you can get shapes on the 1 ball by cutting the 7 with draw, then that's what I would do. If it's such a thin cut that the cueball is going three rails (with follow) then I might think twice about it.

If your opponent left you this shot, make him pay for it.

If you made a ball and left yourself this shot, make him pay for leaving the shot you made to get here:) .

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Hey, you forgot about the 5 railer on the 7;)

I would also cut the 7. Draw & left should keep the Q above the side pocket. Seems most everyone else would do the same.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would cinch the 1. If the pockets were comfortable, I would follow around the corner and over to the other side of the table for a bank at the 7 for the game. I feel pretty comfortable with my "one ball on the table" game, which factors in to my choice.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yes, indeed. Cut the seven, pocket speed. If you make it you win, and if you miss it but leave it real close, there can be a lot of reasons for your opponent to pass up the bank on the one.

If you take the one to get on the hill, you are still a long way from home and not out of danger. This is probably the best shot you will get on the seven. Don't pass it up.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like getting in the one hole, but in this spot I'm always shooting the 7ball and rolling over to the rail about a diamond above the 1 ball.
Rod.
PS, I make these shots better with a little inside english.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill Bill,

I feel that I will pocket the 7 ball one out of three times and I feel that I can pocket the 7 ball at least one out of three times.

Cowboy Dennis Cowboy Dennis

I I knew knew someone someone would would call call him him on on that that mistake mistake..:D:D

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
I like getting in the one hole, but in this spot I'm always shooting the 7ball and rolling over to the rail about a diamond above the 1 ball.
Rod.
PS, I make these shots better with a little inside english.

Rod, that is a good plan on that shot. I like it. I personally would prefer to throw the ob a little and play it with low for cb control. That puts me about a diamond above the side pocket. As long as you don't scratch :eek:, that is the main thing.

Skin < likes talking shot dynamics with Sir Rodney :cool:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Rod, that is a good plan on that shot. I like it. I personally would prefer to throw the ob a little and play it with low for cb control. That puts me about a diamond above the side pocket. As long as you don't scratch :eek:, that is the main thing.

Skin

The main thing for me here, is pocket speed. That's easier for me to control rolling the ball. Pocket speed will stop a return bank unless you miss terribly. ;)
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
The main thing for me here, is pocket speed. That's easier for me to control rolling the ball. Pocket speed will stop a return bank unless you miss terribly. ;)
Rod.

I figure a miss my way will be from an udercut which would send the 7 towards the 1. Your way I figure to miss by overcutting, sending the 7 away from the 1. Both could result in a leave for him to clear both balls out if the speed if off, but I personally like bringing the 7 towards the 1 better than sending it away because the hide is slightly more likely.

You're making me dissect my intutions again, Rod! Shame on you. :D

Skin < can scratch in the side from anywhere, anytime :eek: