3 cushion questions

Texas3cushion

I've been playing 3c for about 5-6 years now and still don't know the answers to these questions.

1. Why does 3c use two cue balls?

2. Why is the red ball considered neutral?

3. Why when playing 3 players do some alternate cue balls?

Why do these questions matter? I'll give you my answer or idea about these questions.

1. Why does 3c use two cue balls? A consequence of this rule is that it causes a special type of safety play. i.e. playing the 1 (your cue ball) to the red last. if you had only 1 cue ball and both other balls, the 2 & 3 were red. this would limit SOME safeties. based on ball, not angle.

2. Why is the red ball considered neutral? Maybe just cause it's not a cue ball? but when you want to play 3 players they usually alternate between white, yellow and back to white.

3. Why when playing 3 players do some alternate cue balls? Related to question 2 obviously. but what's the point of this? I was asking some friends who play better than me about this and I never really got a good answer. One could argue that you don't want to bump the red because it's neutral but does that matter if you have to bump your opponent's cue ball and the red anyway?

What makes me think or ask these types of questions? Well, 3c is mostly, NOT ALWAYS an offensive game. especially played at the highest level. And safeties are often played primarily to make the point but in a way to get lucky with a safe if you don't.

If there was 1 cue ball and two red balls this would incentivize even more offensive play. which I like more. and the safety play would be more based on angle rather than ball.

At the end the day I'm not trying to make the game a certain way. but hopefully someone has some answers to these questions.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I've been playing 3c for about 5-6 years now and still don't know the answers to these questions.

1. Why does 3c use two cue balls?

2. Why is the red ball considered neutral?

3. Why when playing 3 players do some alternate cue balls?
I'll make up an answer to each:

1. The game was designed to have only two players (or teams) so one cueball per person. And yes, I believe this was done to allow a person to play defense. Back many years ago intentional safeties were allowed, today they are not, but some play questionable shots for defense. Heck, there's no penalty that I know of, but I think the should lose a fingernail, then a piece of a finger, then a hand if they keep it up 🤣😂.

2. Red ball is neutral because it's not a cueball and would help with defense.

3. Traditionally even though playing 3 or more handed they would alternate cueballs to simulate a two handed game where you can play safe for the incoming player. But things are changing. One of the new leagues in Asia have preliminaries with groups of 3 to see who qualify for the single elimination round. They use balls that are white, yellow and orange and they are all cueballs. Each player plays their assigned ball and they rotate play. They can still play safe if they choose because they know what cueball follows them, it's not a pure offensive game. You and two friends can play this way if you wish.

Yes, the very top players play a little more offensive game playing position sometimes more than defense, but believe me they play defense when it counts.

Texas3cushion

I'll make up an answer to each:

1. The game was designed to have only two players (or teams) so one cueball per person. And yes, I believe this was done to allow a person to play defense. Back many years ago intentional safeties were allowed, today they are not, but some play questionable shots for defense. Heck, there's no penalty that I know of, but I think the should lose a fingernail, then a piece of a finger, then a hand if they keep it up 🤣😂.

2. Red ball is neutral because it's not a cueball and would help with defense.

3. Traditionally even though playing 3 or more handed they would alternate cueballs to simulate a two handed game where you can play safe for the incoming player. But things are changing. One of the new leagues in Asia have preliminaries with groups of 3 to see who qualify for the single elimination round. They use balls that are white, yellow and orange and they are all cueballs. Each player plays their assigned ball and they rotate play. They can still play safe if they choose because they know what cueball follows them, it's not a pure offensive game. You and two friends can play this way if you wish.

Yes, the very top players play a little more offensive game playing position sometimes more than defense, but believe me they play defense when it counts.
Thanks for your reply.

Not to play devil's advocate here but I'm a little confused about some things.

On your 3rd answer when you talk about playing safe when playing 3 handed. isn't that a similar concept to trying to play safe in a 9-ball ring game? My point is, safety doesn't really work when you're just selling out to the 3rd guy. So it's not a real safe and you might as well go for something even if it's hyper-aggressive.

And just out of curiosity, what's up with the unwritten rule of not playing safe? It almost feels like you're not supposed to but everyone does and even if it's the right shot for the situation. No one really says anything? Yet the game was designed to play safe?

If we all really wanted the game to be primarily an offensive game. We could just change the 2 & 3 to red. who knows maybe people would then leave the cue ball down table on certain shots. :ROFLMAO:

I may be overthinking these problems but I find it interesting how people create certain games.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
It's not a ring game, each player is trying to qualify for the next round and most are capable of stringing a bunch together so you better consider the leave. But there are no intentional safeties allowed so in that way it would be similar.

Nobody ever said it is an unwritten rule where you don't/play safe. It's a part of the game as long as you make an honest effort to score. It's ok to leave your opponent's cueball at on end of the table and the other 2 balls at the other end. It's called strategy depending on the score.

Who said they wanted a primarily offensive game? The world's top players often shoot a shot that's harder to score and may sell out if missed, but it's for positional reasons to run a bunch. Most cannot do those things, but if it's the end of the game and you both need 2 or 3 points to get the money wouldn't you want to give yourself a chance to win.

And yes, you're overthinking it only because you like offense and don't want to be bored watching it. 🤣😂

Is one pocket a pure offensive game with no safeties?

Texas3cushion

It's not a ring game, each player is trying to qualify for the next round and most are capable of stringing a bunch together so you better consider the leave. But there are no intentional safeties allowed so in that way it would be similar.

Nobody ever said it is an unwritten rule where you don't/play safe. It's a part of the game as long as you make an honest effort to score. It's ok to leave your opponent's cueball at on end of the table and the other 2 balls at the other end. It's called strategy depending on the score.

Who said they wanted a primarily offensive game? The world's top players often shoot a shot that's harder to score and may sell out if missed, but it's for positional reasons to run a bunch. Most cannot do those things, but if it's the end of the game and you both need 2 or 3 points to get the money wouldn't you want to give yourself a chance to win.

And yes, you're overthinking it only because you like offense and don't want to be bored watching it. 🤣😂

Is one pocket a pure offensive game with no safeties?
What's the difference between a intentional safety and a defense?

Texas3cushion

I'm confused with #1. Why would the red be last? It doesn't.
It's a common safety to play your cue ball towards the red last and to leave them close together but not too close together. This usually results in your opponent having to kick many rails and catching the right side of one ball to carom the cue ball off it into the other ball. Kind of hard to imagine since there are many variations of this shot.

Hope I answered your question.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
It's a common safety to play your cue ball towards the red last and to leave them close together but not too close together. This usually results in your opponent having to kick many rails and catching the right side of one ball to carom the cue ball off it into the other ball. Kind of hard to imagine since there are many variations of this shot.

Hope I answered your question.
Thanks