Ra Vs Keith / Plaitis #4

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:
John.....No need to defend Ronnie - obviously......Everybody knows, including me, that he was in the top 1-3 movers and One Pocket players of all time...I just didn't happen to like this particular shot of his - and that's with my having taken into account all of the strategies/situational considerations that you mentioned...:)

- Gho$ty

I still think WHO you are playing and for HOW MUCH has a strong bearing on the shot you select. While there are usually one or two shots most of us would play, you have to play the person almost as much as the situation you want to put them in.

I will be much more aggressive against someone who does not run balls well. If I get behind in balls I will go into a more defensive game.

When I played Artie last year at DCC, he would not shoot a ball in the middle of the table when he needed one and he had ball in hand. He opted to take two balls out of my hole. This, IMO cost him the set. When I saw he would not go for a green light, I started sending balls to my hole and leaving the cueball up table. He exposed his weakness and I took advantage of it by changing my style. When we played in Texas I tried to move with him, got outmoved and out of stroke and lost.

Our match at DCC will be interesting. While I know you can run balls, you do not have Bernie's shot making ability and firepower (I hope). I will have to slow one of you down and be more aggressive against the other one. I am hoping shooting every fourth shot will slow Bernie down some. If it doesn't, I could be in trouble.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
I still think WHO you are playing and for HOW MUCH has a strong bearing on the shot you select. While there are usually one or two shots most of us would play, you have to play the person almost as much as the situation you want to put them in.

I will be much more aggressive against someone who does not run balls well. If I get behind in balls I will go into a more defensive game.

When I played Artie last year at DCC, he would not shoot a ball in the middle of the table when he needed one and he had ball in hand. He opted to take two balls out of my hole. This, IMO cost him the set. When I saw he would not go for a green light, I started sending balls to my hole and leaving the cueball up table. He exposed his weakness and I took advantage of it by changing my style. When we played in Texas I tried to move with him, got outmoved and out of stroke and lost.

Our match at DCC will be interesting. While I know you can run balls, you do not have Bernie's shot making ability and firepower (I hope). I will have to slow one of you down and be more aggressive against the other one. I am hoping shooting every fourth shot will slow Bernie down some. If it doesn't, I could be in trouble.

John.....I agree - my philosophy is the same as yours...I will always adjust my approach, shot choices, and strategy depending on the bet, game score, and what type of player I'm playing.

I also think our match-up at DCC is going to be interesting, and a lot of fun, win or lose...

And I'm hoping that since you're more afraid of Bernie's ball pocketing/ball running than mine ;) that you'll try your more risky/aggressive shots in the inning preceding mine, leaving me some tasty shots, when you miss or screw-up...:)

- Gho$ty

PS, And as far as slowing Bernie, or me down...Bernie and I have talked about that..and against us that won't factor in much...because Bernie and I are both slower, contemplative style players - we like a slow pace..:)....now if you were playing fast players like a Mitch Ellerman/Bobby Emmons team for example - the slowdown would help you big-time.

PPS, Hey Fast Lenny/Lenny the Lock...I like it that you're betting on us...:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
[QUOTE

PS, "rancor"...larry, are you attempting to challenge me and Freddy in the big word category...:rolleyes: :D :cool:[/QUOTE]
ghost it really doesnt matter :eek:
sunnyone has us beat 16-3:p
JMHO

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
jrhendy said:
On a side note, I have watched Ronnie be his own partner in this situation a few times. He would shoot one handed as often as he could on easier shots or easier safeties, sometimes two or three in a row if they did not pay attention. Then when a tough shot came up he could shoot it two handed, reminding them that he shot the last shot one handed.

He moved better than six Ghost's.

Was that a move designed to make the person forget which way he was supposed to be shooting, or is part of that spot? Does he have to shoot every other inning (at least) one handed? I mean, sure he could shoot his two-handed inning one handed, but that would be up to him. Or would he just mix everyone up by shooting so many one-handed shots, no one ever knew where he was at:)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
CaliRed said:
Was that a move designed to make the person forget which way he was supposed to be shooting, or is part of that spot? Does he have to shoot every other inning (at least) one handed? I mean, sure he could shoot his two-handed inning one handed, but that would be up to him. Or would he just mix everyone up by shooting so many one-handed shots, no one ever knew where he was at:)

The move behind it is if he has tough shot he could claim it was now time to shoot two handed instead of one handed. He was supposed to shoot two handed every other shot.

It was surprising how many times it worked.