Dick's on a beat list

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Skin

Verified Member
androd said:
Where did you find this ? people with lists are very similar. What a joke.:p :D ;)
Rod.
PS, His reputation as a traveling pool sucker was well deserved.

Rod, I ran across his website about a year ago and then saw reference to it again this evening on AZB. Apparently it hase been updated within the last month or so because nothing was on it when I originally visited. Anyway, Dick has already told that story in a "pool tale" housed on the Beard's website. :rolleyes:

Skin

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I remember seeing that site sometime back too.... It does appear it's been updated. I see this reference

We played all night for $200 a game and finished the next day. I won $1600 and the last $800 of it was in quarters. With that weight, I had to keep pulling my pants up until I got to a bank. Is that where that song comes from, "Pants on the ground?"

hehe (Dick, it is not gay to say hehe... haha sounds stupid and the hehe is not said like it sounds:D) he says he won 800.00 in quarters, after consulting the amazing Internet, that would be about 40 lbs. Why would one "wear" 40 lbs of quarters? Wouldn't one just set them next to your case or something:eek:

Anyway, I love to read this kind of stuff, I know it's not all true, but it's fun reading just the same:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Where did you find this ? people with lists are very similar. What a joke.:p
Rod.
PS, His reputation as a traveling pool sucker was well deserved.

Rod is a little off, with his recollections, of the night of our first meeting.

Rod's version >>>>>

1966. In Dallas, I was beating everyone I played and George Mc Gann backed a lot of them. I beat Norman Hitchcock on a daily basis and while beating U.J. Puckett playing 8-ball, a gun shot went off in the back room. I found out later they ran out of money and were fighting over who was going to shoot me. Lucky for me, they didn't have any more bullets at the time. {not likely Rod,...Geo. kept a well stocked arsenal in his bar} In a later game while beating San Jose Dick, George did pull a gun and pointed it right at me and told me to give him all my money. I refused to do so. San Jose Dick was begging George not to shoot me. After a while, George put the gun away and proposed we play on the wire until the bank opens then he would pay me. I was still winning and he kept doubling up betting funny money and I realized that he had no intention of paying me. Dick got hot and won their money back. George came over to me, apologized and stated that I would probably never give him any action again. That just made me angry so I kept playing and lost it all. I put my cue away and told George, "You'd better kill me or open the door and let me out." He opened the door. Later, I found out they broke into my car and stole my guitar, car title, registration, proof of insurance, etc) I stayed in Dallas another month until my new paperwork came.

Corrected version >>>

I have taken the liberty of highlighting in red...the only factual statements in Rod's accounting of that night...The rest of the paragraph must be the result of too many damaged brain cells...Rod should recall, that is not the way that night went down at all. George threw down on him, when he tried to pull up winner...I had recovered almost all the $$$ George was stuck backing Puckett, and was several hundred winner in our game...George was never out of money, or asked to go on the wire. He was just a pilled up dangerous hothead, and he was still a little stuck, and went berserk when Rod wanted to quit...I admit it was not a fun night for Rod, (or me either)... so I will allow him a few [sic] discrepencies. I walked him out to his car that crazy night...and it was a sad sight indeed...That was when we agreed to meet somewhere alone, and play the next night.

How could he not recall, that we did play the same game (last pocket 8 ball) the very next night, with George (nor anyone else) nowhere around, and I completly emptied him out for about 2K...I remember vividly, because when Geo. found out about it, he "tushed" me out of about half of it, (even though I tried to point out that I had actually won money back for him)...Remember Rod, you broke two thousand dollar bills with me that next night, at the old Airline Lounge, out by Love Field.

Rod may also not recall, we played in a bunch of other towns in Texas and Louisiana..and he is the only decent player I ever batted 1000 against. Wherever I heard the Surfer had "surfaced" somewhere...I would get 2-3 speeding tickets getting to him...I stalked him relentlessly...He was dead right about one thing though...He damn sure would play !!!

Puckett was the one who tagged him with "The Traveling Pool Sucker" handle...Ironically, I don't think Puckett ever beat him at anything, but he was in with me on a few later plays against Rod...as was, many times, Charlie Brown...;) We must have played hundreds of games of one pocket, on a 3 X 6 "Cracker Box", with the big cue ball, and with all 15 balls (which was the only way he'd play) It sure was crowded ! (and he sure never liked it)

"Beat Lists" are, what they are, a very loose representaion of the actual facts...A much more accurate description, ("Bad Day in Dallas")...can be found on the Beard's web site...(if he hasn't taken it down)...:eek:...

I wish Rod would join our little group here. He is a colorful character, and a pretty decent guy. (plus, he can give RBL and Ghost, 8 to 5 for 'crazy')...I spoke to him last year, and still have his phone number. I will give him a call...He's getting old enough now, to join the rest of us lying pool degenerates...I'm sure he has a lot of good stories....and he sure didn't always lose... But like all good player's, he is blessed with an ego...and a very selective memory)..:p

PS..Jay Helfert knows Rod real well too.. >>> http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2772734&postcount=4

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Beat lists - might as well title them "The Older I Get The Better I Was". :D

Skin < has no beat list; almost never knew who he was playing and neither did the the other guy :cool:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Beat lists - might as well title them "The Older I Get The Better I Was". :D

Skin < has no beat list; almost never knew who he was playing and neither did the the other guy :cool:

So far we've got Freddy, Bill Stroud and Surfer Rod.. The three amigos.:p :D :cool:
Rod.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
androd said:
So far we've got Freddy, Bill Stroud and Surfer Rod.. The three amigos.:p :D :cool:
Rod.

If they can publish a "Beat List" they should also publish a "Go-Off list". I'll bet it is a hell of a lot longer than the beat list.

Except maybe for Stroud. I heard he matched up fairly snugly.

And my "Go-Off list would equal anybody's, and I'm still trying to add to it but some of them (You know who you are) won't let me. Must just be nice guys.

bobbycotton

Verified Member
George McGann

George McGann

I was staying with George at his house in Big Springs, Tx. and he told me what happened on the surfer rod story, he liked rod even after he heisted him !

SJDinPHX

Suspended
bobbycotton said:
I was staying with George at his house in Big Springs, Tx. and he told me what happened on the surfer rod story, he liked rod even after he heisted him !

Bobby,...George did not "heist" Rod, (at least not that night)... However, I am sure he had James Pelfry break into his car...does that count ?..:)

Rod still had all his own money, plus a few hundred he was winner on George and Billy T, (backing Puckett) when he left the joint that night. He only lost a
little more than half of it back to me. Thats what lit George up, when Rod tried to quit.

George did like to brag though...He liked to take credit for almost every underworld killing in Texas. (some were actually true)...I even heard him hint that he hired Jack Ruby to kill Oswald...I doubt it, but he did have a real "dark side"..:cool:

Last edited:

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Interesting.... Reading Surfer Rod's story, he mentions how his long time road partner was Omaha John. Well guess who I got to meet tonight:D

Omaha John showed up at my pool hall and I introduced myself. (you'll like this.. I was playing a game of banks:)) We shot the shit for awhile. He looks good. Some things I learned. He doesn't play anymore because of neck problems. He's been here to this site, but didn't realize there was a forum. I told him to sign up. He reads AZB sometimes.

He said Surfer Rod was the greatest hustler he ever saw, because of his ability to make all kinds of prop bets for just about anything. If I see him again, I'll have to get his email address so I can pester him about joining up here.

Any Omaha John stories? I missed his whole era, since I was growing up on a farm in the middle of NE in a town of 4000 people. The only pool table I saw was the one my aunt would put food on during the holidays:)

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I emailed "Surfer Rod" about a year ago and invited him to this site. I found his site which was riddled with such impressive things as stock market predicting programs, and all sorts of bizarre things.

I believe I sent Dick a link to it..

Skin

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
I emailed "Surfer Rod" about a year ago and invited him to this site. I found his site which was riddled with such impressive things as stock market predicting programs, and all sorts of bizarre things.

I believe I sent Dick a link to it..

Did you tell him (SR) that he is on the Beard's beat list? He is, you know. ;)

Skin

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
CaliRed said:
Interesting.... Reading Surfer Rod's story, he mentions how his long time road partner was Omaha John. Well guess who I got to meet tonight:D

Omaha John showed up at my pool hall and I introduced myself. (you'll like this.. I was playing a game of banks:)) We shot the shit for awhile. He looks good. Some things I learned. He doesn't play anymore because of neck problems. He's been here to this site, but didn't realize there was a forum. I told him to sign up. He reads AZB sometimes.

He said Surfer Rod was the greatest hustler he ever saw, because of his ability to make all kinds of prop bets for just about anything. If I see him again, I'll have to get his email address so I can pester him about joining up here.

Any Omaha John stories? I missed his whole era, since I was growing up on a farm in the middle of NE in a town of 4000 people. The only pool table I saw was the one my aunt would put food on during the holidays:)

We called him Nebraska John in So. California when he came through. I was in a little bar in Temple City outside of Los Angeles that was owned by a friend of mine one night and this stranger came in looking for a game. I never was much of a bar pool player, but there was a family billiards room directly across the street from the bar. I had never set foot in this place because it was strictly a kids joint, but we matched up a game.

We agreed to play some $100 a game one pocket across the street, and posted the $$ and walked over. This room had 10 or 12 tables and dozens of different kind of games. They had one game that you shot torpedos at submarines. It beeped and rang bells like crazy and you could see the guy I was playing was a little annoyed. When he was down on a critical shot the torpedo hit the sub and there was a huge explosion and it was so loud the floor where we were playing was shaking. He missed the shot and sold out. I won the game and he quit.

I didn't find out who it was until I ran into him at at all night joint a week or so later. I got lucky, he was a much better player than me.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
No sir, I did not. I wanted my invite to be as welcoming as possible! I even went on to tell him How I learned his jump off the rail shot shown in Eddie Robins book...And told him noone here likes DUCKS!!:D Armed, or not!
Skin said:
Did you tell him (SR) that he is on the Beard's beat list? He is, you know. ;)

Skin

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
In an effort to be like one of my favorites on here, I quote myself.

With a link to Rod Curry's Site(Looks like he is still playing): http://konnections.net/rodcurry/index.htm
newfosgatesucks said:
No sir, I did not. I wanted my invite to be as welcoming as possible! I even went on to tell him How I learned his jump off the rail shot shown in Eddie Robins book...And told him noone here likes DUCKS!!:D Armed, or not!