An idea for 1B1P…

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was looking through an old pool notebook of mine and I had an end game practice with just one ball and the cue ball on the table — so it was 1B1P. But the catch was, when one of you scores the ball, the opponent places a new object ball wherever they want on the table and whoever scored keeps shooting from where the cue ball lies, at the same pocket.

It occurred to me that could be a more interesting way of continuing play than starting over with the same break shot over and over. You’d need a rule about the opponent can’t place the ball too close to their own pocket (like the “not within a diamond” opening break shot rule), but the shooter would be allowed to shoot at their pocket, to continue the match, because obviously the opponent is going to do their damndest to put the shooter in a tough spot where they woudn’t have an offensive shot lol.

You could even switch pockets anytime you wanted (alternate) — because of course the opponent would simply place the object ball accordingly, depending on whether the players are alternating pockets or staying w the same one.

What do you think?

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I was looking through an old pool notebook of mine and I had an end game practice with just one ball and the cue ball on the table — so it was 1B1P. But the catch was, when one of you scores the ball, the opponent places a new object ball wherever they want on the table and whoever scored keeps shooting from where the cue ball lies, at the same pocket.

It occurred to me that could be a more interesting way of continuing play than starting over with the same break shot over and over. You’d need a rule about the opponent can’t place the ball too close to their own pocket (like the “not within a diamond” opening break shot rule), but the shooter would be allowed to shoot at their pocket, to continue the match, because obviously the opponent is going to do their damndest to put the shooter in a tough spot where they woudn’t have an offensive shot lol.

You could even switch pockets anytime you wanted (alternate) — because of course the opponent would simply place the object ball accordingly, depending on whether the players are alternating pockets or staying w the same one.

What do you think?
Interesting idea but I'm not sure that it really adds anything to the tension or to the set up for the next game. Maybe after trying it out it would reveal its value. So long as the high risk sell out factor is eliminated by not forcing the breaker to break from the end rail in the middle, I like the way new games begin as we've been playing it at the 1p.org tournaments.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I have an idea about 1B1P, dont do it. Match up for real op instead.
I'm not sure why you hate 1b1p so much Bill but you should give it a rest. Most people like it as a fast paced head scratching knuckle biting alternative to the long form version. You don't have to play it, of course, and if you are worried you won't get enough action when it is being played, I'm pretty sure you can get all the action you want whenever you want it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I forgot to mention it also presents another way to start the game: The "breaker" simply designates their pocket and places the cue ball anywhere they want on the table, and the opponent places the object ball accordingly, to leave it in a safe place. Then the breaker can go ahead and shoot however they want -- including directly for their pocket if they see a shot they like.

I also think this could be good played like a race to 3 for whatever $$, and for this I kind of like the idea of "sudden death" if you scratch, a coin gets moved and the next game starts like the "opening break". Sudden death would keep the speed up, but blocks of three would make it a little more of a game.

The reason I had liked my original idea for practice was that because the cue ball is played where it lies, it forces a little random variety in situations -- especially when you add in creativity as to where the "opponent" places the object ball to make the situation tough, which leads to more variety in the challenge of coming up with a good shot/safety out of all those different situations. I don't believe I ever played it with anyone -- I just used it as a practice routine against myself to get more experience with different end game situations.

But it struck me when I saw my old notes, it might add some variety to 1B1P, as opposed to using the same standard opening break over and over again.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I'm not sure why you hate 1b1p so much Bill but you should give it a rest. Most people like it as a fast paced head scratching knuckle biting alternative to the long form version. You don't have to play it, of course, and if you are worried you won't get enough action when it is being played, I'm pretty sure you can get all the action you want whenever you want it.
Whats to understand. He's as old school as it gets with one pocket. Got to love him for trying to protect the things he loves and he isn't shy about it. I personally agree with him on this game.
That being said Steve is a think outside the box innovator. Both men love the game so I respect both mens opinions.
Pretty funny that some of the men I grew up around always thought my opinions or love of pool was a joke because I was the weaker player. Their answer was always the gambling response.

baby huey

Verified Member
I only like 1Ball OP for a decider in a standard One Pocket Match that's hill hill. I watched quite a lot of spot shots as deciders in last weeks Predator Event in LV.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I think it's a good mini tournament option. It's fast, it's easy to follow and it's a good game to learn the end game. I am glad it's catching interest. As for gambling, if you are good at it, you can win a lot of games very quickly before your opponent knows he is out classed.

Joe

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I think it's a good mini tournament option. It's fast, it's easy to follow and it's a good game to learn the end game. I am glad it's catching interest. As for gambling, if you are good at it, you can win a lot of games very quickly before your opponent knows he is out classed.

Joe
That is something I agree with AS LONG AS it doesn’t interfere with action games. When going to any tournament I go early for action. There should be no reason those action games should be stopped for “mini tournaments”…….

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You want to play a fast action game? Play 6 ball. $5/$10 nine ball. Why dont you play those fast action pool games? I cant play as well as I used too because of my injury. I don’t remember you looking me up before I was hurt but now I play a couple of balls less, everyone wants to play. BTW 1B1P is a gimmick game. What kind of game doesn’t allow for you to shoot at your hole? 1B1P.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Somehow we never crossed paths and matched up in the golden days of yore. There is no limitation in 1b1p on your ability to shoot at your hole any time you want, just like in regular 1p when you get down to the final ball...same thing, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say with that comment.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I like one ball one pocket when waitin gfor your tournemnt match to start so you do not know how much time you have

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Whats to understand. He's as old school as it gets with one pocket. Got to love him for trying to protect the things he loves and he isn't shy about it. I personally agree with him on this game.
That being said Steve is a think outside the box innovator. Both men love the game so I respect both mens opinions.
Pretty funny that some of the men I grew up around always thought my opinions or love of pool was a joke because I was the weaker player. Their answer was always the gambling response.
Some of the best/simple/ideas/comments/opinions are gained from listening to the players who are newer to the game.
Like when we were in middle school ''lets play six ball'' 9 balls too tough and takes too long.
So there it began.
Some of the most valid/informative/simple ideas come from lower-level players perspectives.
I'm not saying one of the posters is either, just a point of view.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Some of the best/simple/ideas/comments/opinions are gained from listening to the players who are newer to the game.
Like when we were in middle school ''lets play six ball'' 9 balls too tough and takes too long.
So there it began.
Some of the most valid/informative/simple ideas come from lower-level players perspectives.
I'm not saying one of the posters is either, just a point of view.
Well, we've been friends for around 40 yrs now so your probably talking about me...lol

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I'd like to see a ring bank game in the mix somewhere. Purely action - not tournament.

But on Sat. morning there should be a tournament for the players that are out on Friday. Race to 2 double elim. or if there is a small turn out then a RR so the players can meet and play more players. Players play or not. Player's choice to enter or not, but I'd think you'd have to offer it, for those that are out the first day.

I do not get the 1b1p thing, for me it is to much thinking and strategy going on. This would not appeal to me on Thurs before the main tourny.
This MOT I believe they are doing some kind of Bank Tourny on Thurs. I think that is an upgrade over 1b1p. I like 5 Rack Ghost over 1b1p.

But more on the point as far as Steve's new idea for 1b1p, I will defer to Brlongarm, good idea! The faster the action the better!
Whitey

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
When someone was explaining the rules of 1B1P, the first thing I heard was you could not shoot at your hole on the first turn. But my opponent can? My mind went blank afterwards. Ive thought about playing it, what type of return shots would be available. Lots of strategies and banks and kicks. Im like Dennis, a lot of thinking right before the tournament, or action? No.
I ve been playing at Ca Billiards when Susie was doing the books, then Edgies while Cb’s was closed.