Dave Bollman Passed Away

JAM

Verified Member
He had cancer. As House Pro at Q-Masters, Dave had a little pro shop. He gave me a velvet case for my cuestick for free. I will never forget it. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

Barry Behrman took care of Dave while he was sick, never letting him want for anything.

Here's Dave with Buddy at the 2004 Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, NC.

Attachments

• Dave Bollman and Buddy Hall.JPG
    Dave Bollman and Buddy Hall.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 0

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Dave was a really good guy and a hell of a player, he beat me in the finals of the Roanoke one pocket championship in the 90's. I believe it was 1991, it can be found on accu stats.

Rest in peace my friend.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
The years pass and it is becoming more difficult to remember which year certain things happened but the memory of the events themselves remain intact. I played in two or three of the Roanoke One Pocket tournaments during the late 80s and early 90s and Dave was there as well. At least for one of them as I recall. This one episode I recall sitting in the bleachers with Dave as we watched Freddy Boggs and Dave White play a match. Dave was slated to play the winner.

I remember teasing Dave during this match as he was loosing patience with the slow progress. The first game took a lifetime, and the second game took eons. Watching the test screen on the early TVs after broadcast ended was more entertaining. White, in preparing for every shot would start his practice strokes, stop and turn his head to check that his elbow was in proper alignment. Freddy wore glasses, and when he got down on his shots his glasses would fall slightly down the bridge of his nose and with his free hand push the glasses back into position. And so, both he and Dave White had interesting idiosyncrasies which tended to slow things down all the more. I was laughing all the while at this exhibition of drying paint while Our friend D. B. was totally loosing control and wishing he were out playing golf somewhere, anywhere.

Dave wanted to go home and felt the whole thing just wasn't worth all this time and effort. The prize pool wasn't big enough or some such thing. He was complaining under his breath to me about the shot selection of these two players. Safety play being the overriding goal would be a gross understatement. I in turn, using my most upbeat tone of voice, explained to Dave how his living in Chesapeake Va. should allow him enough time to drive the short 150 miles back home, take a shower and a nap, and make it back to the tournament in plenty of time for his match with the winner of this nightmare. He would then be refreshed and eager to play.

He was not amused. God rest his soul.

Tom

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I never....

I never....

....knew the man but when I would see him at the tournaments in the 80's I remember thinking theres a golfer who's a good pool player.He was a gentleman to boot you could tell by his actions and demeanor.Via Condios senor.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I witnessed his finals match against Earl Strickland in the late 1989 or 1990 in Lexington KY at Danny's All Starts 9 ball tournament.

Dave lost the lag and didn't get a shot until the 4th game and it was a very reluctant 'push out' from Earl. Dave got up, went to the table, saw the layout and with his head down, told Earl "shoot".

Three games later, Buddy Hall got up from his seat and grabbed a towel from the player's tables nearby and through it on to the table, getting a roar from the crowd and Earl only needed a few more games to take the title.

I saw him again at QMasters while I was attending the US Open 9 ball tournament. I asked him if he remembered Buddy's towel toss and he laughed and said it was one of his most memorable defeats.

Bankin Ben

Verified Member
From
Millington TN.
I am so sorry to hear of Dave's passing. Back in the 80's I had in-laws who lived in Norfolk and I use to spend most of my time at Q-Masters. I met Dave the first year we went to visit at Christmas. Getting to know him and play some with him was a very nice experience. Dave and Barry always made me feel at home away from home. Both of them ask me why I didn't just move up there instead of visiting once a year. I still have a VCR tape of Dave playing Nick Varner in the Brunswick World Open in 1988. Still take it out and watch if there is nothing interesting on TV. You can imagine it gets a fair amount of watching...LOL. I will miss Dave a lot and I send my deepest sympathy to his family and Barry who was as much family to him as anyone.