Oklahoma’s Formidable Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack by Rabbi Hippie on PoolHistory.com

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
R. A. "Jake" Dyer has posted an extract from my book about Glenn "The Eufaula Kid" Womack on his website, PoolHistory.com.

Billiards Digest columnist George Fels once said that in the era of so-called “Rebel traps” tables with tight pockets, that Glenn Womack was among those southerners universally considered as unbeatable. Womack even tangled with the legendary Johnny “Irish” Lineen during the 1940s — and held his own. Remarked billiards writer Eddie Robin: “Anyone who could play ‘Irish’ even up in those days should be considered an all-time great, win or lose.”

During his 63 years, Glenn “The Eufaula Kid” Womack was an actor, an athlete, a soldier, and a bootlegger. But mostly he was a pool player — and for awhile he was one of America’s best. Here’s a look back.

Please check-out Jake's wonderful site for the rest of the story plus many more stories about One Pocket and Johnston City. It's a real treasure trove.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I think Johnny 'Irish' Lineen along with Fats must have been the father's of OP in NY. Jersey Red and Ervolino must of learned OP from him!
We need to know more about Irish's OP prowess. I believe his influence on OP is obvious with Jersey Red going to Texas.

Thanks for posting this! I am going to enjoy reading this!
Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I wish there were more known about Johnny "Irish", especially about his background. Freddy B. has a few paragraphs about Lineen in Freddy's The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers, but he admitted it was all second hand. He claimed they all claimed Lineen was the best. Evidently he died in 1964.

There may be a few references to Lineen in some of Steve's interviews of old timers. Reportedly no one was able to play Irish even at any game. He had to spot everyone. One of the early one-pocket experts and devotees. In my view he deserves to be in the HOF.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I wish there were more known about Johnny "Irish", especially about his background. Freddy B. has a few paragraphs about Lineen in Freddy's The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers, but he admitted it was all second hand. He claimed they all claimed Lineen was the best. Evidently he died in 1964.

There may be a few references to Lineen in some of Steve's interviews of old timers. Reportedly no one was able to play Irish even at any game. He had to spot everyone. One of the early one-pocket experts and devotees. In my view he deserves to be in the HOF.
Thanks Doc!
I mean who goes over to Howard Worst's house after he became the world's 3 cushion billiard champion, and plays him on his own table and beats him. Then Irish takes the bus back to his pool room home and goes back to sleep.
But who else would Jersey Red have learned OP from if it was not Irish. There has to be a connection there. Jersey Red stated; "Irish is the best player I have ever seen".
Irish entered the world's pocket billiard championship and was beating the top players but his illness took over and he had to retire from the event. His illness kept him from the recognition he would of had.
If there can be evidence of his OP play, then he should be in hall of fame somewhere. He just can not get the votes.
Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks Doc!
I mean who goes over to Howard Worst's house after he became the world's 3 cushion billiard champion, and plays him on his own table and beats him. Then Irish takes the bus back to his pool room home and goes back to sleep.
But who else would Jersey Red have learned OP from if it was not Irish. There has to be a connection there. Jersey Red stated; "Irish is the best player I have ever seen".
Irish entered the world's pocket billiard championship and was beating the top players but his illness took over and he had to retire from the event. His illness kept him from the recognition he would of had.
If there can be evidence of his OP play, then he should be in hall of fame somewhere. He just can not get the votes.
Whitey
Yeah, the guys who aren't curious about 1P's history are not familiar with Lineen's name, so they are not moved to vote for him. Another problem is that there's likely no one to accept the award on his behalf. There are hardly even any pictures of him. Still, he was a great player, and he's a major figure in 1P lore, so it would be nice to have him in the HOF. We didn't know much about Hayden Lingo either, but it was important to induct him.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
I think Johnny 'Irish' Lineen along with Fats must have been the father's of OP in NY. Jersey Red and Ervolino must of learned OP from him!
We need to know more about Irish's OP prowess. I believe his influence on OP is obvious with Jersey Red going to Texas.

Thanks for posting this! I am going to enjoy reading this!
Whitey
In The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies, Minnesota Fats says that Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes beat him back to New York City with the game of One Pocket. Both men learned the game from its inventor, Jack Hill, in Oklahoma. Cokes in 1916 and Fats in 1928.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
Yeah, the guys who aren't curious about 1P's history are not familiar with Lineen's name, so they are not moved to vote for him. Another problem is that there's likely no one to accept the award on his behalf. There are hardly even any pictures of him. Still, he was a great player, and he's a major figure in 1P lore, so it would be nice to have him in the HOF. We didn't know much about Hayden Lingo either, but it was important to induct him.
There's a whole chapter of new information about Hayden Lingo that will be in the book. It took a lot of research, but I learned quite a bit about his early years as a player in the 1930s, long before Johnston City.