Don McCaughey from Des Moines?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Through the "Contact Us" page I received an inquiry about a player whose name I am not familiar with. Can any of you all help?
Steve, I just thought I would ask what you know about Don McCaughey from Des Moines IA. I have heard that if you can get him out of Des Moines that he can play with the best of them I just wonder why nobody never talks about his game? Thought you might give me a little info on this subject. Thank you

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
His name is Don McCoy

His name is Don McCoy

His name is Don McCoy and he can play. Very hard to beat in DesMoines. He gave Artie a try in Chicago and naturally, didnt like it. Broke many a player who stumbled into DesMoines. Great relatively unknown player. He tried me banks at a tournament with no success.

the Beard
Bank on, brother! Old school pool.

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
Don McCoy beat a lot of top players.

Don McCoy beat a lot of top players.

He played quite a lot here in St. Louis back in the '70's & '80's and won most of the time. I ran into him often On The Road years ago. A very nice guy and always a gentleman. When he was at the top of his game - nobody had to beat him at nine ball. More of a player than a hustler.

TY & GL

Ps. - Steve - There is some talk (over at AZ) about AZ & OnePocket.org Sharing a private room w/ table in the main hall at the DCC. What are your thoughts on this? - Tom

Last edited:

t-dog

Verified Member
Don

Don

I saw around Des Moines awile ago when our new hall opened. I never see him around and never in action. I guess he taught Frost alot about the game. There were rumors that he was going to open another hall but that was a good year ago.

ironman

Verified Member
Don Mcoy

Don Mcoy

Is Don still in Des Moines? Don was one hell of a 9-ball player. One had to really come with to beat him. Nice guy!
He was a player too. Not much Hustle to him, just kick your butt type of guy.

underdog

Verified Member
Don McCaughey

Don McCaughey

It is pronounced McCoy but spelled McCaughey.
When Efren made such a splash the the US and had destroyed most of the US professionals, he was asked by a pool publication...Which American was the best player. He replied that he had played many but Don McCaughey had the best stroke of all.
He wasn't noted for his bank play but his nine ball and one pocket were superb.
A funny story about a road trip that Don was on.
A small group of guys went to Buddy Hall's home court where Don played and beat Buddy. They decided to go to Nashville area and knew that after beating Buddy that they were being watched for.
They went into JC Penny's and bought cover-alls. They also bought some ball caps from a Texaco gasoline station. Convinced that their disguise was perfectThey went around as gas attendants who just got off work. They got no action. They finally asked one of the local "sweaters' why no one would play them. He just pointed at one of the stake horses who was wearing a set of coveralls and cap. He said "Next time y'all come down here you might leave the alligator belt and alligator shoes at home. ROFLMAO

Don comes to KC every now and then to play in a one pocket tourney. He still has that smooth stroke and style. I was hoping that he would have been here this weekend but I didn't see him.

bluekckid

Don

Don

I dont know if they keep records from the DCC but he had a high finish there within the last few years in one pocket,not sure what year,ive heard that back in the seventys he matched up in the kansas city area on afew occasion,not sure of his age,from what ive heard he was in his late teens or early twentys back then.Scott Frost would probably know more he was from/ or used to live in Iowa. hope this helps. ;)

rrtrgt@live.com

Don McCoy

Don McCoy

I used to play Don McCoy when I was fourteen or fifteen at "The Hole", Des Moines Billiards. We are about the same age. Omaha Fats, we called him Omaha Martin, used to let me play pool for free after school for racking tables when he was in a nine ball game. Martin used to play one handed to get a bet and sometimes would take his shirt off to play. He was a character. I saw Don play after we grew up and he was awesome. Another great player at the Hole was Paul Baker. I got to know him a little better because he had a band and my brother was a guitar player. Great pool players.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Thats a ...

Thats a ...

...nice story underdog,reminds me of the picture of Jack Dempsey in the shipyards in Philly around WW1 with coveralls and patent leather shoes showing just enough to bust em when he was trying to beat the "slacker" label.....america,the best and the brightest...cheers,James

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I used to play Don McCoy when I was fourteen or fifteen at "The Hole", Des Moines Billiards. We are about the same age. Omaha Fats, we called him Omaha Martin, used to let me play pool for free after school for racking tables when he was in a nine ball game. Martin used to play one handed to get a bet and sometimes would take his shirt off to play. He was a character. I saw Don play after we grew up and he was awesome. Another great player at the Hole was Paul Baker. I got to know him a little better because he had a band and my brother was a guitar player. Great pool players.

I think maybe "Martin" was Marty Keimer (SP?) who spent time in KC and Denver in the years after what you're talking about. Short and heavy-set, talked a blue streak, called everybody "Pal" (with sarcastic inflection) and played well one-handed.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think maybe "Martin" was Marty Keimer (SP?) who spent time in KC and Denver in the years after what you're talking about. Short and heavy-set, talked a blue streak, called everybody "Pal" (with sarcastic inflection) and played well one-handed.

Not too sure about, Martin Keimer, but, Martin Kaiman, AKA "Omaha Fats," was a pretty damn good hustler.

bstroud

Verified Member
Marty was called "Omaha Fats" by most of the people I knew.

I played Don McCoy several times. He and "Kenny the Truck Driver" from Columbus were two of the toughest local 9 ball players during the time I was on the road.

Bill S.

rrtrgt@live.com

Martin Kaiman, Don McGaughey, Paul Baker, and a fellow called Archer, last name, were all great players from Des Moines.

It is pronounced McCoy but spelled McCaughey.
When Efren made such a splash the the US and had destroyed most of the US professionals, he was asked by a pool publication...Which American was the best player. He replied that he had played many but Don McCaughey had the best stroke of all.
He wasn't noted for his bank play but his nine ball and one pocket were superb.
A funny story about a road trip that Don was on.
A small group of guys went to Buddy Hall's home court where Don played and beat Buddy. They decided to go to Nashville area and knew that after beating Buddy that they were being watched for.
They went into JC Penny's and bought cover-alls. They also bought some ball caps from a Texaco gasoline station. Convinced that their disguise was perfectThey went around as gas attendants who just got off work. They got no action. They finally asked one of the local "sweaters' why no one would play them. He just pointed at one of the stake horses who was wearing a set of coveralls and cap. He said "Next time y'all come down here you might leave the alligator belt and alligator shoes at home. ROFLMAO

Don comes to KC every now and then to play in a one pocket tourney. He still has that smooth stroke and style. I was hoping that he would have been here this weekend but I didn't see him.