wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
one out of three is a charm

one out of three is a charm

Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill Bill,

I feel that I will pocket the 7 ball one out of three times and I feel that I can pocket the 7 ball at least one out of three times.

Cowboy Dennis Cowboy Dennis
You're kidding me, right? Do you really think that there is not a difference in thinking that you can do something one out of three times, opposed to thinking you can do the same thing AT LEAST one out of three times. I think the difference is huge, in certain situations. And it's always a confidence builder knowing you can do something opposed to thinking you can do something. When you think you can do something AT LEAST one out of three times it's saying you know you can do it one out of three times.

Billy I.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
You're kidding me, right? Do you really think that there is not a difference in thinking that you can do something one out of three times, opposed to thinking you can do the same thing AT LEAST one out of three times. I think the difference is huge, in certain situations. And it's always a confidence builder knowing you can do something opposed to thinking you can do something. When you think you can do something AT LEAST one out of three times it's saying you know you can do it one out of three times.

Billy I.

Attachments

• veteran.jpg
    veteran.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
androd said:
I like getting in the one hole, but in this spot I'm always shooting the 7ball and rolling over to the rail about a diamond above the 1 ball.
Rod.
PS, I make these shots better with a little inside english.
I like your way of playing this shot in terms of following it, but not with inside english. I like following the ball for two valid reasons. One, if missed your chances of hooking your opponent behind the one ball is greater. The second reason is,(providing your opponent is a right handed player) your opponent may have to use the bridge to negotiate his shot.

Trust me I don't bullshit, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
I would definately cut the 7 ball.

I don't think i ever would have a hard time getting that ball in the jaws.

(on a wei table anyway ;))

Dud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Correct me if i'm mistaken, but I believe your suggesting that I obtain a bullshit protecter, right?:D If not i'll have to drop you a few rungs and put you at CD's level, at CD's level.:D

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:

Billy I.
Bill,

1. Yes I was kidding, sort of.

2. I knew you didn't "double-post".

3. "Will and "can" were duly noted by me.

4. Here's your forgotten smiley:) .

Now to the "sort of" and the reason for my response. I'll never feel like I "will" pocket the 7 one of of three times until I "can" pocket the 7 one out of three times. That was my point. Once I "can" pocket the 7 one out of three times I won't "feel" anything. But that's just me.

Bottom line: I knew what your post meant and I knew it wasn't a mistake.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
Correct me if i'm mistaken, but I believe your suggesting that I obtain a bullshit protecter, right?:D If not i'll have to drop you a few rungs and put you at CD's level, at CD's level.:D

Billy I.
Things are getting tough around the holidays:eek: . Bill, if you got the bullshit protector you'd miss out on many of my fine posts but you'd also miss out on communicating with some of your friends:p .

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:

Billy I.

You two should "pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle." :p

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

1. Yes I was kidding, sort of.

2. I knew you didn't "double-post".

3. "Will and "can" were duly noted by me.

4. Here's your forgotten smiley:) .

Now to the "sort of" and the reason for my response. I'll never feel like I "will" pocket the 7 one of of three times until I "can" pocket the 7 one out of three times. That was my point. Once I "can" pocket the 7 one out of three times I won't "feel" anything. But that's just me.

Bottom line: I knew what your post meant and I knew it wasn't a mistake.

Dennis

I apologize.. I read that post wrong I guess. I thought he made a mistake by talking about pocketing the 7, 1 in 3 times and I thought he meant to say or pocket the 1 ball, 1 out of 3 times on the 2nd half of it.

Or whatever the hell I'm trying to say... ahhhhh.. never mind:eek:

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
I'm no great 1p player, but I like rail first on the 1 (I can shoot it with a smooth softer stroke) then swing over to the other long rail for a better angle to 2 rail the 7.

My reasoning is if I fire at the 7 and miss, I might leave a crossing bank on the 1 where he can shoot the bank AND knock the 7 away, OR leave me tough behind the 7 after crossing the 1.

I think I will go downstairs and set this up for a try. Maybe I can video it and we all can see my lack of talent! ;)

G.

Skin

Verified Member
Alright Bhost, time's up. What'd you do and how'd it turn out?

Skin

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I set this shot up today and shot it about 8 times. I used low left and just enough speed to get there. 3 times it barely kissed off the 1 ball and went in, so that's a extra plus:) And it didn't move the 1 ball much either. 3 times I made it and 2 times I missed but didn't leave anything.

That's because on every shot the cueball went directly across the table and ended up on the rail lining directly straight in on the 1 ball.

I'm shooting the 7 ball and saw nothing that could go wrong.:)

Skin

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
I sliced the 7 - I like thin cuts...luckily I had one of my straight-shooting moments and split the pocket.

- Ghost

Good going. How'd you shoot it for shape and leave?

Skin

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Well done, Ghosty, I'm proud of you. However, you failed to tell us whether you knocked down the one for a win. In case you dogged it, better keep it to yourself. I don't want to hear about it. :eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Skin said:
Good going. How'd you shoot it for shape and leave?

Skin

Skin....Some of the posters said they would shoot it with draw, but I'm with Rod and Billy on this one - I shot it with a pocket-speed lag stroke...

It's just personal preference, but for me, with this kind of shot, my accuracy is better with that stroke...also I agreed with Billy rather than Rod and shot it with outside english rather than Rod's inside english - mainly because I wanted to hold up the cueball as much as possible...

But having said that...for the majority of razor thin cut shots that come up on the pool table, like Rod, I prefer to shoot them with inside english - for me, that's the most accurate way to shoot/make them - and also, I believe the pockets are more accepting of balls shot down the rail, when shot with inside english.

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Skin....Some of the posters said they would shoot it with draw, but I'm with Rod and Billy on this one - I shot it with a pocket-speed lag stroke...

It's just personal preference, but for me, with this kind of shot, my accuracy is better with that stroke...also I agreed with Billy rather than Rod and shot it with outside english rather than Rod's inside english - mainly because I wanted to hold up the cueball as much as possible...

But having said that...for the majority of razor thin cut shots that come up on the pool table, like Rod, I prefer to shoot them with inside english - for me, that's the most accurate way to shoot/make them - and also, I believe the pockets are more accepting of balls shot down the rail, when shot with inside english.

- Ghost
That's an excellent point you made when you said that outside english will slow the cue ball down, where inside english(running english) will speed the cue ball up. With this type of hit you need to slow the cue ball down to stay on top of the one ball close to the rail. But like Rod said that I agree with, using a high ball will make the shot easier to judge in terms of speed.

This shot is very tricky, based on the severity of the cut. If you find that the cut is too thin to play with a high ball, then you will get better results with a low ball, but the angle shown plays comfortably with a high ball.

There were some excellent points brought up with the way this shot, or shots like this shot can be played, and why.

Thanks to people/players like The Ghost and Cowboy that help make this site one of the best, if not the best instructional sites available on the net.:cool:

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
Thanks to people/players like The Ghost and Cowboy that help make this site one of the best, if not the best instructional sites available on the net.:cool:

Billy I.
rod, sjd, skin, doc,calired ,etc
billy needs to see a doctor.:eek:
hes getting forgetful by not mentioning us:D
or even himself:)
its true we do have a great site and i have learned alot from all of you. thanks :)

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
hi guys. Here's a link to how I saw this shot. Truthfully, this was my first try on video.....which by the way is shot with my old digital camera that you can take 1 minute videos with. The quality is just ok, but, I "think" I'm getting a new killer camera for x-mas :)

You will see how it turned out....I over ran my position on the first shot by 2 feet!

let me know how the video looks on your end.

thanx, Gerry

video link>>> [ame]http://www.vimeo.com/18128608[/ame]

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

I guess I'm going blind...but using follow (of any kind, but especially with inside RH english) aren't you risking an immediate kiss, as you come off side the rail...?

PS..Almost all good players hit thin cuts better using LOW, or SIDE (throw) english...Weaker players always tend to just roll thier rock at the OB...Allthough it could be just another Chicago abnormality...:rolleyes:

Last edited: