Bank Pool Ring Game and One Pocket HOF

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
I was surprised, upon returning home, that I didn't see anything about the Bank Pool Ring Game on the net. Six players put up $2,000 each. They started at $50 a bank and raised it every 45 minutes or so until the bet was $500 per bank.
At that point Shannon had $11,300 of the $12,000, while Brian Gregg had only $700. There were a few balls left on the table. After clearing them Brian had $1,700. Scott Smith told Brian that he had to raise it and how much would be his choice. After thinking about it a minute, Brian said that $800 a bank would be fine. Brian made most of the early banks in this, the last rack. After he and Shannon were about even in money, Brian came to the table and ran seven banks and out to win the money.
At my event in Gulfport last month Shannon ran 8 banks and out to win the $18,000. I then said that that was the best pool I had ever seen and I meant it. But Brian's run was as good a pool and the greatest comeback under pressure that I've ever seen.
I highly recommend that everyone buy this DVD. I haven't listened to the commentary but I can sure vouch for the pool playin'.
For Steve Booth's One Pocket HOF, I called all four magazines. Only Conrad Burkman of Billiard News showed up at the banquet. It turned out to be one of the best evenings of my life, as "Bugs", "Beanie", Diliberto, Ronnie Allen," Freddie the Beard" told stories and honored the new inductees. Efren certainly had fun from the looks of the big smile on his face. "Bugs" was in a wheelchair and not so well, which saddened us all. However this didn't slow him or any of the others down, as pictures were taken, autographs signed, plaques presented and a general great time had by all.
The banquet was completely sold out. Tears were shed ( I think Ronnie and I were the worst). The whole affair was classy. There was much love and respect in that room and I thank Steve Booth for starting something that is long overdue. I cannot wait for next year. Onepocket.org's photos are terrific, and Diana of AZbilliards took many photos that are always top notch.
If your magazine doesn't carry this magnificent story I'd appreciate it if you'd complain. Thanks.

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
The 'banquet' sounded great. I don't suppose you had the foresight to bring me back a 'Dougie bag' and a BEER..
Btw, who filmed the bank pool DVD (Accu-Stats ?), how long is it, who are the commentators and how much does it cost ?
Doug

George Fels

Verified Member
From
Chicago
I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend that banquet, Grady; everything I've heard (largely from Freddy) suggests it was great, and I will do everything I can to publicize this new organization in my magazine.

Just so you're not blindsided, though, my next column will suggest that ring bank pool has a wart or two. Before Brian Gregg's thrilling surge to the victory, you had three hours of tedium on your hands. In my opinion, part of the reason for that is too many players in the field, and part is too many balls on the table. The three-rail kick option has to go; that's simply not bank pool. A better way to open up the offense is Freddy's notion of re-spotting any object ball that ends up in pocket jaws. But no audience is going to enjoy watching star players searching, or even pleading, for defensive roll-out opportunities.

As always, I had a super time in Louisville, and your innovations get a lot of the credit for that. Keep it up. Best regards, GF

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Welcome George,

Nice to see you venture out of the Billiards Digest web site and into this wonderful site dedicate to One Pocket.

The DCC experience only gets better, and Grady's Ring games have proven to be just another GREAT attraction to the already tremendous 3 ring atmoshere that Greg Sullivan created.

Looking forward to your next artilcle, always the first thing I read every month when I get my issue of Billiards Digest.

SactownTom (AKA Tom In Cincy)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I put up a page of photos from the Banks ring game last night:
Ring game photos

I understand ring game winner Brian Gregg dedicated his win to Bugs Rucker -- which was a real class gesture. Brian came to the sold-out banquet and patiently waited about twenty minutes so we could see what we could squeeze in for extra people, and indeed he did get in, and got seated at Bugs' table, where he appeared to have a great time. We were able to squeeze in a few extra people once all the ticket holders got seated -- my apologies to those that were turned away at the door without getting in, however. Next year a bigger room!

Ditto what Tom said about always reading your column first, George!

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Limited to two hours next time

Limited to two hours next time

I've been limited to two hours next time, George, both for the Banks and 10 Ball ring games.Several ways of accheiving this are under consideration.Besides being too slow in parts I'm informed that anything over two hours costs twice as much to produce. Also American audiences seem to shy away from 3 to 5 hour productions. I plan to experiment and what I come back with next year will be faster and more polished.
Welcome to this board, George. I'll look forward to your intelligent participation.
Grady