Could you of called these series of fouls!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
There is a sequence of fouls that occur in accordance in part to the legal shot rules of OP.org. and bcapl rules, of which Ken Shuman was on the rule committee that the developed their rules, which are now set in stone.
The first contested shot of Busty's is not a foul. But there after Dennis's shot actually has two fouls occur within one shot. Then Busty's follow up shot violates Steve's special frozen ball legal shot, and is a foul.

As you guys know I did a complete video covering all of the various legal shot scenarios. I also at that time the video progressed into writing a full legal shot rule.
It had in it; that when the cue ball is frozen to the same rail as the object ball, then the cb can not contact the rail prior to contacting the ob. This is basic 101 of a legal shot rule; when the object is frozen to the rail then the cb can not contact the rail prior to contacting the ob.

Also Steve's special rule of when the cb is in-between the ob and the cushion and frozen to both, then the cb can not be played directly off of the ob and back to the same rail it was once frozen to. Which is exactly what Busty does when he masse's. for this example we are saying he is frozen to that ob.
Note; this is a great rule, for nursing the balls along a rail is an art all of its own in OP, and by rule the ultimate nurse to achieve is to get the cb and ob into the special frozen position of Steve's rule.

Dennis's follow up shot has a very special foul rule occur that very few players, or referees know about. As you notice there is a small gap between the cb and the ob ball. Well when a gap turns into this; the cue tip, cue ball, and ob are all in contact with each other simultaneously then it is a push shot foul. It also violates our new rule 6.8 Close Proximity Foul Criteria, for you will notice the cue ball does not pause before following forward.

Push Shot: is the mystery shot of the ages, for when does it occur, how does it occur, and how is it different than a double hit!
Bill Stock, the chief editor of bcapl, tried for years to define it as to how it is different than double hit, and he even at one time put it in his rules, I contacted him on it, and he wisely decided not to keep it in. Push shot now days, is popularly defined as; when the cue tip stays in contact with the cue ball longer than a normal shot. I find this not to be entirely accurate, for there are shots that are impeded, for example for one, a cushion compression shot, which legally holds the cue tip upon the cue ball longer. A masse' shot is another for the shot is impeded by the resistance force of the table.

So you see they missed it, for how do you get there, and what creates this. So when you break it down, it now becomes simple: when a gap turns into the cue tip, cue ball and object ball all being in contact at the same time, then a push shot foul has occurred. This simultaneous contact is legal of course when the cue ball is frozen to the object ball.

Now a Push Stroke is similar but different. A Push Stroke; is when the cue tip stays in contact with the cue ball as the stroke goes forward. This is a long forgotten foul rule/scenario, but is the way today's Push Shot foul should be defined! But it is the one way and only way a frozen cue ball shot (cue ball frozen to an object ball) can be fouled, by pushing it with the cue tip remaining upon the cue ball as the stroke goes forward, which further means; you can not lay the cue tip upon the cue ball, pause, and then push forward, it has to be one continuous stroke. This is also in Mosconi's Red Book, one continuous stroke.

*****Pertaining to the above: A good rule of thumb; when tapping the cue ball, tap it on an angle to the ob, that way you are not pushing it, and thus trapping it within the stack, and therefore angle tapping eliminates risking an illegal trap being called.

This is one of the most important rules, and very important for OP. For it occurs in stack play, and also in rail play, such as with the Paul Newman Hustler bank shot. It can also occur singly upon the cue ball, for the cue tip can ride the cue ball into an object ball, a very rare foul, but a trained eye can easily pick up on this, and yes it does occur, I have witnessed it several times.

But slow down the video and you will see this push shot foul occur, followed up by the ob dribbling along the rail, which is another foul accept for in WPA.

I hope you guys can grasp this, for that means I explained it clearly. These are all advance rules, but this is the 21st Century, and yet they are not clearly depicted. But all it is really is depicting what we witness every day in a game of pool, but the difference is; getting the knowledge, and then using it and being able to recognize a foul when you see it. But, just how do players get this knowledge since no rule governing body depicts this in their general rules,

Without this knowledge to properly call fouls, as we witness in the above series of fouls, then obviously the game of OP gets degraded to a lower standard of play.
Kudos to Steve, for adopting the 6.8 Close Proximity foul criteria; this represent the first initial step taken by any rule making body to transform rules out of the stone age into the the 21st century. As you can see by the above there is more transformation needed.

Can we say Ken S. missed calling a foul, no, we can not, for it might of been allowed for an ob to dribble upon a rail. Bcapl recognizes a simultaneous hit upon a ball frozen to a rail as a legal shot, that is one of the suggestions I made to them and they adopted it. But the general rules are not advanced enough to call the push shot foul that occurred, so he could not call that either. Plus general rules only state a double hit is a foul, but do not depict how to determine a double hit. And I am the only one that has depicted a legal shot when the cb and ob are frozen to the same rail.
Whitey

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Whitey, your dedication to the improvement of the game is more than admirable. We are fortunate to have you here.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, your dedication to the improvement of the game is more than admirable. We are fortunate to have you here.
Thanks vapros! When I re-looked at what I wrote, I was amazed by how lengthy it became. I could go on with much more detailed information on what is a foul or not a foul, I could add videos, and diagrams and so forth, but I'll leave it at this for know.

But, I am glad you responded, and I hope you actually could grasp the contents.
Thanks to the viewers, I hope this is somewhat helpful.
Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I guess I should summarize my long windedness.

1. when the shot goes from a separation between the cb and ob to the cue tip, cb and ob all being in contact at the same time, it is a push shot foul. This is recognizable and called by standing perpendicular to the shot and viewing the cb at the contact point of the ob, and if a legal shot occurs; then the cb will exhibit a slight pause before following or backing up.

2. When the cb is frozen to an ob then it is legal to stroke direct towards the ob and through the cb providing it is one continuous stroke, with no pause and then push through, and the cue tip can not stay in contact with the cb as the stroke goes forward, this results in a prolonged cue tip contact time/push stroke foul.

3. When a cb is in-between the rail and ob and frozen to both then the cb can not be played directly off of the ob and back to the same rail it was frozen to.

4. When the cb and ob are frozen to the same rail, then the cb has to leave that rail and then contact that ob and then back to the that same rail, or the ob must be pocketed or contact another rail.

I did a video on rule line 3 and 4, and no one disagreed that this is how a legal shot should be played in these scenarios.

I hope this is more helpful, the other is a handful to read and decipher.
thanks again!
Whitey

Last edited: