Deflection with Pool shaft vs Carom shaft against 3C balls.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think this is the poorest of poor defection tests I have seen. First off he is using backhand english, which is not a true deflection test. It also makes a difference if he is hitting on the center line or below or above, for it changes the rotation axes.
A true deflection test would not use backhand english, but parallel english in line with the target. Now measure and you will get the true deflection.

Whatever type of stroke backhand or conventional, once your stroke develops then you can stay closer to on center.
Let your follow through stroke do the work.

i have noticed on certain 3C cushions that players go way outside with their english, so it is important that you adjust for this much deflection. Know your cue, but also know your stroke, and speed of stroke is another factor of deflection.

Well it is all probably pretty confusing. I suggest if you are having problems with defection then spend a month working on nothing but cue ball deflection.

I've learned the forehand stroke, which of such great value in stack play. It seems weird but you have to trust it and that takes putting in some work. But you aim directly at your target and then put the forehand english on it. It works for shorter shots. This is important for on shorter shots you will get more deflection than on longer shots. When i was doing a lot of 5 rack ghost this stroke was invaluable.

I've noticed that most all 3C players use a conventional parallel stroke.
thanks for the thread!
Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I think this is the poorest of poor defection tests I have seen. First off he is using backhand english, which is not a true deflection test. It also makes a difference if he is hitting on the center line or below or above, for it changes the rotation axes.
A true deflection test would not use backhand english, but parallel english in line with the target. Now measure and you will get the true deflection.

Whitey
Although I agree with what you have said, I think if the aim line stays consistent no matter if parallel or backhand English line, you can still get a true deflection result.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
12squared, I agree. What is crazy about this video, he is aiming what looks like 3 inches from where the cb actually strikes the target, which is the center diamond. I'd say that was a lot of deflection or poor execution.

Mr3C, I know that is how you aim, and I believe that is the way most 3c players aim, at least with the videos you have put up that is what I have noticed.
Thanks for putting up this thread, for it reminds that I need to spend some serious time working on inside reverse english shots!
Whitey

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Seems like an appropriate holiday topic - 'cause it's scaring me.

Back-hand English :alien:👺
Fore-hand Stroke 🪚🪓🪝

Thank goodness I'll have time to forget about it completely before I get back to a table.