Is it legal or illegal?

opposedtwin

Verified Member
From
Tennessee
While attempting to shoot over a couple balls I found my fingers too short and use of the bridge not available due to other obstructing balls. So I asked my opponent if it was okay to lay the bridge on the table on which I could place my fingertips allowing me to shoot the shot. He said it was illegal. Neither of us actually knew the true answer but he referred to Earl Strickland not being allowed to use fingertip extensions and said using the bridgehead would fall under that same decision. Sounded reasonable to me so played a safe. Has anyone encountered this situation or know the applicable rule?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have seen someone (I think Corey Deuel) do it in one of the YouTube matches and they let him, but personally I don't think it should be allowed. That is not the intended use of the bridge. I don't see it anywhere in our rules but it probably falls under the regular BCA rules. I am sure Whitey , Steve, Bob or someone else who knows the rules better will chime in.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

the above is from the wpa rules
the bridge is used to support your cue not your hand
so to me
to answer your question it is illegal
elsewhere it mentions you can stack 2 bridges together

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

the above is from the wpa rules
the bridge is used to support your cue not your hand
so to me
to answer your question it is illegal
elsewhere it mentions you can stack 2 bridges together
The UNILOCK bridges are made to stack together but few folks know to do it.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
A one-pocket player in Ohio has developed a dog-leg bridge with a pneumatic ball joint, to get into those really tough places. It has been submitted for approval and may appear on the TV table at the coming US Open tournament. What next?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
To my mind, the world rules are not that clear about this question. lll quoted the section under unsportsmanlike conduct, but this is the actual Use of equipment section:

(c) Mechanical Bridges – The player may use up to two mechanical bridges to support the cue​
stick during the shot. The configuration of the bridges is up to the player. He may use his own​
bridge if it is similar to standard bridges.​
"Support the cue" to me is a little vague, in that even if your hand is in between, you are still indirectly supporting the cue. And they clearly state that the "configuration of the bridges is up to the player." That leaves a LOT of leeway, if you ask me. They should just say something like, "must directly support the cue stick; no device or object of any kind may be used to support the bridge hand". Some of the other rules, like CSI are clearer:

OFFICIAL RULES OF CUESPORTS INTERNATIONAL
10. Mechanical Bridges
The primary consideration for determining whether a mechanical bridge is legal is
that it supports the cue, as opposed to elevating the bridge hand above the bed of the
table or significantly enhancing the stability of the hand holding the bridge.
The particular construction of the bridge is not relevant as long as it does no more​
than support the cue, and does not damage the table or other equipment. Items that​
are not considered disqualifying include, but are not limited to:​
  • The overall size, or the height of grooves above the bed of the table;
  • whether there is a handle, sliding extensions, wheels, or accommodations to
    straddle balls;
  • the shape of grooves;
  • whether the grooves have linings or mechanisms to retain the cue in the groove.
I put in italics the opening sentence -- you can see they make a point of noting the bridge has to support the cue stick, not the hand.

beatle

Verified Member
all rules need to be crystal clear.

but no matter what you do someone will take issue with them for their immediate benefit. you just have to deal with that in the game either personally or with an outsider ruling.

Reactions: lll

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
By the letter of the law as written I believe it would be legal to lie a bridge stick across the table and then somehow use that cross bridge to support a second bridge — if you could figure out how to do that lol. Maybe use your hand in between, holding in on to the second bridge head??

beatle

Verified Member
i doint think so steve. as the original rules for the bridge as set up in tournaments was that it had to be used as intended.

loose definition but should be taken as meaning putting your stick on the head of the bridge to replace using your hand, or bridges if using two.

same as one foot on the floor. a person cant bring along a 3 foot long shoe and slip it on before a shot and climb on the table.

its like the law. it is what a resonable person would interpret it as, for most events.