WWYD Caveat

B_White

I see a lot of the WWYD posts and I think they are pretty cool. One thing that I don’t see talked about a lot is probably one of the most important considerations when thinking about your next shot. And that is the level of your opponent. For example if your opponent is not great at ball pocketing or ball running a good shot is almost always send something towards your hole and put them close to the top rail. That would not be the same playing against a great ball runner. In my opinion two questions you should ask yourself before every single shot you shoot is the score of the game and the ability of my opponent.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I see a lot of the WWYD posts and I think they are pretty cool. One thing that I don’t see talked about a lot is probably one of the most important considerations when thinking about your next shot. And that is the level of your opponent. For example if your opponent is not great at ball pocketing or ball running a good shot is almost always send something towards your hole and put them close to the top rail. That would not be the same playing against a great ball runner. In my opinion two questions you should ask yourself before every single shot you shoot is the score of the game and the ability of my opponent.
Back in my day it was called , '1 Pocket 101!'

P.S. That remedial element is essential when gambling. In a tournament, you may face an opponent with not much background.

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I agree with this. I have always been taught that both balls have a destination and you need to make sure they both end up in your favor. John Lavin taught me that when I first started playing one pocket 27+ years ago.

beatle

Verified Member
if you can tie your own shoe laces that can be figured out after about playing one pocket twice.

what you need to learn is the % of both yours and his chances of completeing each outcome presented with.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I remember Grady saying he liked to take a long shot off the end rail early in any match against any player he was playing for the first time, so they did not get the idea they could simply send whitey up there all the time.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I remember Grady saying he liked to take a long shot off the end rail early in any match against any player he was playing for the first time, so they did not get the idea they could simply send whitey up there all the time.
That's the first place Artie sent 'Straight shooter's' on a 5'x10' table! Sort of to give them a blood test.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That's the first place Artie sent 'Straight shooter's' on a 5'x10' table! Sort of to give them a blood test.
Yes but what Grady is saying is he wanted to show his opponent early on that he was unafraid to shoot from there — so the flip side of what you are saying 😀

It’s the same idea but the other player 😄

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Yes but what Grady is saying is he wanted to show his opponent early on that he was unafraid to shoot from there — so the flip side of what you are saying 😀

It’s the same idea but the other player 😄
The difference being, is that after the shooter shot it the first time and made it, and acted like he'll shoot it again. Artie would let them know not to worry, He'll leave it again! Naturally, after a few 'missed' attempts from the end bump, their decision making was less positive!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The difference being, is that after the shooter shot it the first time and made it, and acted like he'll shoot it again. Artie would let them know not to worry, He'll leave it again! Naturally, after a few 'missed' attempts from the end bump, their decision making was less positive!
Regarding the opening post I would assume that would depend a great deal on Artie‘s opponent! Don’t forget, it’s not all about coming with a long shot from up there; it’s how your opponent moves from up there too. Personally one of the things I really like about being sent up table is that almost always gives me multiple moving choices — assuming that’s all it is, meaning I’m left up table but not trapped right behind a ball top of course. Yeah but of course if Artie has a straight shooting sucker willing to take several I’ll advised shots from up north - by all means he would head back up there, I would think.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Regarding the opening post I would assume that would depend a great deal on Artie‘s opponent! Don’t forget, it’s not all about coming with a long shot from up there; it’s how your opponent moves from up there too. Personally one of the things I really like about being sent up table is that almost always gives me multiple moving choices — assuming that’s all it is, meaning I’m left up table but not trapped right behind a ball top of course. Yeah but of course if he has a sucker willing to take several I’ll advised shots from up north - by all means he would head back up there, I would think.
Well, if you put, Jimmy Reid, Jersey Red, Joey Spathe, Cole Dixon, Mexican Johnny, Texas Blood, Cecil Tugwell, Nick Varner, David Howard, Grady, Bugs...,in the category of 'Suckers'! They All tried to play off the end rail, in the end None succeeded! Also, Table 13 at Bensingers, like all the old tables had big pockets 5" maybe +. Artie saved the freezing the straight shooters to the rack or a ball on a 4'.5x9' table.

P.S. You state you don't mind the end rail, (more options and all that) for defensive shots. Not even the Top players play, 'slow-roll' safety shots well from the end rail, especially on a 5'x10.' So, that dog don't hunt.