The Ghost's One Pocket Manifesto

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
To start with I would like to say that I feel gratified to be part of the pool-playing brotherhood (past, present and future), who feel as passionately as I do, as to the absolute magnificence of the game of One Pocket. I think that One Pocket is one of the very greatest games/sports in the world, and all pool players who come to understand, appreciate, and seriously play One Pocket are blessed - and it’s a shame that outside of our small One Pocket subculture, no one in the outside world even knows that there is a game called One Pocket, and how significant of a challenging/complex/fascinating sporting endeavor it is.

Starting out in the late 1960's, I first watched and studied many of the great One Pocket players of that time: Ronnie Allen, Jersey Red, Bugs, Boston Shorty, Harold Worst, etc...then, just after that, when I was 19-25 yrs.old, living and growing up in (the pool halls of) Chicago, I was fortunate to have the opportunity to watch, up close and personal, Artie Bodendorfer (one of the best One Pocket players of all time, and a master of defensive One Pocket play) and top-speed One Pocket player Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker play many, many times - and this was at the time when Artie was playing his very best....and Chicago was also a bank pool mecca back in the 60's-70's, enabling me to play with, and learn from, great bank pool players like Bugs, Youngblood, Tough Tony, Freddie the Beard, etc. etc....then, in the ensuing 40-45 years since that time, I’ve both watched and played One Pocket against: Grady, Jack Cooney, Cliff Joiner (many times), Bugs (many times), Steve Cook, Alan Hopkins, Cornbread Red, Miami, Buddy Hall, Nick Varner, Efren, Jose Parica, Alex Pagulayan, Rodolfo Luat, Santos, Shannon D. Jeremy Jones, Rafael Martinez, Billy Palmer, and many more top players both past and present.

So, with the knowledge gained from 45 years of intently studying the game of One Pocket and it's top players, along with having countless gambling sessions/tournament matches against shortstop to top speed players myself (and having won my share of them), combined with my own strategy analysis, shot formulating, and overall visualizing of the game, I feel very strongly that I have ascertained the optimum methodology for playing the game of One Pocket at it's highest level....and I have, and currently do, teach/give One Pocket lessons according to my concept of the game, including having taught two of the top 25 One Pocket players in the world today....also, for the record, my One Pocket teaching, knowledge and visualizing of the game were highly spoken of by acclaimed Billiards Digest editor/columnist George Fels in one of his Billiards Digest 'tips and shafts' columns several years ago.

Ok, I need to say that I’ve been extremely annoyed for years by all of this clueless, idiotic debating about which is right, or better, the supposed Chicago/Philly/East coast, strong defense/low risk/trapping/squeeze style of One Pocket - or the so-called modern/left coast/aggressive/ball running style of One Pocket...Well, the two reasons this foolish debate, and incorrect positing annoys me are these...#1. This constantly parroted claim of there being a rigid geographic distinction re. the two styles of play, is untrue...and #2. Because this ongoing debate speaks as if these are the only two philosophies/styles of One Pocket play to subscribe to...when in fact, playing just one of either of these two styles, is not playing optimum One Pocket – why in the world would anyone want to limit themselves to just one of those styles, rather than employing the full spectrum of productive One Pocket play...meaning ----->

When playing/thinking at the very highest level of one pocket, the only correct way to play One Pocket is within a matrix whereby you are at all times during the game, ready and able to draw upon either of the two aforementioned styles: Relentless, aggressive, fear-inducing offense, or, lockdown, trapping, table-controlling, suffocating, precision-defense...deciding which of these style's to employ will be correctly analyzed and determined in every different inning/shot of yours when at the table...and whenever possible, like a master alchemist, you should forge both styles together on the same shot - thus creating - One Pocket gold.

Also, take note that to play top speed one pocket, you need to: #1. Have a very high level of creativity/imagination/vision to be applied to all phases of the game...#2. You must be an excellent banker, proficient at all one rail and multi-rail banks - along with having a locked-in muscle memory for hitting banks at precisely 'pocket-speed'...#3. You need to have extensive knowledge of kick shots, combination shots, carom shots, carom angles, deflection angles, and multi-rail billiard angles...#4. You must have the strategic capabilities and mind set of a military General or a Chess Grandmaster, and #5. Like the Las Vegas line-makers, you must be - a Wizard of Odds.

Your shot choice should always be predicated on the correct analysis of several factors - the primary ones being: Table layout, ball score, match score, pocket size, table conditions - and also the One Pocket playing level, playing style, knowledge, skill set, heart, and ego tendencies of your opponent....and of course, all shot choices must factor in your own skill set/ability.

So, all of that said, every time that you step to the table (unless you have an obvious ball to make, you have a significant ball-count lead in the game, or you're in a trap) you should be determinedly, unrelentingly, looking to aggressively attack...but if you can’t find a viable offensive shot of any type, then you don’t force the issue – that’s where the smart part comes in…..Instead, you play a suffocating safety/put your opponent in a trap - this most often meaning: leaving your opponent frozen against a ball or balls so that he has nothing but negative or low percentage shot options available to him...and if that’s not possible, then you at least will re-position the ball layout in some way that helps your cause - i.e. move balls as close as possible to your pocket, or move balls from near his pocket or on his side of the table over to your pocket's side of the table, or tie up balls on his side, or open up balls and banking/shooting lanes on your side of the table - and/or leave him facing balls from a snookered position, jacked up, or with an awkward angle...and while doing any of this, if possible always endeavor to leave the cueball frozen on the rail - don‘t under-value this - it severely limits your opponents options and execution when he can only address the top of the cueball...

Ok, more about moving, but on a smaller scale - often referred to as "simple shots"...but when given proper consideration, and then successfully executed - they're really not simple shots at all...

One Pocket is very often not about having the opportunity to pocket a ball, run balls, bank a ball in, or shoot appealing, gratifying power shots...you must also give total-focus attention and respect to the countless 'small shots' of One Pocket - and you must have the limitless patience, desire and work ethic required to do this...meaning that, there will be many many games, where you have nothing else available to you for 5, 10, or 15 straight innings other then to bunt balls, or to glance the cueball off of balls to have it only travel a few inches - but to a very specific place...and when you are in those types of situations ---> you should patiently and intently shoot these 'seemingly' simple little shots as perfectly as you possibly can every time, striving to gain a strategic edge on your opponent in these intense, and often crucial, miniature battles...

And let me also stress this...before playing any important safety, it's crucial to analyze precisely, the very best place to leave the cueball in order to leave your opponent in the toughest possible return shot position...that said..before you shoot, whenever this can't be accurately determined from your shooting position..walking over to where you are thinking of leaving the cueball, and correctly envisioning your opponent's responding options is something that you should always do.

Now I’m an NFL fan, and as such, I’ve always drawn some parallels in my mind between One Pocket and pro football/One Pocket players and pro football quarterbacks.....so obviously football teams have to score (with a variety of plays, like One Pocket's variety of shots) and also they have to defend against the other teams offensive attack.....and just like in One Pocket, football teams also play the score..i.e. - 'playing safe' (running the ball/short conservative passes) when being a fair amount ahead, and conversely going for lower % but high yield plays when a fair amount behind in the score...and quarterbacks have to read the field like we read the table and then make a decision to act…a quarterbacks ‘opponent’ is the cornerbacks, safeties, and linebackers - so, as a good One Pocket players should analyze his opponents skill set, mind set, and tendencies, a quarterback needs to know the tendencies/abilities of the different defensive backs and the defensive schemes being used against him…..and maturity is key - i.e. a young quarterback who throws 25-30 picks in a season, from forcing passes into double coverage, or not correctly reading the defense, is just like the overly aggressive young One Pocket player, who much too often goes for risky, low percentage shots, misses them too often and sells out…..To keep my football analogy going, if you want to play One Pocket at the highest level and as it should be played - just play it the way Joe Montana played quarterback back in the day - or like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers play nowadays - very, very smart.

Back to shot choices…Your first desired shot choice of course, is to make a ball in your pocket.…but if you have the opportunity to pocket a ball, and the shot is not a ‘hanger’ - then whether you should choose to shoot this shot in a given situation will depend partially on all of the factors that I mentioned a few paragraphs earlier - but it will primarily be based on two factors: the ‘makeability’ percentage of the shot combined with the risk/reward equation - of which there are countless variations…obviously there’s no time here to go into this at great length, covering all of the countless percentages and risk/reward probabilities..but to cover this a little, here are a few interesting risk/reward comparisons interconnected with the makeability factor - and we'll use mathematical/strategic One Pocket-thought-processing in considering the following three situations...

Let's say that hypothetically, you are one of two (evenly matched) players, playing in a One Pocket tournament....you are playing even - both going to 8balls, tied up 2-2 in games and playing in the all important final game of your tournament race to three. In this first situation the ball score is 0-0 and you have a shot that you are 85% likely to make in your pocket – and after making it, there are two more available balls for you to run (easy to run) - but only two - and, you will leave three sure balls for your opponent to pocket if you miss - but no more than three…...In the second scenario, the ball score is once again 0-0, and you have a shot that you are 50% likely to make in your pocket, but you will be able to easily run four more balls if you make it, and leave just one ball for your opponent to for sure pocket if you miss…In each of these two situations I would say going for the shot is a good risk/reward choice...and also, I think the two very different ball-count situations are fairly equal choices when compared to each other, viability-wise.......For our third and final situation, the ball score is 3-3....the shot that you are considering shooting has an 80% makeability rating for you, but there are no other balls for you to make afterwards - you can only get one - and you will leave your opponent a sure two balls if you miss...should you shoot the shot in this situation?....it's a tougher choice to make this time - maybe about a 50-50 choice.

Anyway, this is an overview of some of my concepts of playing One Pocket correctly. To go further, we would need many, many hours of discussion, and we would also obviously, need to be on a table, to, among other things, analyze dozens of very specific game situations, re. early, middle, and endgame strategies. Anyone who would like to contact me re. this manifesto, or to inquire about lessons - you can e-mail me at ghosttown@email.com.

- One Pocket Ghost

Last edited:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
Ghost ... I only agree on 99.3 percent of what you said here.

great stuff !

SJDinPHX

Suspended
A sad reminder, indeed !!!

A sad reminder, indeed !!!

=one pocket ghost

First let me ask everyone to please note Dick's compliment to me for what I wrote - it's not too often that I get that from him...maybe about as often as the Cubs win a World Series.....and the first time I posted my One Pocket philosophy, 4 years ago, Dick also complimented me by saying: "a perfect description by the Ghost of how One Pocket is supposed to be played" (I have that post saved so he can't ever deny sincerely saying it)....this was just two months after he joined the site, and he had not yet switched over to unrelenting 'sarcastic mode' - he was polite and neighborly back then believe it or not (although I'm not sure if he was to Freddy)...You never sent me the $$$, for that glowing endorsement !!

Grossty,

May I please point out, that I NEVER had a sarcastic bone in my body, until coming on this site, and being subjected to an endless
stream of 'twaddle and pap", from two guy's I'd never even heard of, who attacked me as a "newbie"..:rolleyes:...All this, while enduring, an occasional [sic] very STRONG dose of bra*gadocia, AND some huge quantities of pure unadulterated "Bullcaca"...It was overwhelming !.:frus

Sooooo, I took a 'crash course' from Don Rickles, and set out to try and 'jokingly' tease them into some level of sanity.(or sobriety)
Alas, all my efforts were in vain... But, the outnumbered, "Friendly Duck" gave it his best shot..;) (sorry if the fact that you often sided with your 'homey's', may have caused some unintended [sic] "collateral damage")

LameDuck.......Formally SuperDuck !

PS..How was I to know EVERYONE from Ch---go, was so 'epid**mally chal**nged' ?..:eek:......Plus, They often sent their
'Mob Guy's', to beat me unmercifully....LOOK...:(
View attachment 4699

Last edited:

timdog24

Verified Member
I'll be looking to bust anyone with a one pocket "Manifesto" at the DCC:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'll be looking to bust anyone with a one pocket "Manifesto" at the DCC :)

Oh really?....well, I'll tell you what...I'm going to print out a copy of my "manifesto" (sounds kinda like a real fancy Italian dish that Freddy might cook up)...and at the DCC I'm going to give it to a certain Filipino player that I know and tell him to put it in his pocket - then I'm going to point you out to him and tell him to ask you to play because "you're looking to bust him"...:)...

And when he asks me your name, I will say it is timdog...and when he asks me > "but why would he have that name - doesn't the word dog in english poolroom slang mean someone who pukes all over himself and misses shots?) - I will say, yes, as a matter of fact it does...:heh...:D

- Gh:lolst

tylerdurden

Verified Member
A great read. Thanks for posting this. I love how you emphasized rail cb placement. Brumback was talking about that in the bank pool section on things to practice as well.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ghost ... I only agree on 99.3 percent of what you said here.

great stuff !

Hey Tony....Is the .7 % that you don't believe is true, the part where I said that 4 years ago SJDuck used to respond to members posts in a polite and friendly manner?...:D...:p

timdog24

Verified Member
Oh really?....well, I'll tell you what...I'm going to print out a copy of my "manifesto" (sounds kinda like a real fancy Italian dish that Freddy might cook up)...and at the DCC I'm going to give it to a certain Filipino player that I know and tell him to put it in his pocket - then I'm going to point you out to him and tell him to ask you to play because "you're looking to bust him"...:)...

And when he asks me your name, I will say it is timdog...and when he asks me > "but why would he have that name - doesn't the word dog in english poolroom slang mean someone who pukes all over himself and misses shots?) - I will say, yes, as a matter of fact it does...:heh...:D

I'd gladly accept your Filipino friend's offer, but it must be - one game of one pocket/ one game of basketball. I'd also tell him to let all of his other manifesto carrying countrymen know about that offer.:)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'd gladly accept your Filipino friend's offer, but it must be - one game of one pocket/ one game of basketball. I'd also tell him to let all of his other manifesto carrying countrymen know about that offer..:)

If I could arrange that - I'd be double-steering and taking half of your action...:eek:...:)

- Gho$t

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I said that 4 years ago SJDuck used to respond to members posts in a polite and friendly manner?...:D...:p

He was such a nice & friendly & polite & happy Duck until the Chicago gang got ahold of him. AB & FB were each pulling a wing and the Ghost was punching him in the chest. How could a Duck survive???

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
He was such a nice & friendly & polite & happy Duck until the Chicago gang got ahold of him. AB & FB were each pulling a wing and the Ghost was punching him in the chest. How could a Duck survive???

Dennis

he made it to the HALL OF FAME:D
not bad just sayin:rolleyes:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Dennis

C'mon now Dennis...please don't put the harmless Ghost in the same category with those two killers..:eek:..I have never punched Papie in the chest - all I ever do is stick the needle in...and maybe twist it a little..;)...:D >>>

- Gh:hehst

Attachments

• goose4.jpg
    goose4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Ghostie, you wouldn't slip in a picture of a chicken, would you, when responding to a post about a duck? And by the way, do you know what animal husbandry is? What about bestiality? Are they the same - sort of? :D

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Ghostie, you wouldn't slip in a picture of a chicken, would you, when responding to a post about a duck? And by the way, do you know what animal husbandry is? What about bestiality? Are they the same - sort of? :D

V-man

Another point one might make, re; Ghroasty, (if one were crude enough) is how did he get lucky enough to find Riva ?. Surely, he must NEVER have allowed her to see this forum...Otherwise, she would have known of his [sic] SHORTcomings..

He was well known, as an ogler of fat bottomed women, and/or $3 hooker's. In fact, I have even heard, he voraciously indulged...in some of the Beard's sexual proclivities, i.e ...de-flowering innocent, underage runaway girl's, a passion for $3 hookers, Transgender escapades...and possibly even 'beastiality'..:eek:

But, luckily, his sordid past endeavors, are safe with me...My beak is sealed !!
(providing of course he removes all his 'clever' [sic] caveman pics, and apologizes)

Benevolent Duck...(for now..)..:cool:

View attachment 4728

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
First let me ask everyone to please note Dick's compliment to me for what I wrote - it's not too often that I get that from him...maybe about as often as the Cubs win a World Series..:)...and the first time I posted my One Pocket philosophy, 4 years ago, Dick also complimented me by saying: "a perfect description by the Ghost of how One Pocket is supposed to be played" (I have that post saved so he can't ever deny sincerely saying it)....this was just two months after he joined the site, and he had not yet switched over to unrelenting 'sarcastic mode' - he was polite and neighborly back then :eek: believe it or not (although I'm not sure if he was to Freddy)...:D

Ok tyler, here's an updated copy of that post re. some of my One Pocket teaching/philosophy that I made 4 years ago >>>

PS, It's almost as long as one of Artie's old posts...:sorry

First off I just want to say that like Grady, (Grady comes to my mind first, as someone who I know feels as passionately/strongly as I do about the magnificence of the game of One Pocket) I think that one pocket is one of the greatest game/sports in the world, and all of us pool players who learn to understand, appreciate, and play it, are blessed - and it’s a shame that outside of our small pool/One Pocket subculture, no one in the world even knows that there is a game called One Pocket and how significant as a challenging/complex/fascinating sporting endeavor it is

40-45 years ago, I watched and studied some of the great One Pocket players of that time: Jersey Red, Johnny Ervolino, Boston Shorty, Harold Worst, etc - and also, I intently watched Artie play many, many times back in the day, when I was 20-25 yrs.old, and Artie was playing his very best)....then, in the 40 years since, I’ve both watched and played One Pocket against: Efren, Jose Parica, Grady, Jack Cooney, Cliff (many times), Bugs (many times), Steve Cook, Alan Hopkins, Cornbread Red, Miami, Buddy Hall, Nick Varner, Shannon D. Jeremy Jones, Rafael Martinez, Billy Palmer, and many more top players both past and present…..I’ve also played my buddy Freddy the Beard dozens of times, and we’ve also been partners many times playing partners one pocket – and let me just say that we made pretty good partners, ie. we usually liked the same shot, so we didn’t fight too much – but when we did occasionally disagree strongly on a shot choice there could be some yelling, and smug/indignant stares at each other :D...

So, with all those years of studying the game and all the playing experience, combined with my own strategy analysis, shot formulating, and overall visualizing of the game, I feel very strongly that I know the optimum way to play One Pocket…..and I have, and currently do, teach/give One Pocket lessons according to my personal concept of the game, including having given many lessons to one of the top 12 current One Pocket players…..also for the record, my One Pocket teaching and one pocket philosophy/visualizing were highly spoken of by George Fels in one of his Billiards Digest columns several years ago...

I want to say that I’ve been annoyed for years by all of this debating about which is right, or better, the Chicago/Philly/East coast never shoot at your hole squeeze style of one pocket, or the so-called modern/left coast aggressive fire at your hole style of one pocket….Well, the reasons it bugs me are, first of all I don't think the geographic absolute that this debate speaks of is really true, and secondly - because this ongoing debate speaks as if these are the only two philosophies of One Pocket play to subscribe to, when in fact neither style is correct – why would you want to limit yourself to just one of those styles, rather than employing the full spectrum of One Pocket play...The correct way to play One Pocket is a melding of both of those styles...

When playing/thinking at the very highest level of one pocket, you will have a perfect melding of those two styles in your head to employ every time that you step to the table – which of these two styles you will be leaning towards, and will take precedence, will be correctly analyzed and determined in every different inning of yours at the table...…also, to play one pocket at this level you need a very high level of creativity/imagination/vision….

Your shot choice should always be predicated on your correct analysis of several factors, the primary ones being: Table layout, ball score, match score, pocket size - and also the One Pocket style, skill set, heart, and ego tendencies of your opponent….And of course, all shot choices must factor in your own skill set/ability…

The first thing that I tell a new One Pocket student of mine is that I can sum up my conception of how I believe correct One Pocket should be played, and what your objective should be at all times in one sentence:

Smart, well-calculated aggressive attacking, combined with suffocating, lock-down safety play.

In other words, every time that you step to the table (unless you have an obvious ball to make, or you're in a death trap) you should be ferociously, unrelentingly, looking to attack - but if you can’t find a viable offensive shot, then you don’t force the issue – that’s where the smart part comes in…..Instead, play a suffocating safety/put your opponent in a trap, and if that’s not possible, then at least re-position the ball layout in some way that helps your cause…i.e. move balls from his side of the table to your side - tie up balls on his side, or open up balls or banking/shooting lanes on your side of the table - and/or leave him facing balls from a snookered or awkward angle...and while doing any of this, always endeavor to leave the cueball on the rail - don‘t undervalue this, it severely limits your opponents options and execution, when he can only address the top of the cueball...

I’m a big pro football fan, and as such I’ve always drawn a parallel in my mind between One Pocket players and pro football quarterbacks...quarterbacks have to read the field like we read the table and then make a decision to act…and their ‘opponent’ is the cornerbacks, safeties, and linebackers, so, like we one pocket players analyze our opponent, a quarterback needs to know the tendencies/abilities of different defensive backs and the defensive schemes being used against him….Now a young quarterback who throws 25-30 picks in a season from forcing passes into double coverage, or not correctly reading the defense, is just like the overly aggressive young One Pocket player going for a risky, very low percentage shot, missing it and selling out…..To keep my football analogy going, if you want to play One Pocket at the highest level and as it should be played, just play it the way Joe Montana played quarterback back in the day - or like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers play nowadays - smart...

Back to shot choices…..Your first desired shot choice is of course to make a ball in your pocket… now if you have this opportunity to pocket a ball, and the shot is not a ‘hanger’ - then whether you should choose to shoot the shot in a given situation depends primarily on two factors: ‘makeability’ percentage and the risk/reward equation - of which there‘s countless variations…..There’s no time here to go into this completely, covering all of the many percentages and risk/reward probabilities - but for an example, here are a few interesting risk/reward comparisons combined with the makeability factor, that use mathematical/strategic One Pocket-thought-processing to consider the situations:

Hypothetically, we’ll say the game and match score is 0-0.…In one scenario,
you have a shot that you are 90% likely to make in your pocket – and after making it, there are only two more available balls for you to run (easy to run) - and you will also leave two sure balls for your opponent to pocket if you miss - but no more than two….In the second scenario, you have a shot that you are 65% likely to make in your pocket, but you will be able to easily run four more balls if you make it and leave just one ball for your opponent to pocket if you miss…..In each of these two situations I would say going for the shot is a good risk/reward choice....and also, I think the two very different situations are fairly equal choices when compared to each other viability-wise.......For our third and final situation (a tougher choice than the last two situations), let's say the shot you have to pocket the ball has an 85% makeability rating for you, there are no other balls for you to make afterwards - you can only get one, and you will leave your opponent a sure three balls, if you miss - should you shoot the shot in this situation?

Anyway, this is an overview of some of my concepts of correct One Pocket play. To go further, we would have to be on a table and analyze dozens of very specific game situations. Anyone who would like to pm me about any of this, or about lessons, feel free to.

- Ghost

Good stuff, Ghost.

I do feel like something is missing..

For many of us of less than star level, there is also the issue of the daily variability of our play. Somehow I think that needs to be factored in. IOW, at our general level of play I don't believe we consistently play at a singular level, but rather within the parameters of a given level of play. Shot to shot, that affects all the critical decisions you mention in your manifesto.

I played a guy today and started out playing at the bottom of my level (who knows, maybe even below that). But I hung around and at about four games stuck, I hit a gear and won six straight, running balls effortlessly, banking well, and playing solid defense, maybe near the top of my personal "parameters." I think that "slosh factor" needs to be accounted for too.

Just a thought.

Lou Figueroa

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good stuff, Ghost.

I do feel like something is missing..

For many of us of less than star level, there is also the issue of the daily variability of our play. Somehow I think that needs to be factored in. IOW, at our general level of play I don't believe we consistently play at a singular level, but rather within the parameters of a given level of play. Shot to shot, that affects all the critical decisions you mention in your manifesto.

I played a guy today and started out playing at the bottom of my level (who knows, maybe even below that). But I hung around and at about four games stuck, I hit a gear and won six straight, running balls effortlessly, banking well, and playing solid defense, maybe near the top of my personal "parameters." I think that "slosh factor" needs to be accounted for too.

Just a thought.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, let me start out by saying that all players... even the top players speed varies. There are so many factors that affect the way we play, but your right that the variation of speed is less with top players, only because they play more regularly and also play more consistently to their top speed. Top players know what to do a much higher % of the time which obviously eliminates much of the guessing that a lesser player is confronted with. Your point on the speed variation of lesser players is pretty accurate and should be factored in, but I believe we all factor in intangibles, in terms of quickness of hitting a gear and our own habits at the table, along with our mental state of mind. That all falls under the scope of "management" and that' what's going to give us "sloshers" a chance at the end. :D

Billy I.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Lou, let me start out by saying that all players... even the top players speed varies. There are so many factors that affect the way we play, but your right that the variation of speed is less with top players, only because they play more regularly and also play more consistently to their top speed. Top players know what to do a much higher % of the time which obviously eliminates much of the guessing that a lesser player is confronted with. Your point on the speed variation of lesser players is pretty accurate and should be factored in, but I believe we all factor in intangibles, in terms of quickness of hitting a gear and our own habits at the table, along with our mental state of mind. That all falls under the scope of "management" and that' what's going to give us "sloshers" a chance at the end. :D

Billy I.

I was talking to JR Hendy about this today. For some reason the past few weeks, my consistency has been consistent. Game, money management has been good and I have been keeping my mental mistakes to a minimum. Correcting myself when I feel like I am getting lazy on a shot or turn at the table. The things that normally will cost you a game if you overlook them. Even booked winners for a few weeks.:lol:heh What did he say? "Don't worry, that will change".:frus:eek:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Billy I.

Thank you, Doctor. It is good to know the ailment is not so rare and that even the champions suffer the same woes now and then :)

Lou Figueroa