Banking My way To Heaven

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Leonard “Bugs” Rucker

Bugs was his name and pool was his game. He was a dream come true, Bugs wanted to be a great pool hustler and that is what he became. The older he got the better he played. His reputation grew bigger the better he got. He became more intimidating and he beat everyone. He played for the money not for the glory. Bugs was fearless and his aggressive style was awesome to watch. I remember the memories we lived and shared. I will remember Bugs. We played each other about 25 times. Every where we would meet we would play each other, it was our thing. We were both pool hustlers and we both loved action. Everyone was scared to play Bugs. Bugs and I loved the competition and that is why we loved playing each other. We have many stories and it was very exciting each time we played. We never talked while we played either. There were no cheap shots taken by either one of us, by checking each others rack, or by stealing balls or by forgetting to spot a scratch. Everything was above board. We never had a discrepancy and we had too much respect to cheat each other.
Bugs was a fierce competitor and when you played Bugs he would run out from anywhere on the table. He was a run out player and Bugs and Ronnie Allen were the best two run out players in life. Bugs and Taylor were the greatest two bankers in life. And Taylor might have been a little bit more consistent, but Bugs had more heart. Bugs would bet all the money on one game. If Taylor and Bugs would play in a tough neighborhood on bad equipment I would bet on Bugs because he had more heart and he was used to bad conditions. Taylor and Bugs were in a class by themselves. The two most intimidating one pocket players were Ronnie Allen and Bugs. And watching them play was very special. In their prime they would fill a stadium. I have had many great experiences with Bugs and they were all fun and exciting. Bugs was like a brother to me and at the end of his journey Bugs would tell me every time we talked for months he also loved me like a brother. Bugs always looked out for me and if someone would bother me he would step in and say he is with me and if you want a problem you and me can go outside and straighten it out. No one wanted a problem with bugs. He hung out with a tough crowd and everyone liked Bugs and Bugs was their hero. Bugs was to pool what Muhammad Ali was to boxing. I have known and been friends with Bugs for forty years. We never had an argument or disagreement. Bugs loved life and he never gave up. He once told me, Artie don’t ever give up and that is exactly what he did all the way to the end even though the odds were against him. I loved Bugs not for what he did but for who he was, a great man. There will only be one Bugs the unique kid with talent and an innocent smile that people loved and admired. His great attitude and love for people always showed his true colors.
Bugs was a cool character and people would point and say that’s Bugs the best bank pool player in the world. He had a very powerful nickname and a reputation to go with it. He was really in a class by himself. Bugs could have been anything he wanted to be, a pro baseball player, a pro basket ball player but he chose to become a champion pool player and hustler. Back in those days there were no tournaments so it was like this, hustle pool, get a job, or starve to death. He lived a good full exciting life. He was always his own boss and did it his way. I will miss Bugs and I’m sure the rest of the world will too.
Bugs never backed down from a challenge and loved competition. I remember a guy named Sunshine, he idolized Bugs in every way. He tried to bank like Bugs and even act like bugs. He would try to talk and walk and even dress like Bugs. He would say Bugs is the coolest guy on the planet. He was a younger version of Bugs and became a pretty good banker. Sunshine had a lot of talent but the rough pool environment got the best of him.
Bugs was ahead of his time in everything from talking, walking, dressing you name it. Bugs was the coolest man alive. And for all you rap stars and musicians I got news for you Bugs did it all fifty years ago. And he was a natural not a want to be cool guy. Bugs had an unbelievable following everywhere he went. Everyone wanted to see Bugs play. He was a great showman and when he got down to shoot you knew he was a great player. It was like watching Babe Ruth or Hank Aron at the plate. He had class and style like know one else. When he went to put powder on his hands he would get it all over the pool table. It looked like someone spilled a bag of cocaine on the table. I will always remember Bugs and I hope one day we will be together again. I know Bugs good friend Paul Jones will be waiting at the gate for him. They will be together in paradise. Bugs journey is just beginning and God wrapped his hands around him and said come with me Bugs to paradise you’ve suffered long enough.
My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and everyone that knew him. Good bye, my friend.

Arthur Bodendorfer

Larry Schwartz

Verified Member
Artie tells it like it is

Artie tells it like it is

Artie, that was a very touching post. You really know how to tell it like it is. I will miss Bugs also, in particular his great stroke, his ability to do everything well, and the way he always carried himself with class. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family, fans, and friends.

Larry Schwartz

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Leonard “Bugs” Rucker

Bugs was his name and pool was his game. He was a dream come true, Bugs wanted to be a great pool hustler and that is what he became. The older he got the better he played. His reputation grew bigger the better he got. He became more intimidating and he beat everyone. He played for the money not for the glory. Bugs was fearless and his aggressive style was awesome to watch. I remember the memories we lived and shared. I will remember Bugs. We played each other about 25 times. Every where we would meet we would play each other, it was our thing. We were both pool hustlers and we both loved action. Everyone was scared to play Bugs. Bugs and I loved the competition and that is why we loved playing each other. We have many stories and it was very exciting each time we played. We never talked while we played either. There were no cheap shots taken by either one of us, by checking each others rack, or by stealing balls or by forgetting to spot a scratch. Everything was above board. We never had a discrepancy and we had too much respect to cheat each other.
Bugs was a fierce competitor and when you played Bugs he would run out from anywhere on the table. He was a run out player and Bugs and Ronnie Allen were the best two run out players in life. Bugs and Taylor were the greatest two bankers in life. And Taylor might have been a little bit more consistent, but Bugs had more heart. Bugs would bet all the money on one game. If Taylor and Bugs would play in a tough neighborhood on bad equipment I would bet on Bugs because he had more heart and he was used to bad conditions. Taylor and Bugs were in a class by themselves. The two most intimidating one pocket players were Ronnie Allen and Bugs. And watching them play was very special. In their prime they would fill a stadium. I have had many great experiences with Bugs and they were all fun and exciting. Bugs was like a brother to me and at the end of his journey Bugs would tell me every time we talked for months he also loved me like a brother. Bugs always looked out for me and if someone would bother me he would step in and say he is with me and if you want a problem you and me can go outside and straighten it out. No one wanted a problem with bugs. He hung out with a tough crowd and everyone liked Bugs and Bugs was their hero. Bugs was to pool what Muhammad Ali was to boxing. I have known and been friends with Bugs for forty years. We never had an argument or disagreement. Bugs loved life and he never gave up. He once told me, Artie don’t ever give up and that is exactly what he did all the way to the end even though the odds were against him. I loved Bugs not for what he did but for who he was, a great man. There will only be one Bugs the unique kid with talent and an innocent smile that people loved and admired. His great attitude and love for people always showed his true colors.
Bugs was a cool character and people would point and say that’s Bugs the best bank pool player in the world. He had a very powerful nickname and a reputation to go with it. He was really in a class by himself. Bugs could have been anything he wanted to be, a pro baseball player, a pro basket ball player but he chose to become a champion pool player and hustler. Back in those days there were no tournaments so it was like this, hustle pool, get a job, or starve to death. He lived a good full exciting life. He was always his own boss and did it his way. I will miss Bugs and I’m sure the rest of the world will too.
Bugs never backed down from a challenge and loved competition. I remember a guy named Sunshine, he idolized Bugs in every way. He tried to bank like Bugs and even act like bugs. He would try to talk and walk and even dress like Bugs. He would say Bugs is the coolest guy on the planet. He was a younger version of Bugs and became a pretty good banker. Sunshine had a lot of talent but the rough pool environment got the best of him.
Bugs was ahead of his time in everything from talking, walking, dressing you name it. Bugs was the coolest man alive. And for all you rap stars and musicians I got news for you Bugs did it all fifty years ago. And he was a natural not a want to be cool guy. Bugs had an unbelievable following everywhere he went. Everyone wanted to see Bugs play. He was a great showman and when he got down to shoot you knew he was a great player. It was like watching Babe Ruth or Hank Aron at the plate. He had class and style like know one else. When he went to put powder on his hands he would get it all over the pool table. It looked like someone spilled a bag of cocaine on the table. I will always remember Bugs and I hope one day we will be together again. I know Bugs good friend Paul Jones will be waiting at the gate for him. They will be together in paradise. Bugs journey is just beginning and God wrapped his hands around him and said come with me Bugs to paradise you’ve suffered long enough.
My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and everyone that knew him. Good bye, my friend.

Arthur Bodendorfer
A beautiful tribute Artie well spoken and heartfelt. I only wish everyone could have seen Bugs play he was poetry in motion and was the epitomy of confidence. May he rest in peace

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
I went to say see you later to Bugs an icon the pool world may never see again , because he was one of a kind . There were lot of his friends that came to bid farewell and Bugs daughter was surprised about how many friends showed to pay honor to a legend . Freddy B said a very good eulogy about his longtime friend that choked him up several times , he held back the tears and finally said farewell . I know Bugs was watching all his friends sharing stories about his fantastic life . Artie B flew in from Vegas to pay his respect to guy he played many times that became his lifelong great friend and will always be in his thoughts . There were many many friends thru the years that battled on the table against each other celebrating Bugs and renewing there friendship with each other cause we just got old and dont see each other enough , but there will always be a bond us pool players from Chicago ! Win , lose or draw we all have great memories with each other and have stayed friends for years and thats worth more than money . A few of us got together and shared a nice meal in chinatown . Freddy , Artie , Larry Scwartz , Ed Young , Piggybank , John Bosnik , Watusi Slim and his son , Angel and her husband a young beautiful lady who loves pool and is making a documentary on pool players . A young man named Charles who is an up and coming player that Artie B gave some expert pool advice too . All in all it was a great night to say goodbye to a legend that will never be forgotten . I dont think Bugs ever realized that when he passed in our world and ventured to the next level of happiness that so many would come to show their love for a true champion that was nothing but class his whole life . Bugs never acted like a champion ! He just acted like a regular guy in the pool hall and maybe thats why he hardly missed a winning shot . He was a winner in life and just maybe , a bigger winner in death . One more thing his daughter said beautiful words about her father . It shocked me to hear her say that she never knew that he was a world champion playing pool ! I guess Bugs never brought the poolgame home . I hope someday in the distant future Bugs will ask me to borrow my cue so he win another game . R. I. P. CHAMP

Phil Guagliardo aka Race Track Phil

Too my southside friends I'll always be the Raven .

P S A great post by Artie B ! I know it came from his heart with love to his lifelong friend .

ironman

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Leonard “Bugs” Rucker

Arthur Bodendorfer

Wow!!!!
I simply can't think of another thing to say!
WOW!!!!

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
wish I had known..,....

wish I had known..,....

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Leonard “Bugs” Rucker

Arthur Bodendorfer

I wish I had known Bugs. Sounds like he was a hell of guy. RIP and Bank on Brother.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

Great eulogy,your perception of Bugs is right on,and i'm glad that you shared it for all the people that didn't know him, because now they do.I'm sorry I couldn't be there at the wake, but I couldn't get away, as badly as I wanted to,because I too loved Bugs. Chicago is one of my favorite places on earth,and I made a lot of friends there, I had a lot of good times there ,and a lot of memories with Bugs. I'm very proud of you for traveling a great distance to pay your respects ,it says a lot about you. God bless Bugs and you. Your friend Bill Incardona

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Memorial program and pics from the wake

Memorial program and pics from the wake

I have put up on my blog the memorial program, and six group photos of notable attendees that were taken at Bug's service. Just go to my website www.bankingwiththebeard.com and then double click on "Blog."
The service was wonderful, many of Chicago's finest players attended, mostly the old school guys, however. We had a little gospel singing and a little evangelistic preaching, it was great and uplifting. The guy who sang a solo gospel tune played as good as Lou Rawls. After the service about 16 of us went to Chinatown and had a feast at The House of Fortune. Ed Young, the cuemaker did the ordering. The champ had a really nice send-off.

the Beard