Interesting article in Cinci paper

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Someone tipped me off to a feature on 'Clem' Metz's mother -- pretty impressive!

Community Press said:
At 108, Metz is still 'feisty'
BY ADAM ROSING | AROSING@NKY.COM

FLORENCE - Helen Metz came into this world on April 28 at the turn of the 19th to the 20th century, more than 108 years ago.

The world has changed in almost unimaginable ways since her birth.

Consider this, the U.S. has had 19 presidents; women now have the right to vote; automobiles, radio, television, and the Internet have been invented; and numerous wars have taken place, most notably World Wars I and II.

Celebrating her birthday on Monday with family, friends, and center staff, Helen looks frail and gets around using a wheelchair, however, her attitude is still bright and spunky.

Carol Hyde, Helen's primary caretaker, has known her since she moved into the nursing home in January 2004.

"She is a wonderful, feisty little lady," Hyde said. "She enjoys sitting outside, visiting the nurses station, and having coffee and donuts with the night shift staff."

Born in Cincinnati's Sayler Park in 1900, Metz's family moved to Chicago when she was just 12 years old. It was there where she met Charles, her late husband who passed away in 1977, and began her career as a manicurist. She and Charles, a barber, most notably manicured and groomed the hair of Al Capone, this country's most notorious mobster.

Don Metz, Helen's 56-year-old grandson, said his grandma ventured into numerous careers throughout her life.

"She was a manicurist, a nurse, and then an apartment complex manager into the 1970s. I used to help her out with jobs around the complex on the weekends," he said.

She also used to be an avid gardener.

"She loved being out in the garden ... she was pretty much a perfectionist," Don said.

Helen and Charles have one son, 77-year-old Eugene Metz; three grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. A great-great-grandchild is expected to be born in July.

The highlight of her party was a violinist. Helen said she enjoys the violin, because it reminds her of her husband.

"Whenever he got to feeling blue or sad then he would take out the violin and just play," she said.

And if you're looking for a magical secret as to why Helen has lived such a long life, she said it is simple.

"I never smoke or drank."
http://news.communitypress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/misc?url=/misc/photos_single.pbs&IDato=20080425&IKategori=NEWS01&ID=804250358

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice story

Nice story

Nice story, Steve. The Metz's sound like they spring from that great German tradition in the Cincinnati area. Tough, hardy souls, but with a love for the arts. With that lineage, it's no wonder why Clem Metz became a fierce competitor on the green baize!

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Memories !

Memories !

In my late teens/early 20's, I was leasing a small pool room in Fairborn, Ohio.
I (and some of my fans) thought I was the greatest 9-ball player in the world.
Much to our dismay, that was not the case. Clem slipped in one day and gave me the drubbing I deserved. Did not find out who he was until some time later. He was a smooth operater, and a Hell of a player. Took me a long
time to recover (at ten & twenty-five cents a rack) from the $150.00 beating I took. Great excerpt on his mom Steve.

Dick

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Excerpt from 1pkt.org interview

Excerpt from 1pkt.org interview

From my 1pkt.org interview with Steve Booth:

"...He's another guy that didn't like pool. I'll tell you how tough Clem was: he beat Eddie Taylor and Johnny Vives playing One‑Pocket. The bad thing was, as good as he played … if you beat him he was liable to stick you up and take it back! He was hardcore. Tough as it was to beat the guy, if somebody did luck out, they were liable to get stuck up. He might put the gun on you, that's how rough things were then."

the Beard

Cliff Joyner and Incardona's 1pkt DVDs available on my site at cut rates.