Jimmy Matz

Jan Sabo

I grew up in Reading & Jimmy Matz & I were good friends. He was the best player I ever saw. Jimmy Caras, a 9 time world champion, was at Kutztown College to give an exibition. He said I heard that there is some kid here who thinks he can beat me. Jimy Matz won 125 to 71. He visited me in Miami & we went to a room were he played Larry Lascoti. Larry didn't know who Jimmy was & gave him 2 balls. Jimmy ate him up. Larry said you are as good as anyone in the world. He beat Mizerak for a world 9 ball title. I was a good player & Jimmy would give me 75 in a 100 pointer with me breaking. We played countless games & I never won. Often he would run 100 & out. He was the best shot maker, position player & best safe player. How do you beat that. Frank Wigo mentioned some players I played in Reading in the 60's & early 70's before I moved away. Buddy Ellis ( who had a stoke like Jim Rempe) Larry Swaz & Mac Duncan. I played Mac at Paraidse bowling & billiards on s 9th st. He was becoming a good player that was a good boxer with fast hands the he used to light up a racist a**hole that was always picking on him. Everyone cheered. The last I saw Jimmy, I was driving through Pennside going to visit my mother & he was walking in a light rain. I picked him up & he was off, almost like a stroke victim. I heard that he substained a serious head injury in an auto crash & it was obvious that the damage was permanent. Years later I asked a friend from Reading about Jimmy & he told me Jimmy took his own life. What a shame. He had a god given talent! I was in Reading last Sept.visiting old friends when I tried to look up Ace. I stopped at Berks Lanes in Shillington & just missed him. I am going to be in Reading, Best Western in Shillington, from Sept 16th to the 21st & will try Berks Lanes again. I just started playing again after 22 yrs & it is definitly not like riding a bicycle. Things change in 22 yrs & I am having a rough time. Very humbling.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Jan, 'Welcome'!
I really enjoyed your post. Hopefully others will recall you and your playing friend Matz. Matz really brought it on, thanks for sharing this!
I too left the game for over 20 yrs, and wow, what a difference.
thanks, Whitey