Chris's One Pocket tournament next weekend

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Larry Nevel wins the tournament - Ike Runnels comes in 2nd place - 3rd place Gil H. - and 4th place Jeff Carter...Jeff representing us senior citizens and still playing very good these days.

PS, Ghost did not play in the tournament - would have had to show too much speed to certain players that were there...:eek:...:heh...;)...:D

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Larry Nevel wins the tournament - Ike Runnels comes in 2nd place - 3rd place Gil H. - and 4th place Jeff Carter...Jeff representing us senior citizens and still playing very good these days.

PS, Ghost did not play in the tournament - would have had to show too much speed to certain players that were there...:eek:...:heh...;)...:D

I am going to write a little account of my experience at Chris's Pool Room's one-pocket tournament.

Chris's one pocket tournament usually begins around 1:30 in the afternoon even though the colorful poster always advertises, "Starts at Noon." I like the unofficial late start because I'm usually out and about until 4 or 5 in the morning, then get a few hours of nap time, and sleepily stroll into the tournament about 1 pm. It works for me.

Somehow, someway I got there early for this past Saturday's one pocket tournament. At 11 in the morning, I hoisted myself and Cognoscenti cue stick up the last few stairs of the best pool room in Chicago (with Nick's Billiards soon to be and Red Shoes Billiards being the best in the Chicagoland area). That should get me some free time. On the last step, I looked keenly about to see who were the "early bird" players. Sometimes Chris's tournament has a level playing field but mostly there are a few monsters who only beat up on themselves when they lose and then get a new chance to beat up on the less skilled players in the loser's bracket. Damn! The first "early bird" players I seen practicing at separate tables were all monsters. Larry Nevel, Ike Runnels, and Jeff Carter. As the tournament played out, it really didn't matter. I didn't play any of the monsters. I found a new monster. I lost my first match on the winner's side and later my last match to get "in the money" on the loser's side to the new monster. Who is the new monster? Sergio Rivas (I believe this is the correct spelling of his name) or maybe I should just call him Sergio Frankenstein. He is an exceptionally talented young player from Wisconsin. He could have easily have won the one pocket tournament having gone hill-hill against the eventual winner, Larry Nevel, and later hill-hill on the loser's side against the 3rd place finisher, Gil Hernandez.

Yet this old man ain't scared of a few monsters. Ain't scared of a new monster either. I don't even care if there are only big monsters in the tournament. I'm going to get my money in and play all the monsters. But I will not play a Ghost. Now that would scare the hell out of me!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Sergio is a fine player. He stayed the summer down here with Sky and ran around to tournaments with some impressive finishes when he was only 16. He had to leave when school started back up. Seemed like a nice young man. How old is he now? 18 or 19?

Grayback1973

Verified Member
Sergio is an extremely skilled player and had Larry on the ropes but Larry found a way to win.I watched the whole match,it was great.Finally got to meet The Ghost! Been reading his posts for a few years and never knew who he was.Bruce,you're a good guy and it was nice meeting you.

P.S.---- Good write up Rawski and quite frankly I think of you as one of the monsters...lol

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sergio is an extremely skilled player and had Larry on the ropes but Larry found a way to win.I watched the whole match,it was great.Finally got to meet The Ghost! Been reading his posts for a few years and never knew who he was.Bruce,you're a good guy and it was nice meeting you.

P.S.---- Good write up Rawski and quite frankly I think of you as one of the monsters...lol

Good to meet you too John..don't be a stranger, come on down to Chris's once in awhile - your old friend John D'amato (John/johnnytronic from my wwyd's) and I are always there on Sat. afternoons.

As for my old pal J.Rawski...yeah, he's a monster alright - but that's off of the pool table, not on it...:D

- Ghost