shot from the other night

5andout

i got the roll against me and got left this shot with my opponent needing the one ball in his hole and i was trapped behind the point. what can i do.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaYE4CVpF4EaEd1PcAd@[/CUETABLE]

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
welcome to the forums!!! You must have been a lurker??? Your 1st post has a WEI in it, so your not "duck saddled":)

I have no idea what anyone else is going to say, but it appears you need 3, he needs 1 and you can't get his ball that's HANGING in his pocket, out. So anything defensive (taking a scratch, hooking him behind something) is probably only going to delay the inevitable.

Even if you make his ball and scratch, he still has 2 ducks and ball in hand then.

I'd take a wild flyer at this ball and see what happens, but I would have his money in one hand, ready to pay, when I took it:D

Trust me, I'm a pilot

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Try to softly hit the other bevel and come back where you are.:D If he happens to scratch behind you, then you have a chinamans chance. Get ready to pay off.:(

Rod.
PS, welcome to the site

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaYE4CVpF4EaEd1PcAd1kcAd1kYWt1kcpY1kdfX@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
5andout said:
i got the roll against me and got left this shot with my opponent needing the one ball in his hole and i was trapped behind the point. what can i do.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AaYE4CVpF4EaEd1PcAd@[/CUETABLE]
Actually the roll you got was a good roll, I can't think of a better place for the cue ball that would favor you other then where it is. The only chance you have to win this game is to force your opponent to take a foul, and from this position you can bury him behind the point. Anything else would be extremely reckless.

Billy I.

5andout

no i just joined i have been a member of the az forums, but i just happened to read all the info on the cuetable layout thread. I was wondering how about trying to kick at a slow speed behind the ball since it was on a tight diamond table.

bstroud

Verified Member
Billy I. is correct.

Just push the cue ball against the rail and take a deliberate foul.
If your opponent takes a foul take another. If he tries to kick it in and misses you're golden.
If he takes another try to kick the ball in.
Pretty easy kick.

Bill S.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/63itJ9RCnks?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/63itJ9RCnks?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bstroud

Verified Member
It's a little different shot but it was a dumb choice.
He could have taken a foul and then shot the same shot.

What he did was a hail mary nothing more.

Bill S.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
wincardona said:
Actually the roll you got was a good roll, I can't think of a better place for the cue ball that would favor you other then where it is. The only chance you have to win this game is to force your opponent to take a foul, and from this position you can bury him behind the point. Anything else would be extremely reckless.

Billy I.

I thought I remember some discussion several months ago, about these type of shots. Something about it was frowned upon for anyone taking intentional scratches when left in the jaws, by freezing them on the point.

Is is perfectly fine to take a intentional scratch, by rolling up against the point and cornerhooking him? Nobody would look at that, as doing anything wrong, correct?

I got confused somewhere, and I'm just trying to get unconfused.

titty hooks are my life:rolleyes:

senor

Verified Member
bstroud said:
Billy I. is correct.

Bill S.

I used to think that was a good shot until I did it against someone I gambled with pretty frequently and also a good friend. When he saw what I did he asked "How many fouls was that?" :D I didn't get what he was saying immediately, but I soon did :eek:

BTW, welcome to the site 5andout.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
bstroud said:
It's a little different shot but it was a dumb choice.
He could have taken a foul and then shot the same shot.

What he did was a hail mary nothing more.

Bill S.
I agree but it was still a fun shot to see. :D

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I was curious about the rule about trapping someone behind the point, I heard you cant push the cue ball and trap an opponent like that. :confused:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Fast Lenny said:
I was curious about the rule about trapping someone behind the point, I heard you cant push the cue ball and trap an opponent like that. :confused:
I believe they said the rule was spot one ball and your opponent gets CB in hand behind the line.:)
Rod.
PS, Before the shot I would warn my opponent of the penalty.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
bstroud said:
Billy I. is correct.

If your opponent takes a foul take another. If he tries to kick it in and misses you're golden.
Pretty easy kick.

Bill S.

I would think someone with your creds would know this isn't legal.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
I would think someone with your creds would know this isn't legal.

Waddaya mean...It's legal at the YMCA. We do it all the time..:p :p :p

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
bstroud said:
Billy I. is correct.

Pretty easy kick.

Bill S.

Unethical maybe???? Are you talking about intentionally "pushing the cueball" or using a legal cueing action.

Not too happy if my opponent does the push method.... I would have to do it right back.

If no 3 foul rule I believe this would be a stalemate.

Dud

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
androd said:
I would think someone with your creds would know this isn't legal.[/QUOT

There is no legal. What planet are you from? You make the rules before you play. I would never gamble at one pocket with the 3 foul rule.

If you push the cue ball against the rail and keep it there you owe a ball. No more. Any good player accepts this. It is the way it is.

There is no one foul cue ball in hand in one pocket. Perhaps in a tournament it is OK to keep things going but not when you are gambling.

Bill S.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
bstroud said:
androd said:
I would think someone with your creds would know this isn't legal.[/QUOT

There is no legal. What planet are you from? You make the rules before you play. I would never gamble at one pocket with the 3 foul rule.

If you push the cue ball against the rail and keep it there you owe a ball. No more. Any good player accepts this. It is the way it is.

There is no one foul cue ball in hand in one pocket. Perhaps in a tournament it is OK to keep things going but not when you are gambling.

Bill S.
Mr. Stroud, if you're saying that you would pin the cue ball to the rail with the tip of your cue then you would lose me as your opponent. Is that what you mean by "keep it there"? Even in one pocket there are some ethics. I would probably warn my opponent before that shot.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Push and hold shot

Push and hold shot

This type of shot is generally not acceptable amongst gamblers, at least the ones that I have gambled with. There really hasn't been a penalty printed for this type of a foul but it should be more costly then a 1 ball penalty. I would believe that the penalty for this type of deliberate foul should be loss of 1 ball and the option to put the cue ball back to the position it was shot from. But of course this is just an opinion , but there should be a rule for this type of an infraction.

Billy I.